Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a tax on cosmetic procedures to fund health care reform?
Yes 9 39.13%
No 13 56.52%
Not sure 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Um newsflash. Tax is already charged at restaurants!!! That was my point. Eating out is a luxury as is the idea of going on a vacation which includes eating out. Lol. And restaurants charge a sales tax on their bills.

Cosmetics are also chrarged a sales tax! Clothes are too for that matter! Who says anything about 20%? no one mentioned any percentages just a tax wih no details. If we are talking that high then I feel it is indeed too high. But charging for cosmetic surgery along the lines we already charge for items is fine with me
I'm suggesting an EXTRA "luxury" tax of say 25% should be charged because these things are unnecessary according to you and are luxuries according to you and those who indulge in these luxuries should be willing to pay extra for healthcare.

Sounds fair to you, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

There is a HUGE difference between medicine /procedures that are needed for life sustainment and some woman who wants to make her lips look plumper
Actually, according to Obamacare, there's NO difference between the two. The woman who wants to make her lips look plumper will be taxed.
So will the guy he needs a pacemaker (or hip replacement, crutches, wheelchair, etc.). A new 2.5% tax on medical devices. What's the logic behind that?

Old 11-21-2009, 01:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
New Jersey already has a 6% tax on cosmetic procedures. Reports are that it's generated a lot less revenue for the state than was expected, in part, because patients can easily go to New York or Pennsylvania for the same procedures.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Actually, according to Obamacare, there's NO difference between the two. The woman who wants to make her lips look plumper will be taxed.
So will the guy he needs a pacemaker (or hip replacement, crutches, wheelchair, etc.). A new 2.5% tax on medical devices. What's the logic behind that?
What are you talking about? We're talking about a proposal to tax cosmetic procedures. There's nothing in this specific proposal about taxing crutches, wheelchairs, or hip replacements.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,311 times
I'm talking about the new tax contained in the bill now under debate. 2.5% on medical devices, as a way to help fund reform.

The arguement was made that taxing non-vital procedures was appropriate. I'm simply noting that apparently taxing life-saving devices is considered appropriate as well (according to the bill).

Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm suggesting an EXTRA "luxury" tax of say 25% should be charged because these things are unnecessary according to you and are luxuries according to you and those who indulge in these luxuries should be willing to pay extra for healthcare.

Sounds fair to you, doesn't it?
Nowhere in this thread was an additional luxury tax of that high a percentage mentoned anywhere. And in my previous response to you I cleary state that that percentage is too high.

All that was mentioned is a tax being proposed on elective cosmetic procedures period. Just like there is a tax o. Many of the elective items we purchase. Then you all get your panties in a bunch trying to say that we are going to have to tax this or that and this or that when your arguments are ridiculous as they are already taxed. Non essential items in our economy carry wih it a tax period. None of them are remotely at that 20% Level. If you want to exhaust yourself with your ridiculous overstretcb of an argument go right ahead. That is your headache.

My answer is yes. Cosmetic surgeries should have a sales like tax imposed on it with a few exceptions. And at no more than any other non essentials we tax like cosmetics, restaurant eating out, cars,tv, cell phones and service etc

Old 11-21-2009, 02:25 PM

403 posts, read 534,716 times
hey, if theres a sin tax, there should be a fake biddies tax too.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
hey, if theres a sin tax, there should be a fake biddies tax too.
There shouldn't be a "sin tax" either. Just that term bothers me. The government shouldn't be playing the role of moralist.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There shouldn't be a "sin tax" either. Just that term bothers me. The government shouldn't be playing the role of moralist.

But...but...don't we have a secular government where church and state are separate?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Well, it's just ridiculous! I think I'm gonna become a republican! Oh, wait! I AM a republican!

Seriously, though, as I said earllier in this thread, I always vote republican primarily because I am staunchly, and I do mean, staunchly pro-life. But economically, if you want to call it that, I have always held some rather strong democratic leanings. (My husband somewhat derisively calls me "a closet democrat.")This issue, however, about just deciding to tax something willy-nilly like cosmetic surgery, or medical devices? has made me really evaluate my political philosophies. I just don't believe communism works and I'm sorry, but this is what this smacks of to me.

Please don't tell me we already have a "luxury tax" and therefore, it's right. Maybe that is wrong as well. Just because it's been taxed in the past and has precedent doesn't make it right.

I know this is unpopular to say, but actually, it seems more equitable and tolerable to me to raise (income) taxes across the board IF taxes must be raised than to just pick out some things "willy nilly" and say that we're going to now "tax" that. (Don't shoot me. I don't like that idea either but for whatever reason, to me it seems more "just" somehow.)

Anyhow, this issue really has caused me to evaluate where I stand on things. Maybe I really AM a true republican!

Last edited by kaykay; 11-23-2009 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies