Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've had enough of this idiotic behavior in the black community. It's just down right sick. There is a segment of the black population that is causing problems for the blacks that are productive and want to live a higher quality of life.

MOST black areas in major cities are total WAR ZONES. I talk with friends and family about this isse very often.

It's hard for blacks with decent incomes to find establishments that cater to blacks because those damn thugs have destroyed black communities across the country.

They tear up the properties and the violence is unbelievable. I'd like to go to a high end restaurants and stores owned by blacks but it's hard to find areas in major cities that have not been over taken black poor black thug culture.

Heck I'd like to go high end stores owned by whites if they were opening up shop in black areas but they don't and I cannot blame them.

I would bet and like to believe if those destroyed black areas in the cities were majority middle class to upper class blacks with decent to high incomes and high net worth, whites and blacks alike would open businesses in those areas.

It am totally disappointed considering all of the years of hard work blacks have put in fighting for civil rights. I also would like to add that whites helped fight for the civil rights of blacks as well. It seems as if it has been wasted. :-(

I'll probably get bashed for this thread because someone will make up 1 million excuses is to why the behavior is justified.

What are some possible solutions?
I think poverty is more of a factor but the black thug culture doesn't help matters either. This problem has been intensified with rap music and BET's slow desent into garbage. Even in Tupac and NWA's age they were only making violent music to get attention to their neighborhoods and problems. Nowadays, it's all about glorifying violence and making several babies and sleeping with anything that walks and making them dollars by any means necessary.

Honestly, I agree with NewtoCA on blacks who have decent incomes moving up out of these areas. It's a self-defeating cycle that is going to take a drastic mindset conversion to change and that answer is not Obama's election.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Speaking to the young and breaking the cycle
By then it will be to late. Unless by young you mean infants. It starts in the crib and is so ingrained that anything short of removing black children from their circumstances and placing them in conservative families with Cosby values will be doomed to falure. Fixing this will be an inside job.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,855,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
By then it will be to late. Unless by young you mean infants. It starts in the crib and is so ingrained that anything short of removing black children from their circumstances and placing them in conservative families with Cosby values will be doomed to falure. Fixing this will be an inside job.
Agreed.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,491 times
Quote:
That's a pretty daft thing to say.

My family is quite left leaning. My aunt and uncle who are uber-venture-capitalists are left leaning. Every marginally to highly successful black family that I know is left leaning. And I'm willing to bet that a greater proportion of the well to do black families in the states are left at least relatively to the general population.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
That's the daftest thing I've read all morning.

My family is quite left leaning. My aunt and uncle who are uber-venture-capitalists are left leaning. Every marginally to highly successful black family that I know is left leaning. And I'm willing to bet that a greater proportion of the well to do black families in the states are left at least relatively to the general population.
The only flaw in your response here, is that the majority of blacks in this country are left leaning. So the majority that are well to do are left leaning, and also the majority that are poor are left leaning etc...

Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
The only flaw in your response here, is that the majority of blacks in this country are left leaning. So the majority that are well to do are left leaning, and also the majority that are poor are left leaning etc...
I'd argue that the majority of the poor are largely apolitical, who don't give a damn about Democrats or Republicans.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'd argue that the majority of the poor are largely apolitical, who don't give a damn about Democrats or Republicans.
Again, and I apologize if I'm stepping on any toes here, as a white girl I'd have to agree with Ovacatto, and I only feel qualified to speak because I used to live in a black working class neighborhood.

During the 2004 election cycle, no one where I lived seemed super energized about the Kerry campaign. When I went to vote in my district, there were plenty of people there, but they weren't super enthusiastic. During the Obama campaign, by contrast, they were. And I don't think this was merely because he was black. When I went to bbq joints, barbershops (well, not really, because I'm a white girl, but some people will know what I mean), and similar places, black people were talking. It seemed to me that all I had to do was say, "hey, Obama at least seems pretty cool as compared to Bush" and I was automatically part of the club--looks could be exchanged, palms could touch, there could be a high five or two.

I really think that that had less to do with the fact that Obama was phenotypically apparently black and more to do with the fact that he spoke to the problems that plague people in working class neighborhoods, whether they are black, brown, tan, or white. He seemed to understand that it is expensive to be poor, for one thing. Bush never seemed to have a clue about that. In spite of some people's insistence that Bush would be cool to have a beer with, people like me and my neighbors never really got that memo. We seemed to feel that Bush had no idea that where you had a beer might matter because of how much the beer would cost. We also felt that he had no idea that if we bounced a check, it cost a lot of money from our point of view compared to when richer people did. If you have a thousand dollars in the bank and you get charged $30, that is proportionately cheap. If, in contrast, you have one hundred dollars in the bank and you get charged $30, that is almost a third of your money.

Obama seemed to understand that basic difference. There really wasn't much street thug culture in that neighborhood, but there was, about six blocks away, a few drug dealers and some prostitutes. I was pretty "whatever" about that: no one ever bothered me because I wasn't in the market for what they were selling. That is not to say that those things aren't a problem in some places. In some places the violence resulting from the economics of those activities really does spill over and affect entire communities. My experiences in this neighborhood with neighbors who were overall basically lovely leads me to mistrust most white people when they talk about "black thug culture." Conversely, when black people talk about it, I want to listen, and just chime in here and there when I think I might have something worth saying to say.

This preference is due to the simple fact that living among black people has led me to believe that most white people--many of whom claimed my neighborhood was unsafe based on the scantest evidence--have no idea what they are talking about when they talk about the so-called "black experience." So that's my contribution to the conversation: it's true that there is a "black thug culture," but it's also true that there is a "white thug culture," and I think that problem is bigger. But that doesn't really matter, because both of these thug cultures hurt all of us. Our children, and trust me, I was once one of them, grow up seeing all of this, and we lie to them. Then we stupidly wonder why they are f---ed up. We should start telling the truth both to each other and to them. That might help, and it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,783,951 times
Quote:
Cosby values
Do you mean like sexually harrassing women, being accused of rape by several women, and cheating on your wife? Those kind of values?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would argue the point, that many of the poor, consider themselves democrat, and the ones that vote, most will vote democrat, mainly because they have been told most of their lives that the democrats are the party for the poor, for minorities etc...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I would argue the point, that many of the poor, consider themselves democrat, and the ones that vote, most will vote democrat, mainly because they have been told most of their lives that the democrats are the party for the poor, for minorities etc...
Most Blacks that I know are not strictly left or right leaning. Majority of the time it is a combination of both, at least that is the way I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies