Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 AM

27,203 posts, read 46,522,862 times

Advertisements

No one in my direct family had any issue due to a pap smear test ....but one was treated after stage 3A was discovered at the age of 27....so what is more risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:46 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
No one in my direct family had any issue due to a pap smear test ....but one was treated after stage 3A was discovered at the age of 27....so what is more risk?
I'm sorry for your relative. Do keep in mind:

1. Anecdotes do not make a case

2. No one is recommending that pap smears be eliminated. They are merely recommending starting potentially later, and doing them every two years on women in their 20s.

Many women don't follow the once a year rule to the day, anyway.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,209,589 times
Well, I am a Republican and therefore no big fan of the Obama administration.

However, that said,....I'm not sure that this is big news about cervical screening, at least the part about not annually. I have heard for several years now that women who have not previously had an abnormal pap could go 3 years, not one between pap smears.

So I asked my dr what he thought about this, and I thought his answer had some wisdom. He said basically that cervical cancer is generally a slow growing cancer and that IF we could depend on a given pap smear to be 100% reliable, then yeah, you could probably go 3 years but he did NOT feel that paps are 100% reliable. Therefore, he felt it was better to do them yearly on the off chance that something was there but might not have been picked up the previous year.

I might add that at my age now (54) I will certainly be trying to do the annual pap smear. One of the ladies who worked in my building is deceased now. She was diagnosed with uterine cancer which had spread apparently from the cervix. She said she had kept up with her paps until the last few years when she let down. She felt if she had not, her cancer would have been discovered at an earlier stage.

My overall point here? I'm not sure I agree that less frequency than annually on the pap is a good idea medically, but I also don't believe these allegedly "new" recommendations are politically motivated. I just don't.

Last edited by kaykay; 11-20-2009 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,677,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have no reason not to take this woman at her word. If Sen. McCain had been elected I would feel the same:

"But the timing was coincidental, said Dr. Cheryl B. Iglesia, the chairwoman of a panel in the obstetricians’ group that developed the Pap smear (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/specialtopic/pap-smear-and-treatment/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier - broken link) guidelines. The group updates its advice regularly based on new medical information, and Dr. Iglesia said the latest recommendations had been in the works for several years, “long before the Obama health plan came into existence.†She called the timing crazy, uncanny and “an unfortunate perfect storm,†adding, “There’s no political agenda with regard to these recommendations.â€"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/health/20pap.html?hp

Dr. Iglesia serves on the panel of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

From their website, it states:

"One in five women of childbearing age and one in seven pregnant women are uninsured, and many are underinsured, lacking maternity coverage. Through our Health Care for Women, Health Care for All campaign, ACOG will work to ensure that the needs of women of all ages are addressed in health care reform, with a goal of achieving universal coverage to comprehensive, high-quality care for everyone in the United States."

This is also the organization who "revised" recommended intervals for pap smears.

ACOG Advocacy

Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,113,493 times
You can still go get it every year..just pay out of your pocket for those "off" years.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,714,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
How is that relevant? We are talking about pap smears prior to the age of 21.

Cancer is sometimes genetic. In cases where a woman has a family history, she will be considered high risk, and this recommendation will not apply to her. In other cases, cancer is caused by environmental factors, and age becomes part of the equation. The science shows that the risks outweigh the benefits for women under the age of 21. Your anecdotal evidence is not relevant.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,587,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Dr. Iglesia serves on the panel of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

From their website, it states:

"One in five women of childbearing age and one in seven pregnant women are uninsured, and many are underinsured, lacking maternity coverage. Through our Health Care for Women, Health Care for All campaign, ACOG will work to ensure that the needs of women of all ages are addressed in health care reform, with a goal of achieving universal coverage to comprehensive, high-quality care for everyone in the United States."

This is also the organization who "revised" recommended intervals for pap smears.

ACOG Advocacy
Thanks for the link.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,714,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can still go get it every year..just pay out of your pocket for those "off" years.
You don't even have to do that. You can talk to your doctor about your concerns, and get him to do the test each year, charging it to your insurance, just because he deems it necessary.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,239,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Details, details. These researchers knew Obama was going to be president now. It's in the Mayan calendar, doncha know.
Yes, but what did Nostradamus say? And who should we believe??

Old 11-20-2009, 10:20 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,240,460 times
Obama and his bands of misfits will try anything to steal or ration away any rights people have.

Then when the majority speak up they back peddle on it.

They are lying again now saying that is not what they meant.

But it was and they know it.

Is called rationing, finding ways to cut out a large portion of care for certain people so they can hand it to others.

Good one Bentlebee!

We can see their scams from miles away.

What's next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies