Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM

900 posts, read 673,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And you can tell those on the right from those on the left....how?
The ones on the right generally have no sense of humor, are unable to recognize irony or sarcasm, and quite frequently are unable to construct coherent sentences.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
The obvious seems to not occur to some - even those of superior intelligence. The fact that you continually get so much debate from southerners about your broad brush assertions of their views disproves your point.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
South and Deep South are both considered Southern right
And yet they are distinct from one another as well.

Oranges and apples are both considered fruit. But oddly enough they aren't considered interchangeable.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
hotair, I'm ashamed of you. I realize that you live in a pocket of conservatism and Baptist zealots, but that's not descriptive of the entire South and you know that.

I'm going to interject some things here as well. Some people carry on with their Southern bashing and feel justified because, well, look at how those Southerners voted. Not exactly Obama country, was it?

But do these same people ask where was the Obama campaign during the election? Did Obama make speeches, did Obama send out flyers, did Obama buy ads on TV? I understand, it was a close race, and he had to spend his dollars where they'd have the best chance of getting votes. But it's not exactly fair to criticize the people who live in places that got ignored by the Obama campaign, and were ignored by the Kerry campaign, and were ignored by other Democratic campaigns as well.

The Southern delegations to Congress are not predominantly Republican, but the depiction of red versus blue states does not honestly look at the complexity of Southern politics.
That is a weak argument. To imply the majority of the South didn't vote for Obama because he didn't campaign enough there is ridiculous. O'bama campaigned and focused most of his efforts in states that he had a chance of winning which included North Carolina. It didn't matter how much Obama campaigned in states like Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Oklahoma, he wasn't going to win there. You would be intellectually dishonest if you argued otherwise. This is another weak excuse by Southerners to fail to take responsibility for their image. Now you are trying to blame Obama for the South not voting for him. Conservatism and Evangelicalism describes the majority of the South. Yes, it may not predominate in Austin, TX and Raleigh but for the majority of the South, this is true.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
The ones on the right generally have no sense of humor, are unable to recognize irony or sarcasm, and quite frequently are unable to construct coherent sentences.

Hope that helps.

Funnily enough, I've come across liberals with the same characteristics. I guess it doesn't help.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
And yet they are distinct from one another as well.

Oranges and apples are both considered fruit. But oddly enough they aren't considered interchangeable.
Yes, but I wouldn't call an Apple "fruit" and an Orange "moderate fruit"

Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM

293 posts, read 570,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe81 View Post
What I'm trying to understand is how exactly you pass off listening to some liberal college professor mouth off about his personal views and paying a pretty handsome sum to do it so you can get a fancy piece of paper with your name on it equals you being "educated." And you call us "brainwashed."

I bet this southern white boy has gained a lot more life experience, common sense and wisdom in his 10 years of military service than you did getting your "education."

...I have family members who were in the Military who would really disagree with you.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yes, but I wouldn't call an Apple "fruit" and an Orange "moderate fruit"
But you might call an orange "citrus" fruit, as a way of distinguishment.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
"More than any other part of America, the South stands apart...Thousands of Northerners and foreigners have migrated to it...but Southerners they will not become. For this is still a place where you must have either been born or have 'people' there, to feel it is your native ground. "Natives will tell you this. They are proud to be Americans, but they are also proud to be Virginians, South Carolinians, Tennesseans, Mississippians and Texans. But they are conscious of another loyalty too, one that transcends the usual ties of national patriotism and state pride. It is a loyalty to a place where habits are strong and memories are long. If those memories could speak, they would tell stories of a region powerfully shaped by its history and determined to pass it on to future generations."
[RIGHT]– Tim Jacobson, Heritage of the South[/RIGHT]
Now, don't ask me who Tim Jacobson is, never heard of him before. But he IS square on the money. You either is, or you isn't a Southerner. A Yankee can immigrate to the South, can set up house-keeping, join the Country Club and the Rotary Club, but he/she will never, ever be a Southerner. Kids yes, but parents, no way hosay.

And the difference between the South and the Deep South? Texas is NOT Deep South as a whole. AZ Yankee, go here for a better discussion. I prefer not to argue with idiots, and folks who have a byline of "equal opportunity offender."

Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 PM

207 posts, read 324,891 times
I would like to make a list of ways white liberals are destroying the country....

They offer minority groups and other people who don't work free handouts while raising the taxes of the largely WHITE middle class so that we can support them with our hard earned money.

You bash white rural people for being uneducated while flooding this nation with Third World immigrants who are even less educated.

You bash white rural people for being racist while flooding this nation with Third World immigrants who hate homosexuals, other races different from their own, as well as women.

You close your ears to the other side of the Global Warming debate, even though there are just as many scientists saying it is NOT caused by man.

You want to preserve the environment, yet you flood the country with Third World immigrants who care less about the environment.

You complain about having expensive Health Care, yet you advocate opening our borders to Mexico and letting them share a piece of the pie, while expecting decent white Middle Class tax payers to pay the bill.

Most white rural people I know are decent people who work hard and who (yes) love this country so much that they volunteer to go overseas and fight for it. What is so bad about that? You must be a hateful person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies