Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times

Advertisements

Any time I walk into a bar or restaurant displaying, either on a sign on the wall or on the menu, a "mandatory gratuity" I turn right around and walk out again. Since a gratuity is:
From Websters online
Quote:
: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service
I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me I have to pay one, no matter the size of my party - lousy service deserves no additional funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Anytime I get bad service I don't tip or keep the tip light and then just never come back and waste my time again.

Probably if I was in the same situation, instead of just saying I wasn't paying, I'd ask to speak to management first. I think in most cases, people will be reasonable with you if you act the same way.

Overall I prefer the tip system since there is an incentive. Go to Australia or NZ and eat out there and you pretty much have to get up and cook your own food or get your own drinks and even show yourself out the door. Tips aren't as common there so the wait staff has no incentive to do anything useful.
Do wait staff get a (minimum?) wage there?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Do wait staff get a (minimum?) wage there?
They do. There is some tipping but it might be at most spare change sometimes. It's not a common thing but seems to be getting more popular.

The service at American restaurants is like a whole different whole and all of my Aussie and Kiwi friends prefer the tip system once they have experienced it.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Agreed, but once the couple ate the food, they were legally bound to pay the tip. It's no different than a service charge which is added to mail order items. You can't refuse to pay the service charge if the company is slow in processing your order. It may be poor restaurant policy, but the police had no choice.

No tehy are bound to pay for their food;not a tip.Which is extra for good service. That is why its called a tip.Its very different that the shipping charge when you order on the internet. That is not a tip its paying for shipping and handling and agreed to in advance. tippng is not. Bet it gets kicked out of court.Id a tip is included it must be advertise in the menu or cost when ordered.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
a pile of pennies in a glass of water is the tip for exceptionally poor service.
This is immature and unnecessary maybe you can throw food all over the floor too. If the service is bad, just don't leave any tip, or if the server was rude or disrespectful notify a manager. As I said before, no one should ever ever be forced to tip on bad service. That said, there's a big difference between a server who is "weeded"(can't keep up w/ customers due to huge volume of patrons or inexperience) and a server who is rude or purposly ignores customers. Either way, don't tip but don't act like a jerk and put change in food or glassware. Remember, that server is a person with feelings too and being downright mean to a server who just may be new, is uncalled for at best. Just my two cents worth, = ) !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies