Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:02 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Arianna Huffington Says Glenn Beck Should Be Excluded from Freedom of Speech, liberal blog co-founder likens popular Fox host’s show to shouting ‘fire in a crowded theater.’

Despite what you think of the man and his opinions, you can always turn the channel.

I hate to think this is actually how the typical lefty feels about Beck/First Amendment. Would any on the left like to comment?

Huffington Says Glenn Beck Should Be Excluded from Freedom of Speech (http://www.cultureandmediainstitute.org/articles/2009/20091120103645.aspx - broken link)

You're suprised?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHgUE9AD4s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i understand too well and remember very well. pee wee herman would whine less when confronted with misdeeds clearly his own.remember me??i was standing next to you when you were cheering for bush and his decisions when we started the downward roller coaster ride. remember what you said when i stood up among my brothers to express my concern, shut up sit down and respect the office.

Relax, Huck...

We're on the same side. You missed my sarcasm.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Yes the left hates free speech. That's common knowledge.
Is it? Would you consider the ACLU to be more of a left sort of group, or more of a right sort of group?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Nonsense!

Ariana Huffington expressing her opinion of Beck's fear mongering and attention-whoring is no threat to his freedom of speech. Just as Beck is free to say outrageous things, Huffington has the same freedom to criticize those rantings.
Except that Beck isn't "fear mongering", and he certainly isn't "attention-whoring". Neither is he saying "outrageous things".

They would be "outrageous things" if they were not true. But anyone can look into these people on there own (Beck and others have already done the hard work, and the videos and other documentation are still out there, though I have heard that some Websites are being scrubbed). We knew about his connections to Bill Ayers, ACORN and others well over a year ago. Nobody listened. These are all sixties radicals, peddling the same garbage that they peddled then.

When will sounding an alarm actually get a reaction from people instead of just a "ho-humm"? When it is too late?

This is why we are in the position we are in. Nobody has been minding the store for far too long. Now, we are getting robbed, even watching the robbers rob us of our liberty, and steal us blind, and we still don't believe it!

When will you react?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Except that Beck isn't "fear mongering", and he certainly isn't "attention-whoring". Neither is he saying "outrageous things".

They would be "outrageous things" if they were not true. But anyone can look into these people on there own (Beck and others have already done the hard work, and the videos and other documentation are still out there, though I have heard that some Websites are being scrubbed). We knew about his connections to Bill Ayers, ACORN and others well over a year ago. Nobody listened. These are all sixties radicals, peddling the same garbage that they peddled then.

When will sounding an alarm actually get a reaction from people instead of just a "ho-humm"? When it is too late?

This is why we are in the position we are in. Nobody has been minding the store for far too long. Now, we are getting robbed, even watching the robbers rob us of our liberty, and steal us blind, and we still don't believe it!

When will you react?

Here's my reaction to Beck's hysterical rantings.

Obviously, Beck has you running scared. Some folks scare easier than others.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I care about what Huffington says as much as I do about Beck-----nada, zero, zilch. They're nothing but entertainers and I find neither entertaining, I'd much rather listen to music than blather.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do not indulge in listening to either Beck or Huffington. Both are opportunists playing on the fear of a few to rake in money from the many.

Reading a book on Plate Tectonics or 1940's Aircraft Design is both more interesting and more entertaining than these blabbermouths.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That's one view, Ms. Huffington's.
Very true, and it is my view too.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Very true, and it is my view too.
Would you still be against free speech if it was you that was being silenced? Just asking not saying you are just asking you a question

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Everyone knows the left hates free speech. Marxists have always opposed free speech in the past, so it is no suprise. To them, "free speech" means only views that they agree with. See today's college campuses for examples. The left has perpetuated the legacy of Stalin and has promoted supression of free speech and independent thought through the weapons of political correctness and abject censorship, hardly tools of an "enlightened" group. Fascists come in all stripes and the modern liberal is just another enemy of liberty.
Not really true. I think all hate mongers, whether Glen Beck, Hannity, and Limbaugh as well as the independent Lou Dobbs. I was glad to see his getting fired and believe that the news should be in the middle, like Dobbs said that CNN desired to do. If there are hate mongers on the left, then they should also leave the air. It is that these people are calling fire in a crowded movie, so I agree with Huffington here. It is also the fact that they twist the truth. I don't believe in fear mongering. This is bascially what Hitler did when he began causing others to fear the Jews. Should he have been allowed to continue as he did? Look where it ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies