Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:25 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times

Advertisements

There are many black men like you who are either studying or working outside of America. More men than women. Obama's half brother made himself a success in China, learned Mandarin, etc. There are many African businessmen overseas as well as African-Americans. One African even asked me, "Why don't black Americans like to study? They have such perfect opportunities, and they do not take advantage of it." They shake their heads, not understanding.

In college, I remember an African student from Ghana who was studying biochemistry on a full scholarship, looked geeky, was highly intelligent, and was poked fun of by the local black students just because he didn't know how to dress. Africans value education much more highly than the general African-American population. It's their ONLY ticket out of poverty and hunger.

Anyway, about going overseas, I even knew a black American woman in Asia who married a Senegalese man -- they met there.

Wherever you go, it will be an eye-opener for you. You will expand your horizons. You will know yourself even better. You will deepen your understanding of your race and culture from a different perspective. You will encounter racism, but it all depends on your attitude. Are you going to react angrily at every instance of racism, or seek to build a bridge? Ignorance is due to lack of exposure or too much exposure to one-side, and you can't fault someone for that. You can only offer to educate.

I always say, a frog in the well can only see the sky. Jump out, and it sees the horizon with a 360 degree view.

Last edited by aqua0; 11-22-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
because if you dont like America you are looking for something different from America. these were the first two choices that came to mind. i say go for it.you might like it.
Ye, but why such an extreme?

America is a very color conscious culture...maybe he's seeking better opportunity elsewhere....maybe he does love America, but maybe he feels America doesn't love him?

Last edited by Time and Space; 02-19-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
nice icon.do tell what #2 s problem is. the poster has a better life in the good old USA. but if he wants a different culture i was just offering suggestions
That's like me telling you to go live in Afganiston...

Would you suggest someone in your family go live there?
If not, than why tell him too?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
It might be a good idea. You need real world experience to rid yourself of the social foolishness learned at University.
I didn't notice any African nations on your list. Have a problem relating to 3rd worlders?
Im sure he could relate well to 3 worlders, but if he leaves here, obviously, I mean real obviously, he want's to go some place where he feels he can compete or succeed in a similuar market or business enviornment...

I mean if you were leaving here to succeed finincially, would you go to a 3rd world nation where civil war and hunger is prevalent?

yes, no?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNJ12 View Post
i just can't figure it out if the evil bias of the racist whitey in the US is too much for you - why would you want to go another majority White country?

Would you not want to live in success in Rwanda or the Gambia?
Because not all 'whites' as you put it, have that US attitude....

During world war 2, the Europeans treated the black soldiers that helped liberate them as equals....until the 'white' American soldiers tried to import their brand of American racism....

Why do you assume all Europeans around the world are like the ones here??

Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNJ12 View Post
Why not move to a successful majority Black country?
Let's examine your question....

He, like most A-American males, have been raised in a former british colony...
His skin may be 'brown', but he was still raised 'british'...

He wasn't raised 'african'....or 'Asian' or 'Pakistani'....

He would be as out of place in the heart of Africa as Tom Cruise....

People don't relate to each other due to color...(that's how Americans think)...people relate to each other due to culture or firmiluarity...

How is that so hard to understand?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
I think it would be wise to weigh your options. The fact of the matter is that it's all about your personality. If you are want to step out of your cultural context, are independent, an entrepreneur or a go-getter, who enjoys varied social and cultural relations, then by all means go overseas.

As a start, know that there are millions upon millions of blacks ( and whites ) in this country who think that this place its the cat's meow. I also think this...but I also believe that there are places around the globe where your character may best be suited.

Don't be intimidated by anyone, foreign or domestic. If you have the urge to see the world realize that it's a gift that not everyone possesses. I would also advise to not try to 'escape' America, for you are America. Escapism will only lead to cynicism and despair, and you will have an unbalanced view of things when you arrive in a new world. Be pure, be objective, be bold.

So in conclusion, your desire to see your world (it is yours, you know), should not be questioned....but as in all gifts, utilized to its full potential.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I don't see the point of cominghere and asking if you are already so aware. Just leave. That si what most people did to get here in the first palce. You need to witness those green pastures in order to find truth.Cetainly you would find much about life in a university listenig to others;you have to discover it your self the easy way or the hard way. Go west or east young man.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 AM

504 posts, read 456,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Because not all 'whites' as you put it, have that US attitude....

During world war 2, the Europeans treated the black soldiers that helped liberate them as equals....until the 'white' American soldiers tried to import their brand of American racism....

Why do you assume all Europeans around the world are like the ones here??

Dear god you hit it right on the head. I know in my military travels you have a good 10% attrition rate as it pertains to brothers deciding to stay in Europe a good percentage gets guilted by family to return to the US. Its more hospitible and the racism that is there below the surface is waaaay below the surface. Hell most balck folks down south know to stay on the major interstaes in Alabama and its 2010. I am thinking about stacking my chips and moving myself. Get a nice DOD job and enjoying life a whole lot meore stress free.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:03 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace320 View Post
Hi, first time poster. I am a 20 year old black male in Houston. Currently, I am a senior in college and over the past few years have begun to learn about the issues "good" young black males seem to face. I am not going to explain or discuss them, because there are threads all over the place about it.

My question is, why don't young black men try living in other countries? I am personally considering possibly moving to Canada or Australia. I have also seen some videos on youtube about other who have moved, and said it was a great choice. I just wonder why more ybm don't seem to consider it?

So, what are your thoughts and opinions about this proposal. Also, which countries would you think would make for the best transition.
I would encourage ANY young person to consider other countries...so many more have have better life styles, BETTER CHEAPER HEALTH CARE, better education opportunities, better jobs( WHICH HELP TO EARN MORE MONEY WHICH PAYS THE TAXES WHICH THEN SUBSIDIZES HEALTH CARE AND EDUCATION CREATING A "VICIOUS CIRCLE" OF BETTER HEALTH and BETTER PAYING JOBS !!!!!!)

Dosen't happen in the U.S. of Republican Obstructionism.

Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies