Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace320 View Post
My question is, why don't young black men try living in other countries? I am personally considering possibly moving to Canada or Australia. I have also seen some videos on youtube about other who have moved, and said it was a great choice. I just wonder why more ybm don't seem to consider it?
I just joined so that I could respond to your comments. This is my first post. I sincerely hope that I am incorrect in assuming the difficulties you face are racial in nature. Canada is proudly a multicultural society. We are home to a multitude of nationalities, religions, races, and by far the greater majority of Canadians accept one another without pre-judgement. I am caucasian, Canadian born, my great-great grandparents were English.

My best friend came over the other day while I was grouting my newly-tiled bathtub enclosure. The grout is jet black. Looks great against the white tiles. Tyler offered to help, but was concerned that the grout would stain his dark African skin. I looked at the grout, then at him, and smiled with the reply "Probably not as much as it will stain mine". The job was finished just as we ran out of beer....eh? hahaha

I would like to extend an invitation for you to come and take a look around. Spend a few weeks to get the feel of the place. See whether or not it's for you before you make the decision to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM

201 posts, read 235,628 times
Quote:
Hi, first time poster. I am a 20 year old black male in Houston. Currently, I am a senior in college and over the past few years have begun to learn about the issues "good" young black males seem to face. I am not going to explain or discuss them, because there are threads all over the place about it.

My question is, why don't young black men try living in other countries? I am personally considering possibly moving to Canada or Australia. I have also seen some videos on youtube about other who have moved, and said it was a great choice. I just wonder why more ybm don't seem to consider it?

So, what are your thoughts and opinions about this proposal. Also, which countries would you think would make for the best transition.

I didn't have time to read all the replies, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

You may find it very difficult to leave the US and work in another country. In doing so, your tax burden remains for many years. I do understand your situation, but I think it best to try another area of the US first.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Hi, first time poster. I am a 20 year old black male in Houston. Currently, I am a senior in college and over the past few years have begun to learn about the issues "good" young black males seem to face. I am not going to explain or discuss them, because there are threads all over the place about it.

So, what are your thoughts and opinions about this proposal. Also, which countries would you think would make for the best transition.
Absolutely not! This country needs all the "good" black men it can get, you need to stay and make a difference.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:

For a majority of young folks (blacks, whites, etc), relocating to another foreign country isn't practical and many do not want to leave their families behind. Why should young, black males run away when the going gets rough. Wouldn't it be better to fight for change as civil rights leaders have done in the past?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM

49 posts, read 83,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
For a majority of young folks (blacks, whites, etc), relocating to another foreign country isn't practical and many do not want to leave their families behind. Why should young, black males run away when the going gets rough. Wouldn't it be better to fight for change as civil rights leaders have done in the past?
You are right. I was going through a back period when I started this thread. I can't really see myself leaving now. Well, not permanently anyway.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
They have to be careful where they choose to go. Though parts of the US are considered racist, they don't hold a candle to other parts of the world where their racism isn't widely reported to the public. There are places in Europe where the racism is so common they don't even recognize it anymore. Back in the 1990s in one Euro city, a woman said a black african stole her purse. They arrested every black man they could find. When she finally showed up and identified who she thought had mugged her, they let the rest go free. Skinheads are in many different parts of Europe. There are places in Asia that are highly racist in some ways. They don't want outsiders mixing with their people. Most of Europe and Asia are fine but you should be watchful. It's Africa you should stay away from. Many parts of africa are dangerous no matter what color you are.
Quote:

Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,916 times
Default It's the Canuk...again eh?

Quote:
You are right. I was going through a back period when I started this thread. I can't really see myself leaving now. Well, not permanently anyway.
I'm a frequent traveler. I've been all over Canada, much of the US, Cuba, Central America, and Mexico. I'm engrossed with the Customs and Cultures of other societies, and as such, I spend my time with the people, not with "tourists" in resorts.

Unfailingly, when I return home from one of these adventures I am more aware of, and grateful for, all those things I take for granted, and I have greater acceptance of those things that annoy me. If you are frustrated with your situation, can it be (at least in part) because you don't have anything to compare it with ?

Humans are complacent by nature and as such we tend to tolerate disagreeable things. I liken it to the Captain who allows the winds of the sea to carry his ship wherever they may. He just floats along day by day, unsure of his destination. On the other hand, he who navigates his ship can steer across thousands of miles of open ocean, yet arrive precisely at the port he chooses. William Earnest Henley wrote "I am the Captain of my fate, the Master of my soul". How right he was!

Life is not a test drive. You only have one kick at the cat. If it's not right, Fix It!

I urge you in a most heartfelt way to get out and explore your world. Everything is relative, and what annoys you today will almost certainly diminish when you gain something to compare it with. Having taken that first step, you will be better equipped to decide whether relocation will improve your life.

PS: "The body is only the vase that holds the flowers" (Don Parker)

Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM

418 posts, read 487,602 times
It would be a great idea to leave the country, but I'd explore this one for a bit longer before moving around the world. Countries, borders, all this nonsense is just man made lines in the sand. It's fun exploring new places.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM

151 posts, read 138,566 times
Send us a postcard when you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies