Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Today is the “Whole Ball Of Wax” concerning the Health Care Reform effort. After all the many months of going back and forth with lies, distortions and innuendo from both sides of the isle, everything comes down to the senate vote today. If the Democrats get the 60 votes they need to bring the bill to the floor they will have won the Health care reform battle and the republican party will be a toothless dragon. All these months the right wing has been taunting the Dems with the statement “You got a majority in the house and senate, why can’t you get anything done?” Well “Done” is today.

You see, the ONLY vote that requires 60 votes is today’s vote. Every other vote is a simple majority. No Democrat is going to cut the party off at the knees and not bring the bill to the floor. It would be political suicide. Once the bill is brought to the floor for discussion a series of amendments will be introduced by both parties and be voted on. The dems have the votes to defeat any amendment the repubs propose and likewise, they have the votes to pass any amendment they want. The bill then goes to committee which is stacked democratic. After today the repubs are powerless to stop a democratic health care reform bill from passing and getting signed.

To those who have fought the good fight in support of health care reform, I suggest you chill a bottle of Cordon Rouge and when the 60th vote comes in, pop the cork. The real political battle will be over and all the rest is political process with a foregone conclusion. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
Then the supporters of this bill can apologize to there children and grandchildren for forcing the country into a multi trillion dollar plan that will ruin our country.
Good going.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Then the supporters of this bill can apologize to there children and grandchildren for forcing the country into a multi trillion dollar plan that will ruin our country.
Good going.
Sour grapes are hard to swallow.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:41 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Today is the “Whole Ball Of Wax” concerning the Health Care Reform effort. After all the many months of going back and forth with lies, distortions and innuendo from both sides of the isle, everything comes down to the senate vote today. If the Democrats get the 60 votes they need to bring the bill to the floor they will have won the Health care reform battle and the republican party will be a toothless dragon. All these months the right wing has been taunting the Dems with the statement “You got a majority in the house and senate, why can’t you get anything done?” Well “Done” is today.

You see, the ONLY vote that requires 60 votes is today’s vote. Every other vote is a simple majority. No Democrat is going to cut the party off at the knees and not bring the bill to the floor. It would be political suicide. Once the bill is brought to the floor for discussion a series of amendments will be introduced by both parties and be voted on. The dems have the votes to defeat any amendment the repubs propose and likewise, they have the votes to pass any amendment they want. The bill then goes to committee which is stacked democratic. After today the repubs are powerless to stop a democratic health care reform bill from passing and getting signed.

To those who have fought the good fight in support of health care reform, I suggest you chill a bottle of Cordon Rouge and when the 60th vote comes in, pop the cork. The real political battle will be over and all the rest is political process with a foregone conclusion. Cheers!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 AM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
Quote:
Sour grapes are hard to swallow.
Excuse me? Do you not care at all about our future? Does the cost mean nothing? Should we not be making the best choices we can?

What happens in a few years when the cost is in the trillions? Or wait let me guess, you simply don't care do you?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
You see, the ONLY vote that requires 60 votes is today’s vote. Every other vote is a simple majority.
Eh...wrong. For cloture, they need 60 votes.

If Dirty Harry is having this much trouble, JUST TO BRING IT TO THE FLOOR TO START DEBATING, that speaks volumes.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? Do you not care at all about our future? Does the cost mean nothing? Should we not be making the best choices we can?

What happens in a few years when the cost is in the trillions? Or wait let me guess, you simply don't care do you?
Of course I care about America's future. That's why I support health care reform now. In fact it should have been done 15 years ago when the Clinton's were running things.

I'm not going to rehash the pros and cons all over again as to why we need it. There are many threads debating the issues of health care reform.

This one post sums everything up quite accurately. You come from the faction that think it will destroy the country. I, on the other hand come from the faction that think it will ultimately save the country. Shows how much an ugly divide there really is in our country.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Of course I care about America's future. That's why I support health care reform now. In fact it should have been done 15 years ago when the Clinton's were running things.

I'm not going to rehash the pros and cons all over again as to why we need it. There are many threads debating the issues of health care reform.

This one post sums everything up quite accurately. You come from the faction that think it will destroy the country. I, on the other hand come from the faction that think it will ultimately save the country. Shows how much an ugly divide there really is in our country.
Reform? Is that what they are trying to pass this boondoggle off as?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:

Celebrate all you want.
Either way.....the Dems ARE DONE next year.
Trying to ram something so massive and expensive down the throats of the American public that has voiced such huge opposition to such "reform!" All the opposition is ignored by this loser, Democrat-controlled Congress led by the psycho nutjob, Nancy Pelosi.
If successful in passing this bill.......they are THROUGH!
If not.........they ARE THROUGH!
They committed their own political suicide already, as far as a GROWING number of Americans are concerned!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Why worry about tomorrow when you can have subsidized healthcare today ?

Of course they all care about tomorrow. But they care too much about today to really worry too much about tomorrow. You see, that will be someone else's problem, not theirs. Let the next President and the next generation of workers worry about it.

For today they rejoice...they will get their subsidized insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies