Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,681,693 times

Advertisements

If you try him in a Military Court he becomes a Prisoner of War who has been waterboarded. So you will have to put Bush and cheyney on Trial too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,198,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You do know that this isn't the first time we've tried terrorists, including international terrorists, in a U.S. court, right? As of this moment, there are more than 340 terrorists serving out their sentences in U.S. prisons. That's over 4000 jurors who've heard these cases. Do you really think they're all in hiding in fear for their lives? Please. Get a grip on reality, I promise you'll feel better.
Oh, please......all of those were low profile cases and barely made a ripple. This trial will be a trial watched in every country around the world and if you think that the jurors will not be scrutinized closely by radical Islamists then you are the one who needs to get a grip on reality. Theo van Gogh was murdered on a public street in the Netherlands for publishing an article perceived to "insult" Islam. You do remember what happened in Denmark when the cartoons that "insulted" Mohammed were published a few years ago, don't you?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:32 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,434,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post

Oh, please......all of those were low profile cases and barely made a ripple. This trial will be a trial watched in every country around the world and if you think that the jurors will not be scrutinized closely by radical Islamists then you are the one who needs to get a grip on reality. Theo van Gogh was murdered on a public street in the Netherlands for publishing an article perceived to "insult" Islam. You do remember what happened in Denmark when the cartoons that "insulted" Mohammed were published a few years ago, don't you?
It's actually kind of funny, you trying to inform me on what goes on in Denmark, considering I have a very extended family of in-laws living in Denmark, which is where I "imported" my husband from, and a country that I have been to every year for the past 9 years. Yeah, keep me posted on the Danish news, why don't ya.

In the meantime, nothing you've posted has anything to do with jurors hearing cases in the United States of America. You might want to check into how the system actually works before you worry yourself about the jury pool. Here's a place to start: Anonymous Juries

Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM

In case you weren't aware, what happened in Denmark was international news and not something obscure that I was privileged to have some inside information on. Anyone who watches the evening news was privy to that information, regardless of what countries they may visit every year.

As for anonymous juries, I certainly hope that such will be considered in this case. It would be a vast improvement over the OJ Simpson post-trial fiasco.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
You do remember what happened in Denmark when the cartoons that "insulted" Mohammed were published a few years ago, don't you?
I do - as you may gather from my username, I have a bit of a vested interest. I will admit I have a hard time seeing your point.

The Danish PM stood up and made it clear that he considered it a simple matter of a free press being free, so no official apology would be forthcoming. In the mid-east, the crazies went crazy. Some embassies were torched. The dairy company Arla lost some money due to a mid-east boycott.

In Denmark, not much happened. Demonstrations, one bona fide crazy making death threats, that kind of deal. And when the Danish police did uncover a terror plot against one of the drawers, 17 newspapers (that's pretty much the entire Danish press) reprinted the drawings to show that there's a line, and it was crossed. Incidentally, the terrorists weren't shipped off to a remote island in the Baltic, they were put on trial.

Seeing as you brought it up yourself: If my minuscule and admittedly not very powerful country can find it to stand by its principles, perhaps it's fair to expect the same from the world's remaining superpower?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Seeing as you brought it up yourself: If my minuscule and admittedly not very powerful country can find it to stand by its principles, perhaps it's fair to expect the same from the world's remaining superpower?
I'm having a hard time figuring out how this relates to the military tribunal vs open trial in federal court issue. Please explain.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:47 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,434,002 times
Quote:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this relates to the military tribunal vs open trial in federal court issue. Please explain.
I'm having a hard time figuring out why you're now trying to move the goalposts of your original question; "You do remember what happened in Denmark when the cartoons that "insulted" Mohammed were published a few years ago, don't you?".

First I pointed out that I didn't need you to remind me what happens in Denmark, since I'm quite tuned into the happenings in that country, by virtue of the fact that that's where my entire family on my husband's side lives, and where my husband is from.

Then my husband himself, who happens to be Dane_in_LA, actually gave you a specific answer, which was basically, yes, he remembers. He remembers that the government stood up to the lunatics, the entire Danish press re-published the cartoons and the fools who made the terror threats were tried in a civilian court.

And let me add, none of the jurors were scared into hiding. None of them were even threatened. None of the perpetrators are running around free to inflict more harm on Denmark. Basically, none of the fears you're mongering here came to fruition in the one case you cited in support of your argument, that military tribunals are a better venue than our federal court system because of said unsupported fears.

So I guess that answers how this relates to the military tribunal vs open trial in federal court issue. I hope that explanation was sufficient.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,437,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"On May 3, 2006, Bill O'Reilly led off his Fox News show with the sentencing of Zacarias Moussaoui, who was tried in civilian court and handed several consecutive life terms for his role in the September 11 terrorist attacks. According to O'Reilly: 'The al Qaeda savage promptly thanked them by saying 'America, you lost. I won.' But like what most of this degenerate says, he is wrong. Moussaoui is condemned to rot in his cell until he does die and if the Federal penitentiary is run properly, Moussaoui will be denied any and all privileges.' O'Reilly explained that 'by not executing Moussaoui, the U.S.A. shows the world we are a nation of laws, a nation that puts power in the hands of regular folks.'"

-- Op link

I can not speak for O'Reilly I can only speak for myself as a person and a family member of people lost on 9/11 and I explained my POV in my previous post.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
Ehm - you're the one implying that it's somehow too dangerous to follow precedent and try terrorists in civilian court. And citing the cartoon crisis to somehow support it. Now you expect me to demonstrate relevance?

Well, then: Denmark stood by established court practice. In Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, the GWB administration had to cite Benedict f*cking Arnold to argue that there was precedence for military tribunals.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,437,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Giving them death is exactly what these terrorists want ... they want to die as martyrs. They need to spend the rest of their lives in solitary confinement in supermax.

To me the death penalty is irrelevant but allowing them to use our courts to spew their hate is not. I don't feel they should be given any more attention then they have already gotten that is what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies