Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,106,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You mandate that the insurance companies cannot deny coverage, to anyone. Some of my more conservative brethren might disagree with that..so be it.

The insurers can set up a sliding/staggered scale of coverage, depending on the "risk" of the individual. There would be a cap to the highest level. Some people might opt to get just catastrophic coverage....do you realize that the democrats would do away with that option?

You allow individuals to join pools for coverage, just as small business has that opportunity to group together to lower costs.

You allow portability across state lines. If I want to buy a Mass plan that fits my needs, I should be able to.

You allow individuals to purchase Canadian drugs...is that in any of the dem HC plans?

You expand Medicaid for the neediest.

That's just a start.

There is absolutely NO REASON to create a huge, bloated government-run option.......looking at the mess they make of "business" they are currently running, why would a sane person think the government would run a cost-effective, efficient, in the black business.

Just answer the last question...I'm just curious how the liberal mind works. You have example after example, warning you to say no to anything government-run on this issue, and still you ignore all the red flags....why?
IF all the things you listed were done and:

- make anti-trust pertain to insurance companies too
- have national regulations that apply to all insurance companies so that companies can't just move to another state to avoid regulation.
- no lifetime caps on coverage

Then I would be able to accept that as true health care reform. It isn't that I'm crazy about the idea of the government running things. It is because I have waited a lifetime for health care in this country to become a right and have, instead, seen it become less and less available to those who need it the most. I have honestly and truly seen lives lost and other lives destroyed because of the unethical behavior of insurance companies and I have watched them buy our elected representatives wholesale. And I know what a good thing Social Security and Medicare have been for older Americans even though they are not perfect so I have to believe that we would have better luck with a similar situation for health care than we have had waiting for the insurance companies to quit acting like thugs who hold our lives as hostage to their greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,921,017 times
Quote:
You've got some nerve, accusing me of a falsehood, twice no less. You could listen to the whole thing and never hear Obama say he is in favor of eliminating private insurance, because he doesn't say it.
And you've got some denial block between your ears.

He said it, right where I said he said it, @ approx 1:59 -

"I don't think we're going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately"

You are denying he said this? If you are, that is a blatant falsehood. All one has to do is watch the video. If you continue to deny his own words, on the video for all to see and hear, count that 3 times.

Are you sure you have the right one? The one I posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtbfP...eature=related

I just have to ask; What do you hear him saying starting around 1:59?

Really, I can't wait for it.

I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of implanted device in obamatrons that prevent them from actually hearing the words he speaks, that whenever there is a criticism, it actually turns those words into flowery rhetoric on the goodness of obama.

Last edited by sanrene; 11-22-2009 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
I never denied that Obama said that, in fact, I even posted so (post has been deleted). But I do deny that he said he has any plans, or interest in, eliminating private insurance.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,698,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How is the Senate public option to be so different than that of the House? For some reason it appears to me that public option is the same thing in either place and, as Barney Frank said it is the first step to single payer which is socialized medicine in any language.
Well, it's not single payer. But, a lot of us have no problem with not barbarically forcing people to compete for their very survival in a system that allows the wealthy to get all the treatment they want and forces the poor to die.

I'm pro-life. I have no choice but to support universal heath care.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,106,673 times
[quote=Bluefly;11738814]Well, it's not single payer. But, a lot of us have no problem with not barbarically forcing people to compete for their very survival in a system that allows the wealthy to get all the treatment they want and forces the poor to die.

I'm pro-life. I have no choice but to support universal heath care.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I never denied that Obama said that, in fact, I even posted so (post has been deleted). But I do deny that he said he has any plans, or interest in, eliminating private insurance.
OMG, you really are going to take that road? When he says, "I don't think WE will be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately", how are his intentions not exposed for all to see, except the deluded?

Truly amazing the lengths some will go to in destroying all credibility as they twist and turn themselves into pretzel logic to defend the indefensible.

I knew it though. I said it, why even bother, just admit the truth. You don't care if he said it or not.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I'm pro-life. I have no choice but to support universal heath care.
You sure about that? I could have sworn.......

I can't imagine any pro-lifer voting for a president with his record on abortion...and infanticide.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,365 times
Quote:
You mandate that the insurance companies cannot deny coverage, to anyone. Some of my more conservative brethren might disagree with that..so be it.

The insurers can set up a sliding/staggered scale of coverage, depending on the "risk" of the individual. There would be a cap to the highest level. Some people might opt to get just catastrophic coverage....do you realize that the democrats would do away with that option?

You allow individuals to join pools for coverage, just as small business has that opportunity to group together to lower costs.

You allow portability across state lines. If I want to buy a Mass plan that fits my needs, I should be able to.

You allow individuals to purchase Canadian drugs...is that in any of the dem HC plans?

You expand Medicaid for the neediest.

That's just a start.

There is absolutely NO REASON to create a huge, bloated government-run option.......looking at the mess they make of "business" they are currently running, why would a sane person think the government would run a cost-effective, efficient, in the black business.

Just answer the last question...I'm just curious how the liberal mind works. You have example after example, warning you to say no to anything government-run on this issue, and still you ignore all the red flags....why?
Another great post, Sanrene.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,698,045 times
Quote:
You sure about that? I could have sworn.......

I can't imagine any pro-lifer voting for a president with his record on abortion...and infanticide.
I believe in minimal government interference in our lives. I believe in the Constitution that gave Americans the freedom to choose their paths. I am not for abortion, and neither is Obama (he's never supported infanticide, despite the rhetoric conjured up by his opposition). But to use government as a tool to make a decision for a woman as important as bearing a child and all the associated responsibilities that may create a life that cannot be adequately supported is, to me, incredibly anti-American.

There are other ways to eliminate abortion that do not include stripping individual freedom.

So, yes, I am pro-life and, therefore, truly have no choice but to support universal health care. While not perfect, anything less institutionalizes murder.

What I like about Obama's approach is it is very American. It allows a well regulated free market to do a bulk of the work and uses government to fill in the gaps. That's very different from Europe or Canada, despite the claims of his opposition to score cheap political points.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,683,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So, yes, I am pro-life and, therefore, truly have no choice but to support universal health care. While not perfect, anything less institutionalizes murder.
pssst...pro-abortion is a more accurately descriptive term than pro-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies