Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:36 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Many homeless people are homeless due to the absurd liberal agenda of closing mental facilities in the 1960s. Schizophrenics and patients with thought disorders were released from institutions and "freed". Great. Drug addicts and schizophrenics are not going to make it on thier own. Open the mental institutions back up if you don't like seeing these people in the streets or INVITE THEM TO YOUR HOME!!!!

The liberal mind is certainly twisted- see a problem and blame society, yet offer no solutions. The problem is that the solutions are unpalatable to the left, who is too concerned with "being concerned", yet will not roll up their sleeves and address the problem.

Solution-

1. Re-open the mental "sanitariums"

2. Invite three of four of them to live with you.

If all libs exercise option #2, there will be no homeless people and you will be happy, until, of course, they steal everything you have or slit your liberal throat in your sleep. Keep in mind that this in fact may solve both our homeless problem and our liberal problem in one fell swoop. Something to consider. You see a "problem", but only want to ***** about it and blame society. Get off your butt and do something about it if you find it so disturbing. BTW- how much did you contribute to charity last year to help these people? Probably ZERO! The reason- that would cost you YOUR MONEY, and that is just a little bit too much. You NEED THAT MONEY for YOURSELF so that you can continue to be sympathetic and it should not be wated on the margins of society when there is bree and wine to be bought. Watch "A Christmas Carol" a few times this year and perhaps your cold liberal heart will open up your mind and your tight wallet a bit.
The homeless population in New York City increased visibly in the 1980's when psych facilities were forced to let a lot of patients out under the rules of the Reagan administration. It was assumed that since certain patients were OK as long as they took their medication, they could go merrily off on their own. The problem is when they ran out of medication and the symptoms returned and had no one to tell them it was time to get their meds, they just fell through the cracks and right back into the streets.

One story a worker at a drop-in shelter told me was that a man came in for a meal and they ran him through their computer system that hooks up to agencies and resources in the city. Turned out the guy was a Vietnam Veteran suffering from intense PTSD, let out under the Reagan rules. He'd been living on the streets for eight years and didn't have the mental ability to remember he needed medication or that he was supposed to be getting a disability check. He had benefits coming to him from all the time he was on the streets. The shelter worked with the appropriate agencies to get the man help. No one would have known except that he found a new place to get a sandwich that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
So says the real estate agent.....

It's a very realistic thing to do. It's been done hundreds of times and in hundreds of countries before.

Just because it's very different than the norm right now, does not mean it's impossible.

Don't be small minded.
Yeah I guess it's small minded to think the Govt can confiscate privately owned lands that have been bought and paid for by families from their hard work and sweat.

Let's then divide these lands and give each person their share just because they exist.

Why don't we keep the land in the hands of their rightful owners who know how to grow crops and raise livestock.

Many wars have been fought and Govt's overturned over the confiscation of personal property. You are in the wrong country is you believe in taking someones property.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Many homeless people are homeless due to the absurd liberal agenda of closing mental facilities in the 1960s. Schizophrenics and patients with thought disorders were released from institutions and "freed". Great. Drug addicts and schizophrenics are not going to make it on thier own. Open the mental institutions back up if you don't like seeing these people in the streets or INVITE THEM TO YOUR HOME!!!!

The liberal mind is certainly twisted- see a problem and blame society, yet offer no solutions. The problem is that the solutions are unpalatable to the left, who is too concerned with "being concerned", yet will not roll up their sleeves and address the problem.

Solution-

1. Re-open the mental "sanitariums"

2. Invite three of four of them to live with you.

If all libs exercise option #2, there will be no homeless people and you will be happy, until, of course, they steal everything you have or slit your liberal throat in your sleep. Keep in mind that this in fact may solve both our homeless problem and our liberal problem in one fell swoop. Something to consider. You see a "problem", but only want to ***** about it and blame society. Get off your butt and do something about it if you find it so disturbing. BTW- how much did you contribute to charity last year to help these people? Probably ZERO! The reason- that would cost you YOUR MONEY, and that is just a little bit too much. You NEED THAT MONEY for YOURSELF so that you can continue to be sympathetic and it should not be wated on the margins of society when there is bree and wine to be bought. Watch "A Christmas Carol" a few times this year and perhaps your cold liberal heart will open up your mind and your tight wallet a bit.
I LOVE THIS POST!

I can so clearly see all the Libs. out there....saying "but, but, but"......before whatever pathetic response they are able to conjure up in their little minds so they're able to finish that sentence.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
There are mentally ill people who want to live on the street. I've worked where we washed them up, gave them clean clothes and a secure place to sleep. they promptly left and slept under the fire escape.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:45 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are mentally ill people who want to live on the street. I've worked where we washed them up, gave them clean clothes and a secure place to sleep. they promptly left and slept under the fire escape.
Maybe they determined there was a fire hazard in the place.
Maybe that's where they left some booze.

I'm sure there are mentally ill people who want to live on the street and probably deep in the woods too.

You DID YOUR part and it was a compassionate thing to do.

YOU should be proud to know that you offered your help and you DID help.
But....when all is said and done......they go back to the life and the environment they know best and feel the most secure......which is obviously NOT a place where they like being "monitored" or need to conform to ANY rules/regulations that a shelter has.
It's their definition of FREEDOM.....despite what others might say about their presence.
Either way.....it IS terribly saddening to see so many more and more......becomming homeless and NOT by their choice or decision....or from mental illness or addiction....but because of the pathetic state of the economy and the housing mess.
This should NOT happen in America.....the wealthiest of nations! (for a little while longer, anyhow)?
But it does and its a huge disgrace.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Every time I am in a big rich city and I see homeless people, it just seems so absurd to me.

When I see a homeless man freezing at the foot of a skyscraper with thousands of rooms. It really hits me.....

When I see people crouching at the foot of a billion dollar building, begging for nickels and dimes, I realize how broken our system is.

In nature, everybody can build a home. Nature has plenty of trees and stone for every human being to have a home. Every human being should have a home.

It's about time we rethink what we are, as human beings.
There are many that are homeless through no choice of their own but where I live, many of the homeless choose to forgo the shelters because they cannot handle the rules. There is actually a homeless culture in LA of folks who don't wish to live by society's rules. You can provide the help but if it's refused, there is nothing you can do for those individuals.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:37 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
There are many that are homeless through no choice of their own but where I live, many of the homeless choose to forgo the shelters because they cannot handle the rules. There is actually a homeless culture in LA of folks who don't wish to live by society's rules. You can provide the help but if it's refused, there is nothing you can do for those individuals.
I know all about that culture.

This is my personal belief, but I think that American society creates these people. These people are being reactionaries against the status quoe, which is very flawed.

If the status quoe in American society were to change in certain ways, this sub-culture of people would most likely disapear.

You must ask yourself "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" The fact is that the system in the USA creates a lot of the attitutes, behaviors and cultures that are very unsavory. These people didn't just appear out of thin air, they are 'made in the USA'.

I know this because when I live in other countries with a different ype of society, these sub-cultures are non-existant. Or maybe they exist in a very different form, but they are always a product of the dynamics at play in whatever society it happens to be.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I do believe my perceptions and trust my experience. I can tell you that nearly every homeless person I have stepped over or around in San Francisco was either a drug addict or had a mental illness. The same is true of our community. Are there decent people who have lost thier homes who are temporarily homeless? Of course. However, those people, and anyone who has thier head out of their ass would change their situation-

1. Get a better job

2. Get an education

3. Move to a cheaper area of the country

4. Join the military

5. Seek shelter in a homeless shelter

So for a rational person, there are many alternatives. For those who are insane or are addicted to drugs, the curse of liberalism has "freed" these people to endure a dangerous life of drudgery. Thank you Lydon Johnson for the "Great Society". These people are so much better off now.
What do you suggest for somebody with absolutely nothing. No money, no assets, no family, no address, no nothing? Tell me a strategy for such a person?

I also believe in personal responsibility and I think people need to work for a living. But right now the system is very slanted and unfair for the poorest people. It takes quite a lot of money and momentum just to pay rent and survive at a minimum level.

And the fact is that the majority of homeless people out there are not lifetime homeless and are not insane. I once read a study that said the average homeless stint is about 4 months, and it also said that only about 40% of the homeless have serious problems with mental illness or addiction. It seems accurate to me.

I can tell by your posts that you are a wing nut though, I shouldn't even be responding to this. You are obviously just parroting the views that have been told to you by others.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
what's even more absurb is that homeless numbers are rising while our leadership thinks that it's a good idea to destroy perfectly liveable homes. it's also absurb that millions of reos remain vacant so that banks can hold onto their phony accounting valuations
I agree. There are neighborhoods full of perfectly decent homes just sitting there rotting away.

I encourage people to squat in these homes if they can find them.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree with you for once.

But they ALL are not homeless because of those issues.

OP-what can you suggest we (as a society) do for these people?
No, some more of them are homeless because of the 72 hour holding law for mental hospitals (they can sign themselves out) and patient dumping for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies