Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So you think ratings and popularity merit awards? So if the most popular show is the one telling nothing but lies, then it's OK, hallelujah, give those people a plaque?! So if the guy writes a book and its sells well, that's a good thing even if the whole book is garbage?
Isnt that what we elected our last president on, and given him awards, (like the Nobel Peace Prize)? He wrote a book?
Quote:
Moyers achieved awards from his peers. Wouldn't they know better than anyone who has done the best job?
Here I agree with you, Moyers achievements are indeed accomplishments, in his industry. I'm not sure though if his awards give him "merit" though to the general public, no more than a gay receiving dozens of gay awards, or catholics receiving awards in the church. People in those fields care, but the general public, well they hold no merit with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:28 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I knew he was on CNN but I did not count that because CNN is a total joke channel.
Let's face it, liberal media is about gone. After the lies they spewed about Obama and the American people got screwed people have turned them off.
You say CNN lied about Obama. Others say Fox lied about Bush.

Now that we're all in the same boat, can you and the others on the right side of the spectrum simply join together and demand the TRUTH? The divisiveness, the "you're-wrong-I'm-right", "my-news-is-better-than-your-news" shenanigans is completely counterproductive. It's this wrestling match that ALLOWS for the misinformation and lies to continue. As long as we oppose each other, there will be no truth at our disposal.

If your side won't join the other side and demand the truth, then
a) you enjoy the fighting too much
b) we're all doomed

Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
It is bad when the media chooses sides.

It was fine and dandy when a news station was finding the exposing the truth about the last administration.
It is taboo if that same news station finds the truth and exposes it about the present administration. and try to silence it.

This is not good for the sovereignty of the USA.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
If your side won't join the other side and demand the truth...
I'm afraid they all swore an oath never to go that route again back in 1994.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Apparently, there aren't a lot of media types who care. I could only find 9 news stories on Google and one is PBS. He has to stay until April to raise money. He's 75. Even if he is a big biased lib, he's been around long enough to merit more stories on his retirement.

Bill Moyers Is Retiring His PBS “Journal†| TV | Mediaite

PBS Shill-man Moyers Calls It Quits (Wizbang)
That's such Palinite-think: Bill Moyers = "a big biased lib."

As the article you quote says, "Luckily, Bill Moyers Journal has a hell of an interactive and user-friendly website, and assuming you haven’t spent your last 100 Friday nights at home with public television, you have some catching up to do. Go learn something."

Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,762 times
Quote:
Apparently, there aren't a lot of media types who care. I could only find 9 news stories on Google and one is PBS. He has to stay until April to raise money. He's 75. Even if he is a big biased lib, he's been around long enough to merit more stories on his retirement.

Bill Moyers Is Retiring His PBS “Journal†| TV | Mediaite

PBS Shill-man Moyers Calls It Quits (Wizbang)

Hmm.... And you care of this because....

Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
What I don't get is why libs support someone (Bill Moyers) who asked the FBI to investigate three Johnson administration figures "thought to have homosexual tendencies." "And that weeks before the 1964 Johnson-Goldwater election, Moyers "was tasked to direct [FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover] to do an investigation of Goldwater's staff to find similar evidence of homosexual activity. Mr. Moyers' memo to the FBI was in one of the files."
I'm able to forgive things that happened 45 years ago. I'm also able to put things in context and understand that 1964 was a very different time in terms of understanding sexual orientation.

Hopefully that's not too complicated for a conservative to comprehend.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually Beck has been on tv since 2006.. So about 3 years. He moved from CNN to Fox several months ago (which caused CNN to remove him from the air until his contract expired, giving him 2 1/2 years on tv). The fact that people think he's "new" on tv, shows you how little popularity CNN is (and this was after Beck raised their raitings 200% in his time slots)..
He wasn't on CNN, he was HLN owned by CNN.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
What I don't get is why libs support someone (Bill Moyers) who asked the FBI to investigate three Johnson administration figures "thought to have homosexual tendencies." "And that weeks before the 1964 Johnson-Goldwater election, Moyers "was tasked to direct [FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover] to do an investigation of Goldwater's staff to find similar evidence of homosexual activity. Mr. Moyers' memo to the FBI was in one of the files."

The intolerable smugness of Bill Moyers. - By Jack Shafer - Slate Magazine
As Unidentifiedmale said, it was a different time. Every homosexual in the public eye was deep in the closet, even those in show business. Hell, Liberace denied being gay. In those days, homosexuality was considered a mental disorder and a perversion. People were compelled to keep any homosexual orientation deeply secret or they would lose their jobs, virtually regardless of what that job was. Consequently, anyone who was homosexual was easily blackmailed. That could become a national security issue. So it wasn't unreasonable for people to want to discover who might be easily blackmailed.

Homosexuality is no longer considered to be a mental illness or a perversion. People have learned a lot in the past few years. Acceptance of it as nothing more than a variation of normal -- a less often occurring orientation but still a normal one -- has enabled people to be who they really are without fear of losing their jobs or being blackmailed.

Last edited by Sagran; 11-22-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-26-2009, 03:49 AM

6 posts, read 5,433 times
Default Bill Moyers

Bill Moyers is not a journalist, he is a propagandist. Whatever the topic, you know his conclusions before you see his program. He cherry picks facts and sources to only present one side of the issue. In America he has the right to do this, although using tax payer funds to do it is questionable. Presenting himself as a fair minded journalist is essentially dishonest.

What he never addresses is why if America is such a terrible place do people from all over the world including minorities and Muslims risk their lives to get here and be part of our free society which he week after week disparages.

Dennis Weidner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies