Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do we have to have Cap and Trade if global warming isn't taking place? If it isn't then the talk about CO2 becomes a whole lot less liable to sway most people and our Congress is getting ready to turn our country into a third world nation with that silly law which is based on global warming. And you ask how our lives will improve with the defeat of the belief that is the cause of Global Warming theory. Just think, Obama won't have to be forced to sign that fool treaty at Copenhagen if this all turns out to be true.

I think this all has a lot to do with our lives in the future.
Not to mention the caterwauling from groups like the UN that want the western nations to pay a "climate debt" to third world nations, because they say we caused global warming and they claim to be negatively affected by it.

So pretty much any naturally occurring climate change is our fault, and we need to give the rest of the world trillions of taxpayer dollars, and punish ourselves with self imposed tariffs, penalties and restrictions. This way their tin pot dictators and criminal warlords can continue to oppress and brutalize the people, and we will subsidize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
But this argument has been going on long before Cap and Trade came along. I don't understand why it angers some people so much.
Because it insults our intelligence.

Of course we know the planet was getting warmer, we only just climbed out of a little ice-age at the beginning of last century, and to try to blame the natural occurrence of a slow and steady warming of the planet on mankind it stoopid.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
I have always been into weather. Got it from
my dad. Just a hobby. Have a nice station. I like numbers and data. I'm not a climatologist in any manner. More of a seasoned amateur.

I have an ivy-league educated brother. A Phd no less. Pretty smart guy. He is an engineer. He was involved in some early research on the subject in the 90's. He told me at Christmas one year to be careful because the science had been hijacked by politicians. He was one of the thousands who were sent data to review. Many like him simply did not respond.

I don't claim to have the answers. I know that in my part of the country the temps are almost identical over a long period. I know that if a CPA firm applied the same science to a clients financial data that these guys have to climate data they would be guilty of fraud. Data is data. A number is a number. To twist and manipulate the dataset is fraud. If this type of science occurred on Wall Street the Left would use it as an example of GOP greed. Why is it acceptable in this case?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM

238 posts, read 729,037 times
Well, hackers got documents and e-mails compromising the reputation and veracity of the climate change issue. The University of East Anglia's Hadley Climatic Research Centre appears to have suffered a security breach in which a hacker downloaded 1079 e-mails and 72 documents of various type.

Link.

Hadley CRU hacked with release of hundreds of docs and emails

Hadley Climatic Research Centre Hacker - Google Videos

Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
my dad. Just a hobby. Have a nice station. I like numbers and data. I'm not a climatologist in any manner. More of a seasoned amateur.

I have an ivy-league educated brother. A Phd no less. Pretty smart guy. He is an engineer. He was involved in some early research on the subject in the 90's. He told me at Christmas one year to be careful because the science had been hijacked by politicians. He was one of the thousands who were sent data to review. Many like him simply did not respond.

I don't claim to have the answers. I know that in my part of the country the temps are almost identical over a long period. I know that if a CPA firm applied the same science to a clients financial data that these guys have to climate data they would be guilty of fraud. Data is data. A number is a number. To twist and manipulate the dataset is fraud. If this type of science occurred on Wall Street the Left would use it as an example of GOP greed. Why is it acceptable in this case?
Funny you mention that.

Tim Ball (Retired climatologist) makes some comments on the CRU issue and mentions the introduction of this movement back then.

Video: Dr. Tim Ball on the CRU emails « Watts Up With That?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post

Because the greedy and the power hungry found a way to use this issue to get rich and powerful, and the politicians turned it into a politically partisan issue.

Politicians like al Gore purposely inflamed the issue by vilifying anyone who opposes man-induced global warming, and referring them as "flat earthers" or "global warming (holocaust) deniers" ie... Nazis, in an attempt to divide people along ideological and political party lines.

Now we have people who have been taught to hate those on the right, using global warming as a club to beat the uncaring, earth destroying, holocaust.... er.... AGW deniers with.

Once it became political, politicians have been dipping into taxpayer money and funding the issue to keep it alive and increase their power and wealth. Albert Gore went from being worth a few hundred thousand dollars in 2001, to being worth around $100 million in 2008. AGW has been very good to him, and he does even have to debate the issue.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Looks like the e-mnails have painted a true picture of scientist trying to rig the debate for their own funding good.Greed pure and simple iy seems.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
There is something strange about this thread. I don't know if I've ever seen a "Global Warming" thread where there wasn't a mass invasion of the chicken littles. There is an unusual, but refreshing, harmony of sound judgment and reason here - so far.

Sorry in advance if my comment turns out to be a jinx and they come loudly crashing in with torches in hand.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Looks like the e-mnails have painted a true picture of scientist trying to rig the debate for their own funding good.Greed pure and simple iy seems.
Personally, and as a matter of speculation, I don't think this is uncommon. Many research fields follow similar processes of political involvement based on campaigns of agenda and manipulation. I think there is a lot of fraudulent claims being promoted in the medical research field using fluffy statistics through epidemiological studies to proclaim fact on any given subject and of course I doubt it stops there as well.

If anything, I hope this finding results in the "tightening of the belt" so to speak on policy for research and scientific practice. Maybe we could hope for releases such as these to happen in the numerous fields to which show an odd political involvement. Though I imagine I am being too idealistic in such expectations.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There is something strange about this thread. I don't know if I've ever seen a "Global Warming" thread where there wasn't a mass invasion of the chicken littles. There is an unusual, but refreshing, harmony of sound judgment and reason here - so far.

Sorry in advance if my comment turns out to be a jinx and they come loudly crashing in with torches in hand.

Their religion just came crashing down around them. If you look over there you'll see them curled up in fetal positions muttering incoherently to themselves...something about the truth being awfully inconvenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies