Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Gotta go with good ol' Old Gringo on this one. I think it is still possible that we will come through this relatively unscathed. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist. But in my lifetime, the Cold War ended, without much bloodshed. I really don't think a lot of people a generation older than me thought that was possible. Then it just happened.
It didn't just happen ;it took from 1945 to the end in challenging the opposition to make it happen. Consistent guardingship by a foreign policy thru out successive administrations and scarifcie by millions of individuals in this country and others that beleived in the western way of life.They had a common set of values which are quickly disapppearing. Now so many avoid any individaul sacrifce in wanting self entitlements paid for by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
The question should be asked how did we get here.
Problem is if your going to ask the government they arent going to tell everyone they screwed up.
Wars, trillions in debt, creating programs and credit from thin air to support banks and interest rates that created the bubbles in the first place. If we all really knew the truth we would throw them all out of office and start over. They will never tell you the truth and hope to distract from the fact that they are lying cheating people who use, race, fake money and power to control a nation. Because those who benefit from those bubbles know what they are doing and dont want you to know what they are doing.
So they create the bubble it breaks and then they come in to fix the very thing they created in the first place.
We have americans in this country who are blind and vote based on what the government will steal from other groups in hopes that make another group "pay more" will fix the issue.

Its not that we dont have enough taxes its that that government spends more then it actually has. No taxes will or government program or healthcare will fix a flawed concept that government knows best.
Remove all the taxes and you will find a nation actually working with a real economy and a government without any power. No social power over your lifestyle or your wallet and maybe the words liberty and freedom to those who are rich, middle, poor, gay and straight and everything in between will tell mommy and daddy (government) to get a life and stop running ours.

PS Ron Paul 2012 ..... We can start being American again.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Let's put our head in the sand...there are NO problems...tell yourself that often enough you may start to believe it....Take your two Xanax and call me in the morning!!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:14 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It didn't just happen ;it took from 1945 to the end in challenging the opposition to make it happen. Consistent guardingship by a foreign policy thru out successive administrations and scarifcie by millions of individuals in this country and others that beleived in the western way of life.They had a common set of values which are quickly disapppearing. Now so many avoid any individaul sacrifce in wanting self entitlements paid for by others.
I know--that's not what I am saying. I am saying that something happened in 1988-1989, and the result was the Berlin Wall came tumbling metaphorically down. And not much blood was shed. It didn't take WWIII.

And as for creating new jobs for the middle class, we have to create new industry to solve 21st century problems. The old paradigm of what makes the U.S. great doesn't work anymore. The assembly line, or whatever similar example, was great. Now we need an assembly line for ideas or solutions or something like that. It is hard to put into words something that doesn't exist yet but that should exist.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
I know--that's not what I am saying. I am saying that something happened in 1988-1989, and the result was the Berlin Wall came tumbling metaphorically down. And not much blood was shed. It didn't take WWIII.

And as for creating new jobs for the middle class, we have to create new industry to solve 21st century problems. The old paradigm of what makes the U.S. great doesn't work anymore. The assembly line, or whatever similar example, was great. Now we need an assembly line for ideas or solutions or something like that. It is hard to put into words something that doesn't exist yet but that should exist.

We are already past how the Berlin Wall fell. They were not going to attack their brothers and sisters on each side.

As far as creating new jobs, it is called sky high import tariffs!! Bring them back and watch a second industrial revolution.
Get rid of the illegal aliens, sucking us dry from all angles, like a parasite.
Tax foreign owned businesses, like a duty tax to do business in America.
Tax all job outsourcing. If you outsource labor or subcontract labor to anyone but an American citizen, your heavily taxed.

What you say?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Well we have the "Green Industry"..oh wait, China is already cornering the market on that.

I know..let's put some R&D PhD's to work..oh wait, they've all been outsourced.

Let's get our best burger flippers or retail cashiers on it right away..that's all we have left.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We are already past how the Berlin Wall fell. They were not going to attack their brothers and sisters on each side.

As far as creating new jobs, it is called sky high import tariffs!! Bring them back and watch a second industrial revolution.
Tax all job outsourcing. If you outsource labor or subcontract labor to anyone but an American citizen, your heavily taxed.

What you say?
I doubt they will come back. Companies won't change their profit margins to accomodate high labor costs in the US.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Now we get report after report that the government fudges numbers in order to influence the stock market and manipulate consumer activity. They're cooking the books the same as companies who do the same thing to fleece investors. We used to have a free press and journalists who would be our watch dogs against these machinations, now they're almost all on somebody's payroll. The interent is our last line of defense and they're already rumbling about how they "need to control and regulate it".
We need third party candidates but we also need independant news sources.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

What you say?
I don't think it would take that. Some import tariffs would help. As would an export tariff on outsourcing jobs. Why should companies who cause social bads be allowed to get away with it without paying a tariff?

You could then put the revenue generated by such tariffs into specifically targeted job creation strategies. I see these jobs falling into two general areas.

The first is education. There is a serious undersupply of American born advanced degree engineers. The supply that we do have is older--they are ready to leave the industry. This is a huge problem in the field of engineering, and practitioners call it the "generation gap." American students need to be prepared sufficiently in high schools in terms of math and science so they can handle college level coursework in engineering. Students need to be recruited into these fields. As long as the penalty for outsourcing jobs is high enough, and as long as American universities can supply engineers, then American firms will have no choice but to hire domestically.

The second is technology-based manufacturing. Mr. Diva's brother recently got laid off from a decently paying high tech manufacturing job. Since the demand for high tech has not really decreased--the one thing people are still buying is gadgets--such job losses should be prevented as much as possible. I don't know the complicated events that led to this particular layoff, but someone undoubtedly does.

So what I'm suggesting here is not a rigidly controlled market, but a precisely controlled market. It is a market controlled by a scalpel rather than a chainsaw. In theory, it should work. The problem is the execution. But, you must first convince people that the idea is possible before you start dealing with the details of implementation.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Armed revolt? In this country? Laughable.

We have a populace that's hypnotized by cheap food, Tee-Vee, and other circuses.

Maybe we should look to France for inspiration. I was there a few years ago when unemployment was running high there, and eventually riots broke out over the government's inaction on unemployment. These were not smal riots, in some places, they were on the same scale as the Rodney King riots in LA. After all this, the government wisely decided to take action. Over there, the government fears the citizenry and that's the way it should be. We don't quite fear our government here, the biggest problem is that we can't remove our lips from the behinds of our corporate masters and the large banking institutions.
Golly! I thought I was the only one who sees the truth. Americans are weak sheep. They will follow their corporate masters over the cliff. They do what they are told and rarely raise a stink about anything worth raising stink about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies