Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
No I am not the confused one you are. You as usual can not answer the question so you get diarrhea of the mouth in am attempt to throw people off. The money WILL come for the tax payers and no matter how you try and put it in a pretty package that is the bottom line. One last time. I will use your terminology to make it easier for you. Where is the "start-up" money coming from?
For the fifth or sixth time, there is an appropriation for the start-up costs in the bill. It puts people into offices that have actual desks and computers and copy machines and phones and all that sort of thing. After that, there is NO MORE SUBSIDY FOR THE PUBLIC OPTION. They must operate as any private sector insurance company would while also paying back the start-up costs to the Treasury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
FAUX News attempts to mislead once again....

Quick Fact: Fox & Friends Hosts Falsely Suggest OFA Director Compared Palin To A Terrorist
Your own video doesnt say that the OFA Director Compared Palin to a terrorists, they said that the OFA Director called Palins "book tour" dangerous... The "more dangerous than a terrorist" comment was not a comment claimed to have been made by the OFA Director.

I can see why FOX isnt the news source for some liberals, it requires you to actually think and listen.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

17,397 posts, read 11,963,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It's only true if there are transfers to the public option, which there are not except for the necessary startup costs (office space, staff, equipment, etc.). Thereafter, the public option as currently defined must operate exactly as any private sector insurance company does. Its benefits paid and costs incurred must be covered by premiums earned. Of course, there will not be any $25 million a year executives, and no Grand Public Option Towers will come to dot any city skylines, so premiums for the same coverage are likely to be lower with the public option.
Run by the government, who has NEVER run anything that hasn't cost WAY more than originally estimated.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you don't know what the words, "other than such amounts as are otherwise provided" mean. That is Congressional talk for there will certainly be some or many otherwises. Yes I see the rest of that Exchange crap but it is all crap to be translated at a future date, as needed.
No, it's Congressional talk for while we might at some point want to do something with exchange-based insurance programs as a group, there will be no special appropriations that go only to the public option program at all.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
False. No money goes to the public option after start-up costs. It has to be self-supporting, just like any private insurance company.
Good Lord......they're funding the "start up costs" for 5 years before starting the program. How is that self-supporting?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Oh Captain Happy, I was responding to a question about how the Public Option would be paid for.

Obviously, if it is not paid for by tax payers, it is paid for by a different system. A system similar to Medicare. You see, I must show how the Public Option is paid for, other than taxes, to show that Fox New's claim that it is paid for by taxes, is a lie.

Are you able to follow the logic?
There is no WAY anyone can follow your logic. This different system? Like Medicare - it's PAID FOR BY TAXPAYERS.

Liberals are so stupid sometimes.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
its costing us 1 trillion dollars for office chairs? why does the tax not go away after start up
Start-up costs $2 billion. The bill as a whole costs $891 billion. Does the difference between 2 and 891 answer your question?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Start-up costs $2 billion. The bill as a whole costs $891 billion. Does the difference between 2 and 891 answer your question?
And the other $889B is for what?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,187,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
<snip>I can see why FOX isnt the news source for some liberals, it requires you to actually think and listen.
And I can see why you never get any headway in your arguments...

Old 11-24-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What I wonder about is how the public option turns out to be non-profit but tries to compete with the established companies that have much more than that $2 billion Saggy talks about as all they will ever have. They will be very non-profit and will have to have all kinds of subsidies paid to them to keep them profitable.
They have to pay back the $2 billion, which they will do out of premiums -- the very same thing that private insurance companies rely on. But the public option would not be sucking off 30 cents out of every dollar worth of those premiums for itself because they won't be paying huge salaries, they won't be sponsoring golf tournaments, and they won't be needing to make a profit. They need to set premiums to cover benefits, admin costs, and sensible additions to reserves. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies