Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times

Advertisements

Ban this, tax that. some people sound like a Si/fi , movie, where the few, take away the Freedoms of the masses, just because the want to. and can. Leave other people alone. If a smokey bus goes buy, cover your nose, don't ban the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Ban this, tax that. some people sound like a Si/fi , movie, where the few, take away the Freedoms of the masses, just because the want to. and can. Leave other people alone. If a smokey bus goes buy, cover your nose, don't ban the bus.
You're equating smoking with freedom...as in, freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution? I think you should take civics over again.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 AM

50 posts, read 65,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I think it should be totally banned in public places. If you want to kill yourself in the privacy of your own home, car or yard, fine. People should not be exposed to smoke in their everyday life at the behest of another's habit.
I probably should have phrased my reply differently. I really don't have a problem with people smoking in their owns home either.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You're equating smoking with freedom...as in, freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution? I think you should take civics over again.
You miss my point--my freedom is not granted by any one but God. And I demand it. I ask for my freedom from no man. Texans are like that. Americans use to be like that. Now we beg for permission to blow our noses. If someone objects to my Freedon, they are free to try and take it from me.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Now we beg for permission to blow our noses.
Permission denied. If you want to blow your nose, go home to do it. Otherwise, let it drip.

(Gawd, that reminds me of a Village Inn waiter who once served my breakfast with a dripping nose! It took me YEARS before I'd even go back into that restaurant. I'd have MUCH rather he'd have been smoking a cigarette!)

Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Permission denied. If you want to blow your nose, go home to do it. Otherwise, let it drip.

(Gawd, that reminds me of a Village Inn waiter who once served my breakfast with a dripping nose! It took me YEARS before I'd even go back into that restaurant. I'd have MUCH rather he'd have been smoking a cigarette!)
I always carry a Hanky

Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
I'd like to see smoking banned. We can all vape or use e-ciggs.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM

I vote to "ban all banners".

Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
I am all for people having the right to do as they wish.

But.....when your right to smoke is overriding my right to not inhale smoke, who gets to win that one? It really is one or the other, there is no in between.

Because I HATE cigarette smoke, with a passion, I think it should be completely illegal to smoke in any public place. I hated walking to class in college and being stuck behind someone smoking, having to breathe in those fumes while walking up a hill. I hated lounging on the beach, enjoying the glorious salt air, only to be have my nostrils rudely awakened by someone smoking 10 ft away from me. I hate that when I go out to bars, I have to avoid certain ones because I don't feel like putting tar in my lungs.

Why is it that I have to stop living my life because of someone else's choices? Yes, that statement can definitely apply to smokers. BUT, I think that when one person's actions can affect the health of others, the person that is affecting others needs to be the one to give things up. In this case, their right to smoke in public. Smoke all you want in your home (hopefully not in the same room as your child or pet), roll up the windows in your car and fill that sucker up on nastiness (yeah, roll them up....I can still smell that crap when I am driving behind you....if you don't want that smoke in your car, what makes you think others do?). Leave my lungs out of YOUR choices.

Again, I am all for people having the right to do what they please, but when it comes to one person's right over anothers....I think the person with the "healthy" side of it should win.
Damn son. I couldn't of said it better myself!!! Very well said.

"Your right to swing your fits ends where my nose begins."

Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Let's not forget the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies