Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You're equating smoking with freedom...as in, freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution? I think you should take civics over again.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

If it makes someone happy to smoke, then it is covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
Your picking on an easy target. If you want clean air, tobacco smoke is not the real problem.

It's easy to say no smoking, but the real health problems are other industries, blast them not your neighborhood smoker.

I am not saying smoking is good, but some people want smoking to be outlawed outside while they get into their cars and trucks and use tons of coal/oil fired electricity.
Air pollution from cars and factories has been in pretty sharp decline in most parts of the US for the past 30 years. Even Los Angeles has significantly cleaner air than it did just 10 years ago...and that trend looks set to continue as today's cars pollute less than cars from 10 years ago. Same story with industrial emissions.

The smoking thing is tricky. Here in California, it has been banned in just about all public buildings for the last 10 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. Landlords can also choose not to rent to smokers. Some people in apartments and condos say they can smell smoke from people in neighboring units. Seems like this wouldn't happen if they didn't build so cheaply! Seems like telling people what they can and can't do in their own homes is going too far for me.

I also think smoking should be banned in outdoor stadiums, etc. And I also think about all the cigarette butts on beaches...ICK!! But I think maybe beaches banning smoking goes too far.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Studies have shown that health has improved after enacting smoking bans. That fact can't be debated.

Some people say smoking bans hurt business. But a lot of times, business actually goes up because non-smokers are more likely to go somewhere with a smoking ban.
A lot of those so-called studies were based on politically motivated junk-science. You can't always believe what they say in these so-called "scientific studies". The methodology is often poor and many of these studies are done to promote an agenda.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Air pollution from cars and factories has been in pretty sharp decline in most parts of the US for the past 30 years. Even Los Angeles has significantly cleaner air than it did just 10 years ago...and that trend looks set to continue as today's cars pollute less than cars from 10 years ago. Same story with industrial emissions.

The smoking thing is tricky. Here in California, it has been banned in just about all public buildings for the last 10 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. Landlords can also choose not to rent to smokers. Some people in apartments and condos say they can smell smoke from people in neighboring units. Seems like this wouldn't happen if they didn't build so cheaply! Seems like telling people what they can and can't do in their own homes is going too far for me.

I also think smoking should be banned in outdoor stadiums, etc. And I also think about all the cigarette butts on beaches...ICK!! But I think maybe beaches banning smoking goes too far.
beware of what you wish........one ban leads to another, then another and pretty soon it's right in YOUR space.........

Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,527 times
I can't stand when employees smoke in front of the entry way of their workplace. It grosses me out. Their employer should be more aware of it and not allow it.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
What people choose to do when they're not on their company's time is up to them.

If they choose to continue doing work for the company on their own time, that's their decision. If they choose to hang out and smoke outside, that's their choice. They're not on the company's time, they're free to do as they please.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:23 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
If someone wants to ban smoking any substance maybe Salvia smoking should be banned. It's hard to believe that it is legal to smoke this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPfnJVEr8E

Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
We use to smoke grape vines--lets add them to the ban list.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
the problem with Cigs. is not just the additives in their cheap tobacco, but the chemicals they put in the paper. Smoking 20 sheets of that paper, per pack, is actually what causes the problem. --Now a good Cigar, is a Smoke. think I'll have one, come to think of it. Cheers.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

If it makes someone happy to smoke, then it is covered.
One man right to pursue happiness, ends at the other fellow's nose. It is an established principle of law. It is usually expressed, your right to swing your fist, ends at the other fellow's nose.

What is so difficult for the tobacco-skanks to understand, I'll never understand, but then again, I am not a drug addict as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies