Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:13 AM

127 posts, read 364,713 times

Advertisements

I don't think it should be banned, but nothing bugs me quite as much as people smoking around their kids. My parents both chain smoked in the house, in the car, everywhere when we were little. If I got sick, I would stay sick for weeks because of the smoke. I didn't even know how bad cigarette smoke makes things smell until I was in my 20's, had quit myself, and went to visit my parents.

Smoking is an act of free will, but I don't understand how purposely and knowingly putting a childs health at risk isn't punishable in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,769 times
The OP said she is OK with what the people do in her own home. Well I for one do not smoke but would like to have children free areas. There are times I go to public places and the kids there are so unruly. It is not smoke pollution but noise pollution I want fixed. I am a father but my son is 15 now and when he was younger I would not have let him act up. Maybe the parents should have to pay a tax to have the children with them outside of their house.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Now let's be clear, I am talking publicly. I could care less what anyone else does in the privacy of his/her home as long as it does not negatively impact me and my family! Smoke away in your car, in your home, in your backyard,and in other designated areas. But do not invade my clean air space!
If you drive a car or run any electrical appliance, you are also affecting air quality.

I can understand people not wanting to breathe cigarette smoke, but I also do not want to breathe the exhaust from a hemi flareside pickup or an H2 while I am trying to jog on the sidewalk. Deal?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
I would love to "get away" if smokers would kindly stay away from the entrances to buildings.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Yes, smoking should be banned.
So should free speech.
And giving a child discipline.
And giving up your rights of search without probable cause.
And hanging your laundry outside on a clothes line to dry.
And having a small outside campfire in your yard to roast weiners and marsh mellows.
Anything that isn't PC correct should be banned.
Then we get to the point of being PC correct puppets.
That is what the government wants and brainwashed do gooders dont have enough back bone to realize that if they don't eat the right government recommeded diet they will fall into "banned" catogory also.
Wake up people.
The best of America is past.
So is individual right of choice.
I'm glad I'm older and lived most of my life as a person who had the right of personal choice.
This America isn't the one I grew up in. I hate to think what it is going to be in my kids and grandkids lifetime.
Government control and PC correct control instead of individual freedoms that have been a way of life since this country was founded has been eroded.
I wish all you young people the best. You will never experience what American freedom really was.
You will just know control of PC correct laws and money hungry lawyer manipulation that controls your lives.
We need to turn the clock back about 50 years so everybody could live free form PC correctness
and be free people again.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can only agree that smoking should be banned if you also agree that the police can come into your home at any time to see if you are smoking, or can compel you at any time to subject yourself to a medical test that would detect a smoking product in your system. And if you agree that billions of dollars should be spent on border patrols to intercept any smoking materials that are being smuggled into the country.
Who are you kidding? We don't seem to be stopping anything or anyone from crossing our borders now!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Yes, smoking should be banned.
So should free speech.
And giving a child discipline.
And giving up your rights of search without probable cause.
And hanging your laundry outside on a clothes line to dry.
And having a small outside campfire in your yard to roast weiners and marsh mellows.
Anything that isn't PC correct should be banned.
Then we get to the point of being PC correct puppets.
That is what the government wants and brainwashed do gooders dont have enough back bone to realize that if they don't eat the right government recommeded diet they will fall into "banned" catogory also.
Wake up people.
The best of America is past.
So is individual right of choice.
I'm glad I'm older and lived most of my life as a person who had the right of personal choice.
This America isn't the one I grew up in. I hate to think what it is going to be in my kids and grandkids lifetime.
Government control and PC correct control instead of individual freedoms that have been a way of life since this country was founded has been eroded.
I wish all you young people the best. You will never experience what American freedom really was.
You will just know control of PC correct laws and money hungry lawyer manipulation that controls your lives.
We need to turn the clock back about 50 years so everybody could live free form PC correctness
and be free people again.
You sound like you need a cigarette.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota rocks over fl View Post
I think that it should be taxed, but not banned. If you don't like the smoke, just get away.
Nope. Along with other drugs, it should be legal and taxed. If someone wants to smoke, drink, rent a hooker, or get high...let them. But let's make some tax money off the recreation.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Banning such an ubiquitous thing like cigarettes just opens the door to banning anything that someone in the FDA (if they had the power) deems bad for you.

Alcohol - substance abuse
Fast Food - makes you fat
Too much TV - rots your brain
Cell Phones - texting/talking while driving and let's not forget the brain cancer(if you buy that)
iPods - loud music damages your ears
Coffee - turns your teeth yellow - oh and substance abuse!

Where would you draw the line?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 AM

25,731 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I jog on a public trail in one of our local canyons quite often. The bike/jogging path parallels the highway off and on as it winds up the canyon. As I jog along, every time a car or elephant-sized diesel pickup goes by (especially an older one), I inhale the toxic fumes from the exhaust being spewed forth. Why should my delicate lungs be subjected to this? Vehicle exhaust is much more toxic than some guy/gal puffing on a cigarette and me getting a hint of a whiff in passing.

I say save our lungs, ban automobiles... and anything else that has toxic emissions that are on par or worse than cigarette smoke.

And you’ll have to give up barbequing in your backyard too. That's terror on my lungs and it must stop. It’s the right thing to do. Do it for my lungs. Oh, and that crack that you're smoking all day? Sorry. Got to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies