Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM

179 posts, read 119,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Here sous777, let me quote it for you since you IGNORED it on the other thread...
What makes you think I care about your personal views on homosexuality? I don't and neither does the OP. That's not what topic was about.

It was about the negative effects of religion on mainstream society.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
And you've certainly not provided an ounce of evidence other than your "religion" as to why gays shouldn't have equal rights.

So in that regard, your argument is non existant.
This is what you said. I assumed it was what you meant.

I responded to it with what I said.

The readers can make up their OWN minds.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
you know man,alot [sic] of posters here who put down religion do so because they say religious people act high and mighty and judge others,which is exacty how you are acting,go figuire [sic].
I read about a third of these posts, mainly out of fascination with the imaginative stretches of reality used on both sides of the argument. I had to stop. I couldn't take it anymore.

In the process of reading I did find this comment to be interesting.

I'm pretty much neutral in regards to religion except for one area.

In answer to your comments, yes, I do. I don't put down religion because of it, but I find that, quite often, those around me who are religious seem to think there's something wrong with me because i don't "believe" and don't go to church. I find it annoying, rude, and insensitive, as well as unbelievably egotistical.

In my work I enter homes on a daily basis to repair computers. Quite often I am lambasted with religious material and asked endless questions about my beliefs. Recently I was told that if I didn't find God I was going to burn in Hell for eternity. I don't go back to those client's homes.

So the next time you wonder about "the rest of us" and our attitudes about religions and religious beliefs, look in the mirror and ask yourself if You think I will burn in Hell because I don't believe in Your God or Gods. If the answer is yes perhaps you should go to church and ask God for forgiveness.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Well, you certainly seem to have no problem touting the "choice" of homosexuality as fact, even though scientific evidence shows it's not.

Again you are attempting to discredit the idea of evolution and I ask you again...what evidence have you provided to support your views? There is so much evidence linking humans to a common ancestor.

.....and none suggesting the Biblical story of Adam & Eve. Unless of course you'd like to prove me wrong.

Much of science is based on fact. You can't come to a conclusion without enough supporting evidence. I think you mean, faith is based on faith. Other than the Bible what other pieces of evidence do you have to support your views?

We have fossil records, dirt samples, ice samples and rock formations, etc that more than fill in enough of the "missing pieces". I don't see such overwhelming evidence for Christian viewpoints.

Does the following sound sick and twisted to you?

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT

"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death." - Leviticus 20:10 NLT

"But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst." - Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." - Exodus 21:20-21 NAB

And this is the book by which you're judging gays by? That certainly says a lot.

Good luck to ya bud. I can't continue to debate with someone who is bent on pushing their point beyond reason.

I said I agree with evolution, you say that I don't. Weird.

You say I tout my opinion of gay being choice. I've said over and over that no one has to listen to my opnion.

You are wanting evidence presented of Adam and Eve after I said I don't think the story is the "Fact of Adam and Eve". As if you would accept any source of any tiny shred of evidence, why even ask, and why push that I think its fact when I say I'm always open to other things?

You are not interested in an actual discussion or sharing of ideas.

Have a nice evening.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Nice way to bow out after you've been disproved.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:59 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Nice way to bow out after you've been disproved.
Disproving requires coherent discussion. Coherent discussion doesn't include failure to remember what a person said 5 minutes earlier.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Disproving requires coherent discussion. Coherent discussion doesn't include failure to remember what a person said 5 minutes earlier.
Disproving also requires evidence to support your viewpoints. Something I have consistently done. None of you Christians have provided the first bit of factual evidence other than your Bible to support your opinions.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I read about a third of these posts, mainly out of fascination with the imaginative stretches of reality used on both sides of the argument. I had to stop. I couldn't take it anymore.

In the process of reading I did find this comment to be interesting.

I'm pretty much neutral in regards to religion except for one area.

In answer to your comments, yes, I do. I don't put down religion because of it, but I find that, quite often, those around me who are religious seem to think there's something wrong with me because i don't "believe" and don't go to church. I find it annoying, rude, and insensitive, as well as unbelievably egotistical.

In my work I enter homes on a daily basis to repair computers. Quite often I am lambasted with religious material and asked endless questions about my beliefs. Recently I was told that if I didn't find God I was going to burn in Hell for eternity. I don't go back to those client's homes.

So the next time you wonder about "the rest of us" and our attitudes about religions and religious beliefs, look in the mirror and ask yourself if You think I will burn in Hell because I don't believe in Your God or Gods. If the answer is yes perhaps you should go to church and ask God for forgiveness.
Well, I don't go to church, too many hypocrites, and I ask God for forgiveness for MY sins ALMOST every day. (Some days I forget...) I don't get into people's faces about MY religion OR THEIRS, but I will 'witness' when someone shows an interest. I try to treat everyone I meet with the same respect that I would want should the positions be reversed. That's what Christians are SUPPOSED to do, IMHO.

If your exposure to Christians has led you to people who are not 'Christ-like', I would posit that you have not met a Christian after all, but one of those 'washed-on-the-outside, filthy-on-the-inside' hypocrites that Jesus himself condemned.
Luke 11:39-52
Quote:
39Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41But give what is inside the dish [j] to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

42"Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

43"Woe to you Pharisees, because you love the most important seats in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces.

44"Woe to you, because you are like unmarked graves, which men walk over without knowing it."

45One of the experts in the law answered him, "Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us also."

46Jesus replied, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

47"Woe to you, because you build tombs for the prophets, and it was your forefathers who killed them. 48So you testify that you approve of what your forefathers did; they killed the prophets, and you build their tombs. 49Because of this, God in his wisdom said, 'I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and others they will persecute.' 50Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world, 51from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.

52"Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering."

Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
upon a bit of research, I found that deuteronomy 22:9,11 does indeed state the fact about linen and wool. But....the law was given to the Jewish people only, not to the gentile population.

It is forbidden for the Jews to wear such garments, but not for non-Jews.
Please, when taking things from the Bible, get the facts correct.

One thing I have learned with my walk in faith. No one, no not one can shake my faith in God.

And you know what else? I do not have to defend my belief to anyone, nor have proof that God exists.

This country was founded on Godly principals and many of our laws come from the ten commandments. America is a Godly nation regardless of whether you like it or not. People who are not Godly can reside in this country simply because they are American. Just, do not try to change the very foundation this country was founded on, you will find the majority of Americans are believers and simply will not tolerate it. If you find you cannot live under such laws, there are many places in this world you can be accepted in.
This is not meant to be mean spirited, just simple fact. And try as many might, they cannot erase how this country was founded.
Actually love, when the passages were written no new covenant had been established between anyone. The Jews were the only people of god. So if you wanna expand the passages regarding homosexuality to everyone, you have to expand ALL of them. So get YOUR facts straight. Also, most of the founding fathers were NOT christians so please..like I said get YOUR facts straight. K? Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Actually love, when the passages were written no new covenant had been established between anyone. The Jews were the only people of god. So if you wanna expand the passages regarding homosexuality to everyone, you have to expand ALL of them. So get YOUR facts straight. Also, most of the founding fathers were NOT christians so please..like I said et YOUR facts straight. K? Thanks
The admonition about homosexuality is in Romans 1:26-27

That's NEW Testament, and the reason it's an issue with Christians. Old Testament laws apply ONLY to the Jewish.

*Edited to add* Romans ALSO says that the Jews will get it right,too, before Armageddon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies