Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM

112 posts, read 130,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I believe the woman's movement was not necessarily about working, but about the RIGHT TO WORK. Now, woman HAVE to enter the workforce to sustain a household AND we have to work at home to keep up the household. Reason, cost of living.

I would go more into what I want to say and would add to it later, but I'm on my way to watch a movie wtih the hubby and son on Thankgsiving.. the 3D scrooge movie.

I'll give you more later of what I wanted to say.
Im about to leave for a get together too, but I wanted to clarify I wasnt saying a "women" has to stroke the ego of a male. I was only trying to make sense out of the biblical viewpoint somehow, but ultimately maybe thats not possible.

If you re-read what I wrote though, I was saying that "dominant" people need to feel like they won. Sometimes my wife is hell bent on being right and I have to concede, or be tortured for eternity. While at other times, I am that way.

This of course goes beyond the bible and Christianity, but as I said I was only trying to take a stab at how a christian woman would have to rationalize if they must believe the bible, but also dont want to believe god is sexist.

Bear in mind Im not really christian nor a woman, so you probably are better versed on this topic than I am! happy thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think that religion is the dean of the school of ethics.
the fact that alota people are truant from this school is indicative in the behavior of our society.
What if our society followed the behavior dictated by God's "perfect and just" laws in Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy?

Quote:
The Bible is filled with countless stories of aggressive warmongering, genocide, pillaging, plundering, wanton destruction, sexual slavery, rape, misogyny, child abuse, homophobia, unfair laws, cruel and unusual punishment, the punishment of innocents, and brutal chattel slavery. God himself authorized all this, as entire chapters of alleged direct quotes from Jehovah show.
The Bible Forbids Abortion

Could it be this is part of the cause of people leaving Christianity?

Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The very question mixes Church and State. Perhaps the Churches should look to themselves
Excellent point!

Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
I would think the bible saying to forbid abortion would be why people are sticking to Christianity. Doesn't Islam forbid abortion? Anyway, the religion that does not support abortion will have the most members in the future---only makes sense.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I would think the bible saying to forbid abortion would be why people are sticking to Christianity. Doesn't Islam forbid abortion? Anyway, the religion that does not support abortion will have the most members in the future---only makes sense.
No Islam does not forbid abortion. My best friend is a Muslim so I know this for a fact. Abortion is perfectly ok up until 60 days of pregnancy.

Don't just assume. Research. That would help.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
true....believe as you wish but be realistic. The bible is just a book, as you said written long after christ was gone. Just like Thomas paine said in the age of reason if chris had intended to start a new religion he would have done so while on the earth.
There you go again. Have you never heard of the dead sea scrolls?

Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
religion is the one that denies it and teaches things like the world is 6,000 years old.......obviously not everyone in the church but many.
That, from what I understand from people that gather that, is taken from the book of Genesis where everything was created in 6 days and 1 day was like 1,000 years. But if you're a god then space-time would mean nothing more than you know the begining and the end. So I think it's disingenuous to assume god had time limits and that's not saying you made up the idea of 6,000 years. It does say though:
Quote:
Luke 12:7
But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered
When thinking about the laws of thermodynamics that makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes, America is in danger of losing Christianity and becoming a Muslim nation. France is about there now and Britain will be next. The Muslims are having more children than other religions. They will dominate in the future.

thats right the 9 million in america will soon outnumber the other 295 million people. Probably ny 2012 I assume

Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Are you denying that religion and religious wars are responsible for more deaths than all other wars combined????? That my friend is a fact. One which you seem to be denying.
You seriously think that? Do you understand that as you go back in time there were less people overall. You can't use WWI or WWII as a religious war. The conquest only accounted for a small fraction of the people that died during the last century.

Point out the "facts", from a reputable source, no atheist websites, and let's review them. You'd be hard pressed to find 150,000,000 causalities.

Here I'll help:
Selected Death Tolls for Wars, Massacres and Atrocities Before the 20th Century
Source List and Detailed Death Tolls for the Twentieth Century Hemoclysm

Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
Actually you are completely agreeing with me. My tone may have seemed chauvinistic... but I completely agree with you.

I was referencing passages in the bible that seem chauvinistic and trying to illustrate that maybe it isnt god per se that has said women are inferior but rather some women may simply feel inferior in the role of "housewife". They do seem to need constant reassurance that they are "important" from their husband. While a husband doesnt generally seek that type of stroke.

If you go beyond the whole man/woman theme. The message is much broader. Happiness is achieved through balance. A relationship would not work if each person was always in a power struggle trying to dominate the other. Likewise it wouldnt work if both just sat around waiting for the other to tell them what to do. When each person operates independently and brings what the other is lacking to the table, you have a succesful relationship.

Sometimes its necessary to "pet" the egos of those that need to be dominant. You have to let them feel like they "won" somehow to get them off your back. This is done in business all the time, "the customer is always right" Just give them whatever they want so they shut UP! since it means making a buck. It doesn't happen so much in long term relationships... so possibly the intentions of parts of the bible is to have "GOD" tell women to find some sort of happiness through "serving your man".

*I have no real interest in whether the bible is true or not. I dont make a case for or against it... just analyzing statements from different angles. Your guess would be as good as mine as to what that meant and why its there.

Truth be told, sometimes I just want to win and wont stop until I feel like I have, while other times, I'm fine letting someone else win, even if I know they are wrong. This is part of balance too, nothing is ever a constant.

Gotcha....Sorry if I mis-read your other post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies