Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I understand what you are saying and in no way do I mean to insult you for working hard to provide for your family. I applaud it in fact. I am just saying , and this is overall not directly at you, that children have been sort of forgotten about in the whole process. Many parents drop the kids off at day-care at 7 am and pick them up at 5pm. They have no time with their parents. At a young age the parents are the most influential people in a kids life, or they should be at least. I think people rasing their own kids has taken a backseat to needing 2 good cars, living in a keep up with the jones' neighborhood, wearing expensive clothes etc etc.

There is nothing at all wrong with working hard but I just think there are more important things in life than things. I think it would be of great societal value for people to maybe drive a crappier car and spend an extra 5 hours a week with their kids. To not have a spare room, play room, and a finished basement and spend an extra day a week taking the kids to a park etc. The value of life is not in what we have. It lies in much deeper things, things money cannot buy but time can.

Again just my 2 cents and in know way do I mean this as an insult to you at all
Hi,

I in no way took offense.

Actually since having my son I haven't worked much. That has contributed (on top of the recession) to our financial struggles. Funny, on this board I am villified for having financial troubles and NOT getting 3 or 4 jobs in order to get out of it (finanical trouble with health insurance ,etc.).

I agree.. kids have gotten pushed into daycare and parents have lost ah old on parenting their own children. There needs to be more balance. What I'm actually saying is that we are at a point now where doing so becomes impossible.. OR you are going to struggle financially and not have the security our parents once had when only one spouse was the bread winner. Now, in order for a couple to survive only one parent working, the one parent better be a high earner (no more blue collar workers able to sustain middle class status).

I was somewhat fortunate in that I had the ability to stay home.. actually I had no choice because in my case working outside of the home would have cost me more because daycare was/is so expensive. Most of the women I know that ARE working outside the home are relying on family and friends to care for children while they do it. For me, I had no family nearby and I would have been working just to pay for daycare (at least where I used to live). I'd get better fulfillment spending that time with my child. That being said, after i had him he was all I could or wanted to focus on adn I couldnt' imagine having to be away from him for 8 hours a day while working in an office. I would have been a terrible employee because I wouldn't have wanted to be there and all I would have been able to think about was my baby at home. I don't know how women do it.

I think, with exception to woman that have a solid "career" and not just a "job", that most would choose to stay home with their child if it was financially feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:46 AM

112 posts, read 130,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Hi,

I in no way took offense.

Actually since having my son I haven't worked much. That has contributed (on top of the recession) to our financial struggles. Funny, on this board I am villified for having financial troubles and NOT getting 3 or 4 jobs in order to get out of it (finanical trouble with health insurance ,etc.).

I agree.. kids have gotten pushed into daycare and parents have lost ah old on parenting their own children. There needs to be more balance. What I'm actually saying is that we are at a point now where doing so becomes impossible.. OR you are going to struggle financially and not have the security our parents once had when only one spouse was the bread winner. Now, in order for a couple to survive only one parent working, the one parent better be a high earner (no more blue collar workers able to sustain middle class status).

I was somewhat fortunate in that I had the ability to stay home.. actually I had no choice because in my case working outside of the home would have cost me more because daycare was/is so expensive. Most of the women I know that ARE working outside the home are relying on family and friends to care for children while they do it. For me, I had no family nearby and I would have been working just to pay for daycare (at least where I used to live). I'd get better fulfillment spending that time with my child. That being said, after i had him he was all I could or wanted to focus on adn I couldnt' imagine having to be away from him for 8 hours a day while working in an office. I would have been a terrible employee because I wouldn't have wanted to be there and all I would have been able to think about was my baby at home. I don't know how women do it.

I think, with exception to woman that have a solid "career" and not just a "job", that most would choose to stay home with their child if it was financially feasible.
I agree. 2 jobs has become more of a necessity than a choice in most cases. I think the reference to people needing 2 cars isnt for luxury but if you have a family that NEEDS 2 jobs, they also need 2 cars. Its not like a couple owns 2 cars so one can work, while the other uses their car to take road trips and visit friends. They are using the other car to get to where they have to work.

Its true that some people will overextend themselves with useless luxuries and sacrifice family time for cash and material goods, but I think more people are forced into a dual income situation and would readily change that lifestyle if it was possible.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

There is no establishment of a particular religion but it's very clear "we are a religious nation."

Our Founding Fathers on Religion

[SIZE=+1]Thomas Jefferson[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]"But the greatest of all reformers of the depraved religion of his own country, was Jesus of Nazareth. Abstracting what is really his from the rubbish in which it is buried, easily distinguished by its lustre from the dross of his biographers, and as separable from that as the diamond from the dunghill, we have the outlines of a system of the most sublime morality which has ever fallen from the lips of man.Moderator cut: COPYRIGHT VIOLATION - post first couple of sentences and link only
Founding Father Quotes on Religion

I think it is very clear that religion is used to control people.........

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-28-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
I agree. 2 jobs has become more of a necessity than a choice in most cases. I think the reference to people needing 2 cars isnt for luxury but if you have a family that NEEDS 2 jobs, they also need 2 cars. Its not like a couple owns 2 cars so one can work, while the other uses their car to take road trips and visit friends. They are using the other car to get to where they have to work.

Its true that some people will overextend themselves with useless luxuries and sacrifice family time for cash and material goods, but I think more people are forced into a dual income situation and would readily change that lifestyle if it was possible.

By no means does everyone fit this bill but I do see a decent number of people who leave their child at daycare so they can work but they still have 2 car payments, shop at abercrombie, spend alot on unnecessary items etc.

I guess in general I feel there is a general decline in the way many people care for their children and it is more important that they have the money to buy them stuff than have time to be with them if you know what I mean. Again not all but a decent number of people.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 PM

112 posts, read 130,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
By no means does everyone fit this bill but I do see a decent number of people who leave their child at daycare so they can work but they still have 2 car payments, shop at abercrombie, spend alot on unnecessary items etc.

I guess in general I feel there is a general decline in the way many people care for their children and it is more important that they have the money to buy them stuff than have time to be with them if you know what I mean. Again not all but a decent number of people.
Yes I agree, kids appreciate your time more than any gifts you can bring home... even if they don't know it 100% when they are younger. They are likely to grow up and look back with resentment when they realize that you basically bought them off.

Geez if we dont find anything to argue about, how can we keep the thread going? lol

Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I don't get my political beliefs from some dead commie millionaire with a bad haircut.

Also, religion is only one ill of man-kind. I would rank communism, racism, and the fundamental human urge to destroy those who do not agree with you as far more insidious in recent times.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this House, and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.
State Dining Room - White House Museum

I'm using the Supreme Court and facts you're using opinions, in totality, from some obscure website...

Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick
I think it is very clear that religion is used to control people.........
Organick, I think you need to step back a little. To say we are a 'religious nation' does NOT automatically equate to 'Christian nation'. And posting pages and pages of info about and quotes from the founding fathers makes it even less likely that anyone is going to bother reading it. Post the link - if I want to read what is there, I'll go to the web page.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
According to the 1990 Census it was 86%, but it decreased to 76% in 2008.

It seems like younger Americans are increasingly rebelling against religion.
It has been lost for a long time. Take a drive down the road and look at the multimillion dollar churches loaded with huge plasma screens, expensive orchestra's, lavish stonework/fountains/glasswork, then just 10 miles away there are people sleeping under bridges with no warm place to stay or any idea how they are going to find their next meal.

Yep, Christianity was lost a long time ago.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
Yes I agree, kids appreciate your time more than any gifts you can bring home... even if they don't know it 100% when they are younger. They are likely to grow up and look back with resentment when they realize that you basically bought them off.

Geez if we dont find anything to argue about, how can we keep the thread going? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies