Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Such is what happens in developed societies.

It just means America is growing up, slowly but surely.
And it's about time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't believe in your god thing so your "commandments" mean nothing to me.
Fine for you to believe them if you must, but don't push them on me.
He's not. He's just trying to get you to understand that religion serves an important function for society as a whole and to encourage you to drop your hostility toward it. After all, liberals do believe in tolerance and freedom. Don't they?

It will never happen that abortion will be outlawed in America, as long as the constitution is in effect. Even if Roe vs. Wade is overturned, the issue will go back to the individual states which is where it was prior to that decision.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I do not think America is in danger of losing Christianity at all.

It is the majority and always will be the majority religion. It goes down families and such and many will not change their religion.

It is a family thing.
I come from Catholics on both sides, and both my siblings and I all either became agnostic or atheist.

If you are so oppressively pressured by your family to follow their religion, and can't make up your own mind, then there is a very grave problem.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
He's not. He's just trying to get you to understand that religion serves an important function for society as a whole and to encourage you to drop your hostility toward it. After all, liberals do believe in tolerance and freedom. Don't they?

It will never happen that abortion will be outlawed in America, as long as the constitution is in effect. Even if Roe vs. Wade is overturned, the issue will go back to the individual states which is where it was prior to that decision.
This lady is hostile towards religion, anti-feminists, misogynists, basically anyone who's the opposite of her.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
This lady is hostile towards religion, anti-feminists, misogynists, basically anyone who's the opposite of her.
I've noticed that.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't believe in your god thing so your "commandments" mean nothing to me.
Fine for you to believe them if you must, but don't push them on me.
And of course no one is forcing you to believe in something you don't want to.

The fact is though, that 100's of Millions of people, all over the World, DO BELIEVE in a "God Thing" (that is so funny the way you put it) - and they DO WORSHIP their God.

So, I would say to you, Don't try to push YOUR non belief on them.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Keep the politicial legislation off the pulpit too! The recent "hate crimes" legislation attached to recently passed funding bill threatens ministers with jail who fail to actually read certain parts of the bible, which denounce sodomy and homosexuality, to their congregations.
That is paranoid stupidity; it did and does no such thing.

Of course, if a (tax-exempt!) church actually does incite hatred, as opposed to reading the Bible, they ought to be as accountable as anyone else.

Quote:
The Constitution affirms our right to freedom of religion and not freedom from it.
Whatever the Constitution does or doesn't say, a society that does not have both freedom of religion and freedom from religion is not a free society.

The French phrased it better than we did; rather than establishment and free exercise, they established as their standard "universal liberty of conscience."

Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The French phrased it better than we did; rather than establishment and free exercise, they established as their standard "universal liberty of conscience."
Would you then be happier living in France?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
One, the radical, polygamist Mormon sects are not Christians. They pose as Christians as an excuse to take on multiple wives; in other words, that's their defense. And I don't think we should be a Muslim country like Iran. We should just focus more on Christian values, and quit pushing our country more toward the Sodom and Gomorrah route.

Two, wow, I wish I could be that cold and callous half the time. You almost sound like you would like to ask your female friends to have abortions just so that you wouldn't have to think about babysitting their kids, because you would probably end up killing them, because, as you say, they are but mere objects, as a car or a television set could be considered.

Three, no, we don't get to choose where every penny of our tax dollars goes. That's why the debate is so fierce. I don't pay for murder; I don't pay for lazy, unemployed people to sit on their a**es watching cable television; I don't pay for illegal aliens and the unemployed to get healthcare that they're too lazy to work for. That's why I'm glad I don't pay taxes yet. I won't pay for the liberal agenda.

AND one more thing, I'm not closed minded just because I'm not a "progressive liberal atheist".
Ah, right...the 'They're not *true* Christians' argument. That doesn't fly with me. There are over 30,000 different sects of Christianity and the good AS WELL AS the bad are still considered Christians in most people's books.

Christian 'values' are no different than most Atheists values. Except I've noticed there's a lot more acceptance with the non-religious than there are with most religious people.

Quote:
Two, wow, I wish I could be that cold and callous half the time. You almost sound like you would like to ask your female friends to have abortions just so that you wouldn't have to think about babysitting their kids, because you would probably end up killing them, because, as you say, they are but mere objects, as a car or a television set could be considered.
I believe this is called 'putting words in someones mouth'. You may consider me cold and callous, but realities a *****, ain't it? I also never called children 'material objects', I just don't put them on a pedestal like many people do. I do babysit for friends, by the way, as I'm of the age where many of my friends are pregnant or having children for the first time. I just don't want any of my own, nor do I think forcing women to have them is the right thing to do.

You sound very young and naive regarding taxes...since you don't pay any I'm assuming you're living under your parents roof? I had to pay taxes which went to Bush's Faith Based Initiatives... I'm also assuming you're on your parents health insurance? You have a lot of growing up to do.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
The only danger is when you force someone to believe in a religion. People have free will. If there is a decline in Christianity in the US, maybe Christian churches should evaluate what they are preaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies