Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Obama to 'finish job' in Afghanistan

US President Barack Obama has said it is his intention to "finish the job" in Afghanistan after eight years of conflict there.
Mr Obama said he would announce a long-awaited decision over sending more troops to Afghanistan "shortly".

Some US media reports have suggested that the US president is intending to send 34,000 more troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

US President Barack Obama has said it is his intention to "finish the job" in Afghanistan after eight years of conflict there.
Mr Obama said he would announce a long-awaited decision over sending more troops to Afghanistan "shortly".

Some US media reports have suggested that the US president is intending to send 34,000 more troops.

My prediction:

Obama sends in the troops, sees what the situation looks like in 6-10 months, and then declares victory and announces bringing the boys home before next year's election.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:

Finn, in reading that article I saw nothing but an attempt to continue the blame Bush for it all, even the 4 months of dithering. The BBC talks very authoritatively considering that he is waiting until next week to make his announcement.

Oh well now we know from the UK just what our man is going to do.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Finn, in reading that article I saw nothing but an attempt to continue the blame Bush for it all, even the 4 months of dithering. The BBC talks very authoritatively considering that he is waiting until next week to make his announcement.

The article does not mention Bush at all, so I guess you insist on playing the "Bush the victim" game.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:

And if you listened to Obama's comments to the press this morning, he again pulled the blame game "for 8 years.....' gets real old. 1 year into his term and he's still pointing fingers like a 14 year old.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
And if you listened to Obama's comments to the press this morning, he again pulled the blame game "for 8 years.....' gets real old. 1 year into his term and he's still pointing fingers like a 14 year old.
Do you have somethig against people talking about what has happened in Afghanistan in the past eight years? Are you allergic to facts or something?

Yes, we have been kicking camel-shait there for eight years and the situations hasn't improved. Why is it wrong to admit past mistakes?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Do you have somethig against people talking about what has happened in Afghanistan in the past eight years? Are you allergic to facts or something?

Yes, we have been kicking camel-shait there for eight years and the situations hasn't improved. Why is it wrong to admit past mistakes?
Finn, Fox through the mouth of Shepherd Smith is reporting that Robert Gibbs told a different story this morning at the press conference. Gibbs says that Obama now has enough info to make a decision and that he will release his decision next week. Maybe he will have time to read what BBC says he is going to do. You think.

If you are wondering, Fox did play a sound bite of Gibbs saying that.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
My prediction:

Obama sends in the troops, sees what the situation looks like in 6-10 months, and then declares victory and announces bringing the boys home before next year's election.
Isn't that what Bush did with Iraq?

"The surge WORKED!!!!!"

I guess it depends who in Iraq you ask, right?

But yeah, I wouldn't doubt that this is about how it will go...

Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Finn, in reading that article I saw nothing but an attempt to continue the blame Bush for it all, even the 4 months of dithering.
The word Bush doesn't appear once in the article. Are you sure you read it? I saw nothing blaming anyone, much less Bush.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
"After eight years, some of those years in which we did not have, I think, either the resources or the strategy to get the job done, it is my intention to finish the job."

I see no blame in that statement. Do you? It seems like either you're grasping at straws or you have a guilty conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies