Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel guilty for being white
Yes, we've always historically been the opressor in society at the minorities expense 20 10.58%
No, my race has no bearing on societal ills 159 84.13%
A little bit 10 5.29%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,626,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post

3. A poll asked in such a manner CAN EASILY BE SHIFTED OR CORRUPTED because, again, it is asked on a public internet forum. Handle 1 + handle 2 + Handle 3 = 3 votes by the same person.

Should we blame ACORN for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,626,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
If you would read my post I said that I wasn't talking about just slavery, I am talking about what us white people still do to this day, to keep the black man down. We still continue to stereotype them, we still profile them, we keep them from better jobs etc... That is stuff the we do to this day, so it is stuff we have control over.

Well if the majority of them didn't live up to those stereotypes, then maybe people wouldn't still stereotype them.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
The only thing this poll proves is

1. Apparently white people (here) are bad at grammar

2. A poll can easily be made to give results that a person wants to hear.

3. There are multiple handles for few individuals on citydata
I learned that in Stats101. There are lies, damn lies and stats.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
15 people voted "yes" on having white guilt????

No, I do not feel guilty ONE DAMN BIT for being a white girl. The only thing that invokes guilt within is if I personally did something that warrants regret. Besides, being a first-generation American, blaming "my ancestors" for past US ills doesn't work on me. My ancestors didn't escape the hell of the former Soviet Republics so they could be blamed for the past issues of this nation here, simply because of what they look like.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
No guilt here. Maybe that is because none of my family or ancestors have done anything to people of other races simply because of their race. Heck we were not even here during slavery and none that I know of have ever treated people of other races good or bad based on their race, must be because we understand that it has nothing to do with whether a person is good or bad. People are what they want to be, or they would change it, race is something you are simply born with. FYI, the "white guilt" thing the right likes to point out is very rare, the reality is few whites I know feel any guilt of slavery or the mistreatment of other races. The reason is because we have not done it ourselves and rational people do not feel guilt over the bad actions of others, it is not logical thinking.
Casper

Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
You know, if you cannot understand responsibility for something your race did, then I really don't have the time to explain it to you. If you are a white person, it is indeed your responsibility to try to right the horrific wrongs of your parents, grandparents, your great grandparents, etc. WHO DO YOU THINK CREATED THE JIM CROWE LAWS? Your grandparents and your great grandparents' generation.
So to follow this thinking, that we are all responsible to right the wrongs committed by our ancestors, are you going to hold the Africans who were capturing and selling each other to the slave traders, or is it just white Americans that need to feel such guilt?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
What's the point of a poll when you narrow down the choices to having to agree with the qualifier in order to answer ?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM

54 posts, read 62,703 times
Why should i feel guilty for being white?

Everything that we have today is because of the West.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:13 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
No, I don't feel guilty for being ...

white

male

straight

happily married

a father

a federal retiree

a pet owner (or rather, owned by pets!)

a hybrid owner

As I sit here typing this, I can't think of a single thing I feel guilty about.

And no, that doesn't make me feel guilty, either.

(I didn't answer the poll. Had the choices been simply Yes or No, I would have voted No.)

Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 AM

815 posts, read 2,135,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethrowpie View Post
Liberal insanity. Blacks were sold into slavery in Africa by other blacks. Since that's the case, shouldn't blacks 'feel guilty'?

But you do realize that the form of slavery that the Africans had in mind was a whole lot different than what the Europeans had in mind. Slavery in Africa was basically indentured servitude, a tribe would be conquered by a rival tribe in a war, then the loser would be enslaved yes, but after a period of years they were given the choice to go back to their home land or assimilate into their captors culture. And quite often the slaves chose to assimilate as the African climate made long trips over land quite difficult. They didn't need them to be enslaved for life, I mean its not like the Africans of that time were in the business of empire building such as the Europeans were. The whole European ideology of lifetime bondage where even your children will be enslaved was a foreign concept to the Africans. If the African tribes actually knew what was in store for slaves on the other side of the Middle Passage, they wouldn't have even done that to their worst enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies