Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/...remism.report/
Racism, hate crimes and discrimination on all levels are on the rise. Statistically,
Of course, the "hate crime" rate is going up. What do you expect when the police are under the pressure of Political Correctness to consider that any crime committed against one of the many "protected minorities" in this country is likely to have some component of "hate" in it, especially if it was committed by a white person, regardless of the true motivation? And by the same token, crimes committed by minorities against white people because they are white, are rarely given such consideration.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Of course, the "hate crime" rate is going up. What do you expect when the police are under the pressure of Political Correctness to consider that any crime committed against one of the many "protected minorities" in this country is likely to have some component of "hate" in it, especially if it was committed by a white person, regardless of the true motivation? And by the same token, crimes committed by minorities against white people because they are white, are rarely given such consideration.
Police arent who determine whats a hate crime. Nice try. The decision of what to charge a person arrested with is determined by the prosecutor, who are NOT bound by PC and usually are conservative Republicans.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Police arent who determine whats a hate crime. Nice try. The decision of what to charge a person arrested with is determined by the prosecutor, who are NOT bound by PC and usually are conservative Republicans.
Also a "nice try".

Ignorant at best. Disingenuous at worst.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Also a "nice try".
Well, thank you.

The point stands. The data is determined not simply by arrest, but by arrest/charge and active occurrence that did not result in arrest (they didnt catch the person responsible).

Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Racism, hate crimes and discrimination on all levels are on the rise. Statistically, if you are a black, hispanic, jewish or muslim person in America, you are MORE LIKELY (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2008/offenders.html - broken link) to be violently victimized (because of your ethnicity/race/religion) by a white person than a white person is to be victimized by you. Yet, this board and several others are filled with 'angry whites' claiming how dangerous the 'immigrants, terrorists, and blacks' are and how threatened they are.

Even in the face of such statistics, they seem to be willing to ignore the proof to maintain their prejudices. What does this mean? If you are not white, do you feel threatened? If you are white and feel this way, why do you not feel the statistics are relevant? If you are white and do not feel this way, what do you think overall?
It seems to me that the classification of a crime as a hate crime is a subjective judgement. I've seen many crimes perpetrated by one race against another that were not classified as hate crimes. The fact of the matter is that a crime perpetrated by a white person against any minority is much more likely to be classified as a hate crime than a crime perpetrated by any minority against a white person.

Let's check Table 3 to see what races perpetrate crime where the offender's race is known. If we look at violent crimes such as forcible rape, aggravated and simple assault, intimidation and robbery we see 2983 total crimes. Of these 2983 total crimes, 682 or 23% were perpetrated by blacks. Blacks are 12.5% of the population. Blacks commit these crime at a rate of twice what their numbers in the population would suggest should be the case. By comparison, whites commited 57% of these crimes but are in excess of 70% of the population. Whites commit these crimes at a rate less than what thier numbers in the population would suggest should be the case.

So when you say that if you are black and you are the victim of a hate crime the perpetrator is more likely to be white I would agree. But if you are trying to intimate that if you are black you are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime perpetrated by a white I would have to strongly disagree and it would appear as though the statistics back me up on that.

If you are black you will have a significantly better chance of being the victim of a violent crime perpetrated by another black than by any other race.

- Reel

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
It seems to me that the classification of a crime as a hate crime is a subjective judgement.
Ill stop you right there because your entire post was based on that assumption.

IF you think the classifications for hate crimes are ill advised, mind showing proof of subjectivity?

1. A hate crime is not simply any crime with two different races, its a crime committed with race as a partial or full motive.

2. In this chart, the data was compiled not by law enforcement, but by the FBI, DOJ and (primarily) prosecutors. Its the prosecutors who determine whether to charge someone with a hate crime, not the cop on the spot. The cop does the arresting, but the data focuses on charges.

For those crimes in which the perp was not caught, its determined by the FBI, and its a fairly obvious standard. If a cross is burned in an interracial families yard, yea its OBVIOUSLY race based. If a black kid and a white kid get into a fight at the mall, unless either of them yelled a slur and stated they were going to attack the other for their race, its not a hate crime.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:46 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Lightbulb Statistically, Anti-black/brown Racism, Hate Crimes and Discrimination are Skyrocketing. Do you disagree with the stats?

No, the knuckle-draggers have been activated.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/skoro52/teabaggers-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Ill stop you right there because your entire post was based on that assumption.

IF you think the classifications for hate crimes are ill advised, mind showing proof of subjectivity?

1. A hate crime is not simply any crime with two different races, its a crime committed with race as a partial or full motive.

2. In this chart, the data was compiled not by law enforcement, but by the FBI, DOJ and (primarily) prosecutors. Its the prosecutors who determine whether to charge someone with a hate crime, not the cop on the spot. The cop does the arresting, but the data focuses on charges.

For those crimes in which the perp was not caught, its determined by the FBI, and its a fairly obvious standard. If a cross is burned in an interracial families yard, yea its OBVIOUSLY race based. If a black kid and a white kid get into a fight at the mall, unless either of them yelled a slur and stated they were going to attack the other for their race, its not a hate crime.
Tindo, I'm sorry but it seems as though you cannot read anything and come away with an understanding of what was said. No, the subjective nature of hate crimes classifications was not the basis for my point.

My point is that blacks commit crimes at a greater rate than their numbers in the population would suggest should be the case. Your OP seems to suggest that blacks are victimized by whites in numbers that might suggest some kind of epidemic. Then you ask if blacks should now be afraid of whites. The fact of the matter is that blacks are much more likely to be the victims of violent crime committed by other blacks than any other race. Of course most of those would not be hate crimes. That, my friend, is my point.

- Reel

Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Tindo, I know you are only talking about hate crimes which are a small number of all crimes. I'm just saying that your OP came off looking like you felt that there was some kind of crime epidemic directed toward minorities by whites. Hate crimes are on the rise for a lot of reasons but all crimes committed by blacks against anyone else is still a much bigger problem than the rise in hate crimes.

- Reel

Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Seems ridiculous to me when you see who's committing the crime in the usa.

Table 43 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_43.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies