Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

Let's see, a WW2 Vet (and I do respect Vets) would be at minimum 82 years old (1945 at 18 years old to 2009)...most 60 year old's are terrified of computers and anything that is newer then 1990, let alone 22 years their senior. Hell, my grandparents are a year older then that and are terrified of AOL. Not that all are, but a minority in my experience (considering I have to teach many).

As much as I respect vets, just because they are old enough to survive WW2 doesn't make them Harvard graduates or qualify them any more to talk about politics then anyone else. Considering most senior citizens kind of opted out of mainstream society when they retired, are they really qualified to start debating current events? There is more to life then getting the crap scared out of you when you are 18 in what happened at least 64 years ago, let alone staying in touch with complex events over that time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
lets just say they know how to live without computers or harvard degrees.they been there done that. most young peopll today could not last a day without thier electronics and not two without thier access to bottled water and fast food.i appreciate all i have learned from the old timers.being self sufficient is a good feeling.living on the gov sux. happy to be where i am

Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Grandpa has a point. The Obama administration should listen up. It isn't all Obama's fault. I seriously hate seeing finger pointing of one individual. It is the team that usually stinks, not just one individual.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well this Vietnam Veteran tells his WWII compatriot to get over it.
This one too

Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
This one too
Sorry, WW2 was a more important war than Vietnam, so his opinion counts more.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Amuse Myself View Post
It might have something to do with him serving his country, and having seen / learned from the past.

Ask yourself, whoms opinion would to you matter the most? A veteran that have seen it happen in person, knows what it's like and been through alot of things.

Or a fresh out of school 20 year old that just jumped into politics?

In MY opinion, i take the veterans opinion as more accurate. But in the end it's all about opinions, isn't it? Yours, mine, his, hers, their, and so on.
I respect vets. My father and mother were both vets. If they were alive today, they'd say, "respect the president", "give him time".

Of course I think a 20 yr old has a lot to learn. I am the parent of a 22 yr old who's not quite "there" yet. But that's not the comparison we were making, was it?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
personaly i could care less if you are a Vietnam Vet as you remind us all the time. this aint about you. I was drafted myself in 69 an never had the urge to mention it every time the subject came up. whats with you got a problem with WW11 vets speaking thier mind
In 7,742 post, I seriously doubt that in even 1% of those post do I mention my military service. However I will promise never to mention it again, if you promise never to question the patriotism of folks of a liberal persuasion.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 PM

900 posts, read 672,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
personaly i could care less if you are a Vietnam Vet as you remind us all the time. this aint about you. I was drafted myself in 69 an never had the urge to mention it every time the subject came up. whats with you got a problem with WW11 vets speaking thier mind
It seems a perfectly acceptable thing to say, given the OP.

Here's another one for you:

"Vietnam Vet tells President not to let the negative naysayers (AKA Republicans) get you down - says he's doing a great job!"

Hey President Obama, don't let the negative naysayers - the Republican - get you down. You're doing a great job!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 PM

900 posts, read 672,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In 7,742 post, I seriously doubt that in even 1% of those post do I mention my military service. However I will promise never to mention it again, if you promise never to question the patriotism of folks of a liberal persuasion.
Why is it those on the right are absolutely convinced that everybody who was ever in the military is a right wing nutjob who hates liberals and Democrats and especially the President?

Of course they also share the belief that everybody who doesn't agree with them is a traitor, so I guess it isn't surprising. I've always found that position especially silly, and generally indicative of little education.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
That was great, my favorite part is this:

"And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight"

He got Obama there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies