Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times

Advertisements

I am already boycotting BestBuy. Their atmosphere is warehouse-like and cold, their employees nasty and unhelpful. Also don't like the blaring noise pawned off as "music".

Here is a Naughty or Nice list for 2009 of those stores which do and do not use Christmas in advertising:

Naughty or Nice Christmas List 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I am already boycotting BestBuy. Their atmosphere is warehouse-like and cold, their employees nasty and unhelpful. Also don't like the blaring noise pawned off as "music".

Here is a Naughty or Nice list for 2009 of those stores which do and do not use Christmas in advertising:

Do people not not see how utterly REDICULOUS the idea of "using christmas" in advertising even is? Folks should be offended by those who DO "use christmas" this way. Hint: keyword is "use".

Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
I've always found the employees (here) to be pretty friendly, if not especially knowledgeable. But I agree on the noise. I usually don't spend much time inside the store because it's so loud. I'm not a fan of loud things.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
LOL, Festivus for the rest of us. For all the flakes out there---Happy Snow Flake Day.

By the way X means Christ in Greek so no that does not get away from it.

All the non-Christians are very happy there is a Christmas, that is when they make the most money. Hypocrite to say let's stop it. I don't care if they say happy any other holiday, just do not leave out Christians and Christmas. Not when they are the biggest customers.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL, Festivus for the rest of us. For all the flakes out there---Happy Snow Flake Day.

By the way X means Christ in Greek so no that does not get away from it.

All the non-Christians are very happy there is a Christmas, that is when they make the most money. Hypocrite to say let's stop it. I don't care if they say happy any other holiday, just do not leave out Christians and Christmas. Not when they are the biggest customers.

It's always been a dream of mine to exploit Christians for my own monetary gain.

....Uh oh, did I just say that out loud?

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh come on, you can't really think that the USA should/can remain a manufacturing economy? Please, knock some sense into yourself, wake up and smell the roses. The USA can no longer effectively compete as a manufacturer. Other countries do it faster, cheaper, and frankly better than we do. The USA has to move into other areas of commerce (like research, medical, and intellectual production) and leave behind our days of manufacturing. We just can't be competitive making 99c bags of toilet paper for Wal-Mart.

The sooner people like you realize that and stop whining about it, the better.
I agree, we let the manufacturing ship sail a long time ago.

But...
What do we do with people who are not capable of attaining higher education or using critical thinking skills?
Many people are not smart at all but could easily perform manufacturing tasks.

Not disagreeing with you, but wondering what to do with those who are not so smart... other than have them listen to right wing talk radio, that is.

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Do people not not see how utterly REDICULOUS the idea of "using christmas" in advertising even is? Folks should be offended by those who DO "use christmas" this way. Hint: keyword is "use".
Yeah, if it is indeed a religious holiday then using it in advertising seems like it would cheapen the entire idea of it. Let's all glorify the birth of Jesus by buying cheap crap that we'll probably throw away within 90 days!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
People who need Target; Best Buy; etc., to acknowledge their particular religious beliefs are exposing their insecurity and the weakness of their faith.

I don't need PRIVATE COMPANIES to hold my hand. My beliefs are solid regardless of what some faceless entity does.

Also, I don't believe things just because a radical sounding blog says so. I have a feeling there is more to this story, not to mention, the OP's own link says that Best Buy DOES use "Christmas" sporadically in their ads. So the claim that they don't acknowledge it at all is false in the first place. A bunch up hyped-up, propagandized half-truths. They're just not using it enough to satisfy some people. We don't get to dictate how often private companies say "Christmas" in some twisted bid to reaffirm our beliefs.
Quote:

Read the post above yours.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
For heaven's sake, wasn't November 20 National Clean Out Your Closet Day? I didn't see that mentioned in any of my local stores. It's time for the torch-bearing mobs to storm the castle!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, if it is indeed a religious holiday then using it in advertising seems like it would cheapen the entire idea of it. Let's all glorify the birth of Jesus by buying cheap crap that we'll probably throw away within 90 days!
Or sooner if it breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies