Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's good! Hopefully Best Buy won't be as packed if the Evangelicals flee to Wal-Mart. If this is all it takes to get rid of the good ole boys, i wish more stores pandered to Muslims. Maybe now the parking lot at Best Buy won't have raised trucks double parked.
I'm not a "good ole boy", I don't drive a truck, and I'm not an Evangelical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:28 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
Best Buy creates Internet buzz with Black Friday ad marking Muslim holiday | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20091124/BIZ/911240428/1001 - broken link)
Quote:
"We respect that diversity and choose to greet our customers and employees in ways that reflect their traditions," said spokeswoman Lisa Svac Hawks in a written statement to The Detroit News. "In addition to Happy Eid, you will see greetings of Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa and Feliz Navidad in various Best Buy communications during the holiday season."
It appears to be a new marketing strategy. Christmas comes later because of timing.

This should please everyone except those who want nothing BUT "Merry Christmas" printed or spoken during the holiday season. And those people don't count.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:31 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,445,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethrowpie View Post
No, using "happy holidays" then making an exception for the muslim holiday is what pisses people off. If you're going to use happy holidays, use it across the damn board. Pandering to muslims is exceptional bull****.
But you seem to be A-OK with them pandering to Christians. Interesting!

From the blog that the OP linked:

"They have since started using the word Christmas in some ads – but it’s very limited. "

So, they run what appears to be a one-time "Happy Eid al-Adha" greeting, the OP's link says that they do use "Christmas" in some ads, and, "...it’s been upgraded on the American Family Association’s list from anti-Christmas to merely “marginalizing” the Christian holiday."

I would bet dollars-to-dougnuts they end up printing the word Christmas more time than they do Eid al-Adha.

Much ado about nothing. Just another story spun to try and convince people that this silly "War on Christmas" is real. Why does the Right always come up with these "War on <insert current outrage>"? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Best Buy creates Internet buzz with Black Friday ad marking Muslim holiday | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20091124/BIZ/911240428/1001 - broken link)

It appears to be a new marketing strategy. Christmas comes later.

This should please everyone except those who want nothing BUT "Merry Christmas" printed or spoken during the holiday season. And those people don't count.
But... but... Black Friday is clearly a Christian holiday!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Apparently, based on the links, this thread is based on a lie.
Shocked, I tell you.
Absolutely shocked that xians would lie about something like this.

Okay, I'm not that surprised.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently, based on the links, this thread is based on a lie.
Shocked, I tell you.
Absolutely shocked that xians would lie about something like this.

Okay, I'm not that surprised.
The problem is that many people rely on internet blogs for their news and don't look for other sources to confirm anything. And finding other blogs or news articles that only repeat or refer to the original blog doesn't count.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm not a "good ole boy", I don't drive a truck, and I'm not an Evangelical.

identity crisis

Old 11-25-2009, 01:50 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,683,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
BOYCOTT ‘BEST BUY’ – They wish MUSLIMS “Happy EID” but won’t wish Christians “Merry Christmas” « Bare Naked Islam's Weblog
So as of 2006, their official policy has been to use Happy Holidays to be all inclusive and not use Merry Christmas. Guess that policy went out the window this year in their pandering to Muslims. Christmas is bad, except for all the sales money it brings retailers. But Muslim holidays are good. OK, this Christian is taking his money elsewhere this year cause Best Buy is off my list of stores to shop this holiday season. Instead of a jolly Santa, maybe they'll have someone dressed as a muslim suicide bomber to get people into the holiday spirit.
I didn't know Christmas was on the week of Nov 27 this year.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I didn't know Christmas was on the week of Nov 27 this year.
They own the Holiday Rights to last 3 months of the year, don'tcha know?!

It's funny. I was at Target two weeks before Halloween, and they already had Xmas decor out. Clearly, the WAR on Christmas is succeeding!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times
snopes.com: Best Buy Christmas Ban
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies