Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Thats what I plan to do next summer, I have never been a city kid, never will be either. Give me your hillbilly towns and redneck enclaves, I'll take small towns and countrysides in the south anyday.

Next summer I'll be visiting Civil War monuments, battlefields, and a few southern plantations! And I can guarantee you that I am 98.5% sure that I will love it!
I recommend starting at Vicksburg, after touring the battlefield, take a drive South on Hwy 61 to Baton Rouge. There are numerous plantations along the way. Be sure to stop in the town Grant said was to beautiful to burn. Add these to your list:

[SIZE=2]Louisiana[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Mississippi[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Of course you're an apologist. You believe that the South of Gone with the Wind actually existed. You deny the horror of slavery, the obscenity of the KKK and Jim Crow or you simply don't care about it.

Dixie can do nothing without the rest of the country propping it up.

I suggest you study the North tried slavery but could not make a profit due to the climate. Instead of freeing their slaves they sold them to the plantations in Virginia. The North realized they could make a bigger profit in the slave trade. They built rum factories in New England, built slave ships. New York city was built on the slave trade. After the importation of slaves was banned in 1807, the North continued the slave trade in South America and Cuba. The slave ships flew the Stars and Stripes, not the Stars and Bars.

More slaves died during the Middle Passage than on any Southern Plantation.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Make sure you ask to see the slave quarters. I'm 100% sure you'll love it.
Like these?
Slave Quarters at Ash Lawn-Highland pictures from us travel photos on webshots

Unfortunatly you can't see the slave quarters in NYC anymore, apartment buildings have been built where they once stood.

However, there IS the Lott House...

Brooklyn's Lott House Reveals Slave Quarters, IRED (http://www.ired.com/news/2001/0105/lott.htm - broken link)

Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Absolute revisionist southern fiction. However, the idea that southern blacks could exercise any independent judgement after 300 years of being treated no better than animals is even dumber.

Regarding the 'torturious conditions' their white compatriots suffered under, I have a one word response:

Andersonville.

“I liked being a slave, our white folks . . . were good to us. . . . I had rather be a slave. . . . . I wish I wuz still in slavery.”
Adam Smith (b. 1839)
Tate County, Mississippi

“I’s heard dat some white folks wuz mean to der nig8ers, but our Old Masta and Miss wasn’t.”
Minerva Evans (b. 1840s)

Harrison County, Mississippi
“My white folks was good to me. I had a heep better time when I growed up than folks does now. . . . Shucks I was a heep better off.”
Rube Montgomery (b. 1861?)
Choctaw County, Mississippi

The contrast between past and present was especially stark to Mandy Jones from Lyman, Mississippi, who, at the age of 80, still picked cotton to keep food on the table.

Not having “enough t’ eat or wear,” she looked forward to “my home in Heaven . . . I is lookin’ to Marse Jesus to keer for me.”

She also looked back to a slave childhood when, “after the white folks eat in the dining room, all us cullud folks eat in the kitchen, allus a plenty, which is more than we has now. Times was good then, I members back to it sometimes now, when I is glad jes’ to get a piece of bread. . . . Oh the sweet taters we did have! . . . great big winter cabbages. . . . [and] so many sides an’ hams of meat.”

"Us enjied good times tergether an’ didn’t hab to worry ’bout how us would make a livin’.”

Elizabeth Finley: “Our white folks wuz rich folks. Dey live in a big white house wid roun’ posts in front. Dey give us plenty to eat and wear but dey beat on us a plenty. . . . Den one day . . . dem Yankee mens tole us de guvment would give us some land and a mule or some hosses to work wid, but we never did git nothing from dem. We wuked hard for whut we got. We wuz mighty proud of our freedom – but times is a lot harder now dan it wuz in dem times. Now we can’t git ’nough to eat and dere’s nobody to look atter us, but de white folks whut takes pity on us, and heps us sometimes. Times is gittin’ harder it seems to me.”

Mississippi History Now | WPA Slave Narratives

Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
It depends where this bar is. In Newark, you're probably right. Kid, I've lived here all my life so don't think you know the lay of the land better than I do. There are liberals here and there are conservatives, blacks and whites, atheists and Christians. Different groups will obviously react differently.

I've been to quite a few Southern cities and the vibe is never super anti-tradition or pro-liberalism as it is in the Northeastern and West coast cities. Even in fairly moderate-liberal Florida.
What you experience in the Northeast or West Coast is what you will experience in the Southern cities. Walk around with a confederate flag just draws negative vibes. People drinking beer & before long some anger starts building. The confederate flag in public is considered provocation & generally the cops have to get involved real fast.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What you experience in the Northeast or West Coast is what you will experience in the Southern cities. Walk around with a confederate flag just draws negative vibes. People drinking beer & before long some anger starts building. The confederate flag in public is considered provocation & generally the cops have to get involved real fast.

Not in the deep south states.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
This is not true at all, especially in the Deep South.

Look at the SC state capitol!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:27 AM

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/2lu7ub8.gif (broken link)
Quote:

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Maybe you should visit before you move to the South esp if you support the confederates. In the large cities you would probably be ridiculed & maybe even get punched a few times. I'm not saying that you deserve to get punched but that could happen.
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Have you ever left Pasadena?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Have you ever left Pasadena?

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/flaggif.gif (broken link)

A battle flag. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies