Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
never mind.you will never get it
Nor will you.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Nor will you.
quit hitting yourself in the head you could cause brain damage

Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
quit hitting yourself in the head you could cause brain damage
Look in the mirror.
People who fly the conferderate flag aren't free? If not, what kind of freedoms do they want?

This is the flag of the United States. One flag, one nation United.
If you want your own nation, too bad, it's too late.
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Flag, your take?-us-flag.jpg  

Old 11-28-2009, 06:42 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
This is the flag of the United States. One flag, one nation United.
If you want your own nation, too bad, it's too late
GREAT sound byte! But that is all it is.

Now then? Ask yourself THIS one, before you get too dad -gum didactic? That is, WHY are there FIFTY STARS on the United States Flag? Why not just ONE solid star in the blue canton, to represent it all? Is that how would you prefer it? Fifty or One? That is to say, nothing different, no natural diversity, no nothing save some screwy sorta feel-good notion of all being "one"?

Or could it be there are really are 50 because there are 50 different states? EACH with its own character and particular history and diversified regions? What is wrong with that? UNIITED, but not uniform. Bonded, but not bland. And the Southern states have always been those which have been most traditionally patriotic.

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-28-2009 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Those who want to see "racism" and "treason" in the Confederate flag will always do so. Those who want to see "heritage" in the Confederate will always do so. The "heritage" folk are not going to cave in to the "racism/treason" crowd and will continue to view (and fly) the flag as an expression of "heritage". So, I guess the lesson here should be: Give it up "racism/treason" people. You are beating your heads against a brick wall if you think your views are going to change anything. KWIM?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Secession is Treason
Secessionist are Traitors
From the Declaration of Independence

"That these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved of all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."

The Articles of Confederation in 1781 did prohibit secession

“Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.” The Article also prohibited the secession of any member state (“the union shall be perpetual,” Article XIII) unless all of the states agreed to dissolve the Articles."

But 6 years later The Articles of Confederation were replaced with The U.S. Constitution which did not include a clause for a "Perpetual Union" nor any restriction on secession.

In 1814 The Federalist Party held a secession convention in New England.
There were also 2 other threats of seccession by New England.

After the Civil War, Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy, was arrested for treason. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court told President Johnson that if Davis was tried for treason that the U.S. would lose because there was nothing in the Constitution that forbids secession.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Last edited by Mike1306; 11-28-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 07:01 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
That's because they were pardoned.
Um, no. It was because it was not against the law.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
red white and blue announcement.
i jumped on somebody 3 times my size and got beat up.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:03 PM

216 posts, read 343,556 times
Well boys i kinda sat this one out no one said a thing about all those black or Jewish folks that fought for the South .

Hang on to them confederate dollars boys they going to be worth more than them Yankee ones soon

Went to a reenactment not long back there was some black fellows on the South side next time i'll ask them if they are a member of the sons of the Confederacy bet they are

Old 11-28-2009, 07:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Being born in Germany and raised in Texas, I have no problem with the confederate battle flag, someone actually gave me one and I still have it, I have never flown it, and never will. I did not read all the posts here so do not know if anyone has brought up the point that what most consider the Confederate flag is no such thing. The flag most refer to is actually one of several, but probably the main, battle flags, it was not the flag representing the Confederate States of America. That said, I also understand what it represents to many Americans, while it means many things to me it also represents something to others that has deep roots in inhumaity. As a fellow American and human I feel it is wrong when someone, no matter their pride in their people, displays something that is righly viewed as evil to my fellows, seems wrong and is wrong. IMHO
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies