Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Symbol of deep confusion and identity crisis.

The "good ol' boys" who love the stars and bars claim to be uberpatriots and "real Americans" while proudly displaying this icon of treason.
or people that understand that the flag don't mean racism, hate, slavery etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Flag, your take?-h-k-edgerton.jpg  

Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking Racism? WHAT racism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
or people that understand that the flag don't mean racism, hate, slavery etc...
You...

Talking about "understanding."

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2009 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times

Racist Croatian fans. That flag has gone international.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Coulter is simply wrong about that, but then what else is new. I know you in the South like to perpetuate the fiction that you've done all the fighting and the dying for America in it's wars. However, the rest of us proved on at least one occasion that we could win a war not only without you, but against you. You did not 'form the backbone' of those who defeated Hitler, any more than New England farmers or Midwestern city dwellers or Western loggers.
Stop ranting. Who is dis-respecting the northerners and westerners who fought to defeat the Axis powers? What is being said is that it has always been Southerners who served in disproportionate numbers in our nations armed forces. You can look that up yourself. No need to take Coulter's word...much less mine. The numbers are out there.

Quote:
The comparison of the Swastika and Rising Sun and the Confederate flag is perfectly appropriate.
Again, go back and read the differences...and come back and debate. But really, if you really feel that way, then nothing will dissuade you otherwise. I don't bother to even try.

Quote:
They all were representative of enemies of the United States. And all represented entities responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans (note: Americans, not rebels).
This has already been addressed. The blame for the war and the deaths that followed are the result of the northern states (operating under the name of United States by default only) to invade the Deep South (at that time, the Lower South...South Carolina thru Texas), and force them back into a union they no longer wanted to be part of.

The ONLY reason the Upper South states joined was they were forced into a choice of taking part in the said invasion, or siding with the North.

If that historical fact is inconvenient for you? Too bad.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You...

Talking about "understanding."
I'd be hard pressed to find the stupidiest photo/art-op to make a point, but this one comes close. Do you REALLY think this contrived piece of "work" represents the attitude of most Southerners when we display the Confederate Flag? Oh man....

I can just as easily show hate groups with the American Flag and Christian Cross. Would it count just as much?

This is pathetic...

Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I'd be hard pressed to find the stupidiest photo/art-op to make a point, but this one comes close. Do you REALLY think this contrived piece of "work" represents the attitude of most Southerners when we display the Confederate Flag? Oh man....

I can just as easily show hate groups with the American Flag and Christian Cross. Would it count just as much?

This is pathetic...
Why not just show them all at once?

This is from a Nazi rally in South Carolina.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/femichel/nazi6.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
If you would be pissed at someone flying a mexican flag or flying an african flag or whatever, then you should be just as pissed at someone flying this one. It doesn't show loyalty.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

And yet nobody brought up the "blatant racism" in any of these.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2009 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
There is NO secession clause in the constitution, nor was there ever. That is 200+ years of legal precedence, and not even the most extreme states-rightist judge has dared make such an assumption. Not even the most ardent of federalist has asserted such a claim that states had the right to secede and fire on the flag in moments of disagreement (let along on something as unethical and inhumane as slavery).

Were that the case, the nation would have fallen apart upon its conception.

I did not say you were condoning slavery at all, what I was saying is that the CONFEDERACY was condoning racial slavery and white supremacy, which is exactly what they were doing. There really is no getting around that.

They were slaver white supremacist, and there is nothing noble, respectable or ethical about that.
The Federalist Party held discussions of secession 3 times before 1816, they even held a convention to discuss it so I don't know how you came to the conclusion that you did on that point.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
No you would be assaulting me, not compromising my freedom of speech.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Notice the bold, doesn't say anything about me or you.
I guess you decided this to nitpick over even though it is really a minor point to the discussion at hand.

If one person stops another from speaking they effectively have compromised that persons right to free speech.

They need not be the person or persons that are lawfully bound to uphold the right of free speech to be the one stifling it.

Those here saying that a person should not be able to fly the flag are asking that a right be denied to those that wish to fly it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies