Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Yes, a comedy drenched in Confederate everything, but why didn't people in the 80's and 90's see it as racist then?
I think that makes more of a statement about the kind of folks who stayed home on Saturday nights in the 80's.

Quote:
And maybe it's the universal symbol of slavery to YOU, because you can't speak for everyone on earth.

I said it before and I will say it again, it depends who you are, where you are from and your PERCEPTION of it is, because it has no universal meaning.
You're trying very hard to avoid reality.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Hey, as long as you're comfortable with it, knock yourself out. Just stop trying to apologize, is all. It won't work. Everyone understands perfectly well what it is and what it represents. You included.
HAHAHAHAHAHA Good try, Wade. Won't work. And I think everyone sees thru it. Try not to loose any sleep over it all, ya heah? I know I won't. If you hate the Confederate Flag, then dont look at it and don't display it. Easy as that...if someone understands the simple concept of mind your own business and live and let live!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
I think that makes more of a statement about the kind of folks who stayed home on Saturday nights in the 80's.

You're trying very hard to avoid reality.
Naw, I just live in a special blend of reality to have the foresight and knowlege that many Americans don't know squat about history and just willingly have crap fed to them.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA Good try, Wade. Won't work. And I think everyone sees thru it. Try not to loose any sleep over it all, ya heah? I know I won't.

Say it loud, you're a "reb" (but not a racist) and you're proud.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Naw, I just live in a special blend of reality to have the foresight and knowlege that many Americans don't know squat about history and just willingly have crap fed to them.

Well, imagine that.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:31 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA Good try, Wade. Won't work. And I think everyone sees thru it. Try not to loose any sleep over it all, ya heah? I know I won't. If you hate the Confederate Flag, then dont look at it and don't display it. Easy as that...if someone understands the simple concept of mind your own business and live and let live!
Yeah, whatever happened to NOT having personal and very public crusades over things you don't like. lol

Whatever happened to looking the other way.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, whatever happened to NOT having personal and very public crusades over things you don't like. lol

Whatever happened to looking the other way.
Pearl Harbor...

Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
The pathos is all from your side of the "argument", Tex.

To try to defend the universally recognized symbol of racism as anything but what it is, is nothing less than laughable or pitiful depending on the perspective.
This one sentence covers the sentiment perfectly. Nide job, Wade.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Ok. I'm a REB...but not a racist. Hells belles, translate "Reb" as "Ureconstructed Southerner" if you want. To continue. A Texan and Southerner. And American. And A Native for many generations and proud of it, and apologize for nothing. Will that work? Gimme a megaphone and I will shout it louder.

In fact, what if I said I am a racist? (which I am not -- just ask the black kids I teach and have graduated and still come back to say hi to me -- just playing along with your silly-a$$ tiddly-winks game) What does that even mean and what the heck is your point? Is THAT sorta nonsense what you are trying to lead to? Grow up, kiddo.

Now then, say out loud: I have a pathological hatred for the South and admit it...

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-29-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
So am I . I have ancestors that fought on the side of the Confederacy , and some that owned slaves . I'm not apologizing for anything , as I had nothing to do with it .
Slavery ( in this country ) ended in 1865 . Nobody owes anybody an apology for something that happened before they were born . It's a part of American history , get over it . Racism exists in this country today because a certain group of people profit from it . Financially and politically . There are plenty of reasons why " they " don't want it to fade away into the history books .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies