Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Since your trucker then I’m sure you remember when those kids in NW Atlanta shot that bottle rocket into that guy's cab and he crashed the truck and ended up in a coma. Even if you were not a trucker it was all over the national news. And guess what drew those kids to mess with him in the first place?? Why the good ol' stars and bars!! I remember on the news how his dispacther had even told him if he was not going to take it off his truck then to avoid that particular exit where it happened all together. Having a few friends not far from Atlanta and actually in Atlanta is two different things. Like I said before, driving thru the neighborhood I grew up in waving the Confederate Flag is asking for trouble, seriously.
Link or it didn't happen.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That's what happens whenever the confederate flag is shown. It's like gasoline on fire and immediately causes a riot. The police almost always have to circle the confederates to protect them from the crowd. You never see anything like that where I live but there was an incident in Phoenix. The police have to order the confederates to leave for their own safety. If I were to ever see a confederate flag in public it could lead to a rumble, big time.
Again, link or it didn't happen.

I have been in parades with units of Confederates. I have assisted in memorial services for Confederates buried all over NY, Pennsylvania, and the Virginias where battle flag grave markers grace each grave marker and Confederate Flags fly high.

Never ONCE was there any animosity displayed in the least at any event.

One will also find Confederates and Flags at forts across GA as well. NO one says crap.

I have a strong suspicion you are talking about that Klan rally, not Confederates.

So, you'll either need to provide a link, or admit you are a liar.

(BTW, I wonder if Fort Pulaski ever turned that battle flag right side up I pointed out to them last year? It's to the right of the viewing room in the visitor's center, if any of our GA members live close, I'd appreciate it. ).

Old 12-07-2009, 04:19 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Again, link or it didn't happen.

I have been in parades with units of Confederates. I have assisted in memorial services for Confederates buried all over NY, Pennsylvania, and the Virginias where battle flag grave markers grace each grave marker and Confederate Flags fly high.

Never ONCE was there any animosity displayed in the least at any event.

One will also find Confederates and Flags at forts across GA as well. NO one says crap.

I have a strong suspicion you are talking about that Klan rally, not Confederates.

So, you'll either need to provide a link, or admit you are a liar.

(BTW, I wonder if Fort Pulaski ever turned that battle flag right side up I pointed out to them last year? It's to the right of the viewing room in the visitor's center, if any of our GA members live close, I'd appreciate it. ).
As a Boy Scout I used to go camping at Ft. Pulaski.

I've often had to point out to people that their lisence plate or bumper sticker upside down

Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
As a Boy Scout I used to go camping at Ft. Pulaski.

I've often had to point out to people that their lisence plate or bumper sticker upside down
Some people just don't know.

When I pointed my cane and told the ranger-dude at the visitors center, he asked me "how can you tell"?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Oh, BTW, a little tidbit for the juvies to shew on I keep forgetting to note.

Last Bastion of the Confederacy is not found in the south. It is found in Western New York.....

In 1861, in the small hamlet of Town Line in upstate New York, 125 voters met and voted 85 to 40 to secede from the Union and join the Confederate States of America. The reasons are unclear, but an article in The Buffalo News from 1945 cites discontent with President Lincoln, treatment of Confederate soldiers at a POW camp in Elmira, the interest of self rule or perhaps an incident by some runaway slaves at a local underground railroad stop. It was also reported that Town Line sent five men through the Union lines to fight for the Confederate States under General Robert E. Lee.
During the American Civil War, as casualties on both side increased and the nature of the Civil War changed, the secession was slowly forgotten by members of the community but never revoked.
During World War II, it was discovered that Town Line had not rejoined the Union, and on 26 January 1946, Town Line voted to officially join the Union. Even today, the local volunteer fire company has the words "Last of the Rebels" on their shoulder patch.

Town Line, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The teacher's desk, used to hold the referendums to both leave and then rejoin the union nearly a century later, as well as the ledger from 1946, can be seen at the Lancaster Historical Society.

And the Townline Fire Department has a crossed modern US and Southern Cross flags as their logo.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I live in the South. Have lived in the South almost all my life. And I'm sure I know what people down here mean by "Southern Pride." The fact is that many people who have good formal educations in the South are still into that "Southern Pride" thing.......it's generational.

I would never fly a Confederate flag because I also know what that means.

I would guess that guy from South Carolina who yelled "You lie" to the President has a good formal education and certainly understands what is meant by "Southern Pride" in the South.
*Taps foot*

What, pray tell, does it "mean" then? Hmm? Keep in mind that meanings can be different from person to person.

And that Representative is Joe Wilson. He is still quite popular in my area, and Ive little doubt it will stop people from voting for him.
What he did has nothing to do with "Southern pride", and if you mentioned him to try to embarass me, you're barking up the wrong tree, because I dont find his actions embarassing at all. Rather, I find them historically typical for politicians of my state, who have always been ornery.
Look up John C. Calhoun..he's my favorite.
Im one of those that will vote for him for telling the truth...but thats a debate for another forum.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
*Taps foot*

What, pray tell, does it "mean" then? Hmm? Keep in mind that meanings can be different from person to person.

And that Representative is Joe Wilson. He is still quite popular in my area, and Ive little doubt it will stop people from voting for him.
What he did has nothing to do with "Southern pride", and if you mentioned him to try to embarass me, you're barking up the wrong tree, because I dont find his actions embarassing at all. Rather, I find them historically typical for politicians of my state, who have always been ornery.
Look up John C. Calhoun..he's my favorite.
Im one of those that will vote for him for telling the truth...but thats a debate for another forum.
I think it's the "Oh he's a southerner, he's got to be racist" stuff that drives the libs and many non-southerner's to think that somehow the south is some sort of "fake friendly, fake Christian, fake hospitality, BS heritage", minority lynching hellhole even today.

Like I said, they want to be right and say "told you so" to support their idea that the south should stay the inferior part of the country.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Quote:
Oh, BTW, a little tidbit for the juvies to shew on I keep forgetting to note.

Last Bastion of the Confederacy is not found in the south. It is found in Western New York.....

In 1861, in the small hamlet of Town Line in upstate New York, 125 voters met and voted 85 to 40 to secede from the Union and join the Confederate States of America. The reasons are unclear, but an article in The Buffalo News from 1945 cites discontent with President Lincoln, treatment of Confederate soldiers at a POW camp in Elmira, the interest of self rule or perhaps an incident by some runaway slaves at a local underground railroad stop. It was also reported that Town Line sent five men through the Union lines to fight for the Confederate States under General Robert E. Lee.
During the American Civil War, as casualties on both side increased and the nature of the Civil War changed, the secession was slowly forgotten by members of the community but never revoked.
During World War II, it was discovered that Town Line had not rejoined the Union, and on 26 January 1946, Town Line voted to officially join the Union. Even today, the local volunteer fire company has the words "Last of the Rebels" on their shoulder patch.

Town Line, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The teacher's desk, used to hold the referendums to both leave and then rejoin the union nearly a century later, as well as the ledger from 1946, can be seen at the Lancaster Historical Society.

And the Townline Fire Department has a crossed modern US and Southern Cross flags as their logo.
Thank you for that.
I learned something new today

Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Thank you for that.
I learned something new today
It is but my humble duty in life. *bow*

Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
It is but my humble duty in life. *bow*

Show off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies