Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post

That really hurt....
Never been outside my small racist section of the South??
I am ex-Navy (your welcome, BTW) and raised a Navy-brat, so not only have I been all around this great country of ours, I've also been around the globe.

Why am I defending myself to a kid?
Moderator cut: no personal attacks you know that you'd never drive around with a confederate flag. There are neighborhoods near you that will take immediate offense to you. Just because you were in the Navy doesn't mean you can take care of yourself where I live.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-08-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Moderator cut: no personal attacks!because you know that you'd never drive around with a confederate flag. There are neighborhoods near you that will take immediate offense to you. Just because you were in the Navy doesn't mean you can take care of yourself where I live.
Phew! The reek of testosterone is really pungent on this thread.

The problem with this post is that it's just empty posturing. You're not going to meet any of the other posters, you're not going to take anyone down. The threat of physical violence on an internet forum is so ridiculous, it damages your credibility.

Whatever your feelings on the confederate flag, you should try to put together cogent, well-reasoned arguments to support your viewpoint. Trying to intimidate people anonymously is just silly.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-08-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,516 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: no personal attacks!because you know that you'd never drive around with a confederate flag. There are neighborhoods near you that will take immediate offense to you. Just because you were in the Navy doesn't mean you can take care of yourself where I live.
Drove my pickup truck with my Confederate flag front license plate, my Nobama and McCain bumper stickers all the way to DC, and around the city for a week. Never as much as a sideways glance. (actually had quite a few "thumbs-up" on the interstate to and from)

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-08-2009 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 8,035 times
Default Southern Facts

Okay let us go with some FACTUAL Southern history shall we? You know not the kind thats taught in today's schools. Here are the facts.

Fact #1. Lynching wasn't an everyday occurance. The Tuskegee Institutes official records list from 1882 until 1968 3,446 documented lynchings. I am going to be generous and say during this period there were more like 20,000 blacks lynched or murdered if that. Okay 20,000 people and this took place while the population was growing through the years. Lets just count a control population for 100 years of 10 million people about 5 million of which are male maybe less. The proportion number is VERY low compared to the population.

Fact#2. The South at it's most violent could not compete with the Street Gangs of today who kill about 6000 blacks maybe more every single year. We need to bury the past and get with the future. Go after the real murderers and not keep digging up dead ones.

Fact#3. Though the South banned interracial marriage biracial children were for many years more populous in the south by a WIDE margin than in the north where interracial marriage was legal. People don't understand the ideas of proximity and familiarity. Whites in the Deep South lived in close proximity to Blacks, many worked with them, or had them working for them. Compare this to whites in the North who would only for many years hire White Maids. Remember Gone with the Wind. Scarlett OHara is shocked at the Carpetbaggers wife because she said she would never let a black girl touch her baby because they are "unclean".

I am not excusing racism or hatred or oppression of any kind. People forget the judge who dissented in Plessy vs Ferguson was an Ex Southern Slaveholder from Kentucky named John Marshall Harlan who pleaded for a colorblind federal government in 1896. Ironically Harlan's family gave their namesake to Harlan County Kentucky (named after Maj Silas Harlan 1819) which was one of the most antiblack counties in the state of Kentucky where organized murder of black scab miners shipped in from the Deep South took place in the 1930s. Look it up.

Southerners usually fight amongst themselves worse than against any northerner. Examples would be Andrew Jackson vs John C Calhoun Andrew Jackson vs Henry Clay Zach Taylor threatening to lynch all secessionists and on and on.

One of the reasons (among many) why the Southern Aristocracy disliked Abe Lincoln was he was the South's worst nightmare. A man of the poor southern hillbilly/cracker class who achieved high office. Lincoln also was a big time repritrationist who believed nonwhites had no place in America the White Homeland

. Hinton Helper look it up was a Southerner who pleaded with poor white southerners to rise up against the aristocracy and end slavery for "racial reasons". Lyndon Johnson another Southerner was the one who imposed the Civil Rights Laws and even supported legalized interracial marriage.

That my friends is Southern History.

African-Americans Are 50% Of All Murder Victims « The Black Political Review

Lynching Statistics

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM

844 posts, read 1,279,944 times
If you dont think the confederate flag is a symbol of hate, go to Israel wearing a shirt with a Swastika. Tell them that "Its not out of hate, its out of respect to my German Heritage".

After the swift and brutal response you will deservedly receive, ask yourself "Is it really how I think that determines if something is a hate symbol, or how millions of others think?"

Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
If you dont think the confederate flag is a symbol of hate, go to Israel wearing a shirt with a Swastika. Tell them that "Its not out of hate, its out of respect to my German Heritage".

After the swift and brutal response you will deservedly receive, ask yourself "Is it really how I think that determines if something is a hate symbol, or how millions of others think?"
And take the American flag to Iran and wave it around at an anti-American rally? Is it really how millions of others think that matters how a symbol is viewed, or how the people in your immediate vicinity view a symbol? That's the point you're really making. And because how those Iranians who then burn your American flag and beat the h--- out of you aren't the only people who decide the meaning of a symbol, the same could be said of the Confederate flag. A flag that can be associated to slavery and racism, but can and is associated with other things as well.

As recently as the 1980's the flag was not automatically associated with racism (and the Dukes of Hazzard show demonstrated that). If the flag is increasingly identified with racism, is that because racism has increased substantially in the past two decades, or because a campaign against the Confederate flag has been waged to change perceptions of that flag? And why would such a campaign be waged? To what end?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Quote:
I think I could take you down, buddy. But you are all mouth anyway because you know that you'd never drive around with a confederate flag. There are neighborhoods near you that will take immediate offense to you. Just because you were in the Navy doesn't mean you can take care of yourself where I live.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,986 times
Ladies and gentlmen, I will reiterate...

If you want to give racists a boot in the groin, write your congress-critter.

The so-called "Confederate Flag" is the ONLY American hsitorical flag not to be protected by historical protection laws, the ONLY reason Klaners can use it in their rallies.

All three Confederate National Flags, all CSA regimental Flags, all CSA State Flags are protected against misuse and misreprsentation, all but the Southern Cross.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
NO personal attacks, discuss the topic, not other posters...
or the thread will be closed.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-08-2009, 04:52 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
NO personal attacks, discuss the topic, not other posters...
or the thread will be closed.
Thanks Katzen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies