Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 01:04 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Who would assault him? He's promoting a fiction that suits the Revisionist Historians well.
Sorry Angus, but you are on the side of the Revisionists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
In fact there were not 'many' free black men who fought for the confederacy. The Confederate Congress didn't authorize the enlistment of black troops until March of 1865, less than a month before the war ended.
In the words of one Southern newspaper, admitting that blacks could make good soldiers defeated the entire purpose of the war.

Race and the South, Part III: Refuting the Neo-Confederates | The Occidental Quarterly
There were over half a million free blacks in the south at the outbreak of hostilities.

Many blacks who fought to protect their homes had the dishonor of having "soldier" crossed out on regimental rolls by Union clerks, and "muleskinner", "teamster", "body servant" and other nonsense written in.

While there was indeed a prohibition concerning free blacks serving in all but the musician's corps until late int he war, CSA officers, who often disobeyed such demands, freely enlisted free blacks. Indeed, some estiamted 13,000 saw combat. Examples can be found from such sources as Union officers noting the, for them, outragious habit of blacks serving alongside whites, and Union army chaplins as well.

One should also note that there was no limit in ranks for black soldiers, and that they recieved the same pay as whites.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There are nuts in every race. Besides he looks too old to bother with & would probably fall over his own shoes if a black American confronted him for being a total idiot. You always use weird examples that aren't in any history book. Maybe you need to go to bed before your wife yells at you!
Speaking of bed, junior...

BTW, "confederate flag" isn't in any history books.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 AM

737 posts, read 1,176,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

No, it is not in the least period and end of story...as you (and you are not alone, unfortunately) seem to have a very abbreviated understanding of what secession entailed as involves a connection to the "United States".

The Southern states wished to disassociate themselves from a political connection with the northern states. NOT -- in the least -- from the ideals and principles of the Declaration of Independence and/or the Constitution. The latter represent the true "United States". That the northern states kept the name "United States" was by default only. Such had nothing to do with which side best represented the intentions of the Founding Fathers as concerns the larger concept of the "United States"

And BTW -- even the used of "United States" has to be placed into a proper context. Originally, it was referred to officially as "THESE United States"...indicating an emphasis of each states soveriengn and independent character. In many ways it was a "confederacy" in its own right...
Quote:
As has been mentioned before...what if the seceding Southern states had kept the title "United States" (which some wanted to do). Woud the same historical logic, apply? That is to say, what IF both were called United States...would one section have better rhetorical control over the other in these terms, and referring to one or the other as "another" nation"?
If the CSA decided to call themselves "The real United States no matter what!" it wouldn't of made a difference because they were the ones which left.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Quote:
We are on winter break right now & you sound like my old man. I know the difference between what is wrong and what is right. Being latino I also know prejudice. That's why I don't back down when someone tries to start something. You are out-numbered & wouldn't be near as brave on the street as you are on the internet.
You live in Pasadena not Compton.

You are starting to remind me of Jamie Kennedy in Malibu's Most Wanted.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Lets be clear...its not just a piece of cloth. Its a symbol of a rebelion attempt to dived this nation. not by the terms prescribed by lawful and accepted rules, but by Armed conflict. Millions of Americans died to keep this nation one.

It has nothing to do with southren pride. It symbolizes a stain on our National fabric...
From the Declaration of Independence

"That these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved of all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."

The Articles of Confederation in 1781 did prohibit secession

“Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.” The Article also prohibited the secession of any member state (“the union shall be perpetual,” Article XIII) unless all of the states agreed to dissolve the Articles."

But 6 years later The Articles of Confederation were replaced with The U.S. Constitution which did not include a clause for a "Perpetual Union" nor any restriction on secession.

In 1814 The Federalist Party held a secession convention in New England.
There were also 2 other threats of secession by New England.

After the Civil War, Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy, was arrested for treason. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court told President Johnson that if Davis was tried for treason that the U.S. would lose because there was nothing in the Constitution that forbids secession.

So to sum it up, the southern states secession was completely lawful and had they been allowed to leave as the Constitution allowed there would have been no conflict.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
There are nuts in every race. Besides he looks too old to bother with & would probably fall over his own shoes if a black American confronted him for being a total idiot. You always use weird examples that aren't in any history book. Maybe you need to go to bed before your wife yells at you!
That total idiot, as you call him, was once President of a chapter of the NAACP I believe.

Edit: Just saw that Axis had already included that in his post.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:15 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
The declaration is utterly irrelevant. Even then they knew slavery was a moral low ground for any nation. Most of the developed world was or had already ended the practice.

They arent going to come out and openly dedicate their 'resistance' to "their freedom and right to enslave murder and rape blacks" any more than the taliban would openly come out and dedicate its terrorism to "the right to murder, rape and virtually enslave women".
That is ludicrous.
You are going to completely discount what is clearly stated in the declaration and attempt to venture a guess as to their intentions?
Can you enlighten us on your qualifications in this department?

Old 12-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
My point Axis [of evil] is that like the swastika, the confederate flag is a symbol of hate & it would be perfectly right to destroy it. It I ever see a confederate flag I will probably tear it up before you can catch me!
That post is the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going, "Lalalalala....I can't hear you"

You've purposefully ignored anything that has been said to you and kept marching and beating your racist-drum.
Get your Che shirt out of the closet, don your beret, and go have a latte'.

Meanwhile, the adults are talking until I can figure out how the hell to put your ass on ignore.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
1. You need to correct your quotes.

2. If you are going to ignore academic and reputable sources, DONT EXPECT ANYONE TO TAKE ANY OF YOUR WILD EYED CLAIMS SERIOUSLY. You dont reply to factual history from the library of congress with some random blog, or some guy with a high school diplomas opinion-site on what he thinks happened.

3. Everything else you said is nothing more than your UNPROVEN UNCITABLE opinion. You have your right to it, but so do loch ness monster searchers and alien abductees...enjoy your unpopular, unfounded beliefs!
I must have missed these sources.
Can you link me back to your post or re-post the sources?
Seriously. I do like reading both sides.

BTW, to DC: If I could rep you daily I would. I really enjoy your well-thought out responses. I've noticed that hardly any of them ever get replied to in rebuttal.
Just wanted to let ya know they ARE being read!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
That post is the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going, "Lalalalala....I can't hear you"

Pretty much sums up his participation in the entire thread, not just that one post....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies