Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link. I don't know the motivations of either of the two main parties involved in the "protest"...but that Ole Miss officials would ban such a great blend of tunes is just beyond understanding.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
KKK Rally At Ole Miss: Klan Outnumbered By Protesters (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)

This will clear up the motivation questions. An exerpt from the story.

"The real story of the day was the students, faculty, staff and alumni who gathered peacefully and read the University's creed in unison repeatedly a few hundred feet from where the Klan had gathered. Organized by One Mississippi, a student group working towards greater social integration at Ole Miss, protesters wore shirts that said "TURN YOUR BACK ON HATE... (I live by the UM Creed)" and stickers with one simple word: "Unity." Before and after the rally, they talked to fans in town for the game about their message and plan to make their way through the 10-acre, park-like Grove, passing out copies of the UM creed to fans.

Today, the members of the real Ole Miss family were not afraid to show their faces. They were not afraid of the Klansmen. They stood with their backs to them. They stood together to say with one voice that Ole Miss "believe(s) in respect for the dignity of each person." They stood as the leaders of a new Mississippi, a Mississippi that her citizens and a nation can be proud of."

Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Ok, so they are cutting the song because of the LAST line in the song? "The south will rise again?", so instantly that means return to slavery and segregation? It could just mean "Hey we got knocked down once, now were going to brush ourselves off and get back up again!".

Or do people want the south to stay in their own perception that it is the inferior part of the country?

So, whoever is running the University wants to bury it's own history? And to think I wanted to go there for college once.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I think it has more to do with a few fans who were saying "The South will rise again" at the end of the song. That phrase is not part of the song and the University does not want to put forth the image that it advocates a return to segregation.

A quote from Chancellor Dan Jones. This is his first year at Ole Miss.

"Here at the University of Mississippi, there must be no doubt that this is a warm and welcoming place for all," Jones wrote in a letter to the Ole Miss community. "We cannot even appear to support those outside our community who advocate a revival of segregation. We cannot fail to respond."
I knew about "The South Will Rise Again" chant. But from what I heard, the officials wanted to replace it with "To Hell with LSU". Geez, which would be more "offensive" in terms of language? (I think some people just make a point to get "offended").

Anyway, I see not a thing in the world wrong with either the song or the chant. The South has risen again..and that includes the area of race-relations (which are better than any place in the nation). Do any of these PC cowards ever stop to think that the song "To Dixie with Love" (which blends Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic) and/or the chant may be expressing those very admirable sentiments?

What a pathetic position the powers at Ole Miss have taken...

Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It seems that the college officials don't want to offend who they percieve will be offended, which is kinda stupid because if it has been around for so long that means very few if any people were offended.

ugh, P.C. is so stupid.
Yeah, for gawds sake, lets -- as you said in a later post -- eliminate ANY reminders (no matter how innocuous) of our Southern heritage lest somebody, somewhere, somehow, might get "offended."

Old 11-27-2009, 01:31 PM

I know how you feel. You know more than I do because I have never directly seen southern culture in action or any real aspects of it around here in particular. I would really like to though.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
To most people the Rebel flag has no political symbolism but instead stands for a kind of low-rent, rowdy, anti middle class rebelliousness. Kind of like what hipsters would like to be if they weren't so self conscious and had physical courage.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
To most people the Rebel flag has no political symbolism but instead stands for a kind of low-rent, rowdy, anti middle class rebelliousness. Kind of like what hipsters would like to be if they weren't so self conscious and had physical courage.
True for some, probably even a minute few, but definately not for all.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Moderator cut: orphaned - the post you quoted and replied to was deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Moderator cut: flamming

I don't respect the flag, and if I see someone with one, I immediately know that the person is not enlightened at all, and should be quarantined.
No, people who seem to think they're "enlightened" and better than everyone else ought to be quarantined and given a big fat reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
They do. They also fly the and carry the flag while wearing a Klan suit. This is a open and shut issue. I live in confederacy ground zero and no one who flies that flag or has it on thier car believes in anything but racial intolerance period.
Glad you can read my mind and intentions so accurately. I happen to fly it because I am proud of my ancestors. I fly it because it is part of my home's history.

[quote=Steve-o;11787265]This is, has, and always will be the UNITED States of America. If you want to fly your state's flag, no prob! But flying a flag of a rogue, breakaway "nation" (CSA) shows disrespect to me, our forefathers, my country, and to an entire race of men who experienced unspeakable tragedies while being slaved away under that flag.[/quote]
As if the American flag hasnt represented those things and more for much longer. Not only that, but it has done/represents many of those things to SO many more races of people.
Lets see,Black folks, the Native Americans, the Chinese, Japanese, Korean.....those are at the top of my head that the US flag has persecuted, and as pointed out before, has done alot longer than the Confederate flag even existed.
Moderator cut: quote and reply, see comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The flag only represents "southern pride" for the ignorant.
I've seen the embarrassing flag a few times in NJ and NY. I've also seen it a lot in PA.
Then I guess a good bit of the population of the South is ignorant eh? (I wouldnt answer this part if I were you unless you want to open up a hornets nest)

Ive seen the Confederate flag in JAPAN! Yes, you read it right. It was on a Japanese man's shirt. Yes, I am sure of what it was. He didnt seem to think it embarrassing.

Last edited by Bo; 11-27-2009 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: I explained this edit in my DM.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:49 PM

449 posts, read 877,455 times
[quote=Colddiamond102;11799793]But what if that person just REALLY likes Skittles??

No, people who seem to think they're "enlightened" and better than everyone else ought to be quarantined and given a big fat reality check.

Glad you can read my mind and intentions so accurately. I happen to fly it because I am proud of my ancestors. I fly it because it is part of my home's history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This is, has, and always will be the UNITED States of America. If you want to fly your state's flag, no prob! But flying a flag of a rogue, breakaway "nation" (CSA) shows disrespect to me, our forefathers, my country, and to an entire race of men who experienced unspeakable tragedies while being slaved away under that flag.[/quote]
As if the American flag hasnt represented those things and more for much longer. Not only that, but it has done/represents many of those things to SO many more races of people.
Lets see,Black folks, the Native Americans, the Chinese, Japanese, Korean.....those are at the top of my head that the US flag has persecuted, and as pointed out before, has done alot longer than the Confederate flag even existed.

Im sure Arizona is happy you didnt move there too. See? Everybody's happy. You dont have to put up with their percieved "mentalities", and they dont have to put up with an uptight old bat.

Then I guess a good bit of the population of the South is ignorant eh? (I wouldnt answer this part if I were you unless you want to open up a hornets nest)

Ive seen the Confederate flag in JAPAN! Yes, you read it right. It was on a Japanese man's shirt. Yes, I am sure of what it was. He didnt seem to think it embarrassing.
Colddiamond: What are you going to do now, that because of gentrification, lots of New Yorkers are moving to the Triangle Area of North Carolina? Most likely changing it to another Palm Beach, Florida?

Moderator cut: orphaned If you saw the confederate flag in Japan, that is because they love cowboys' music...............

Last edited by Bo; 11-27-2009 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the portion of the other post this section replied to was deleted from the other post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies