Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times

Advertisements

I'm new here, but have been lurking for years now and finally decided to join. Anywho being a decendent of Robert E. Lee I always had a positive opinion of the south and Confederate flag. Now with alot of recent events (Ole Miss klan protest on the 21st) making the flag look as bad as it has in the past I just don't know what to think of it.

However seeing alot of hate towards both I just get stuck in mental ruts in what to think of it. And sometimes have trying periods that try to make sense of it all. Heck just a quick search on the web you can find the most vile and hateful things about the south and everything related.

I've never really been to the south before (unless you count East Texas) but I would really like to see it one day. But I have met countless people from there and I thought they were spectacular.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
I'm going to be moving back home shortly and you'll see a few of them in my rural Florida small town. I figure I'll go to the flea market, I've seen some pretty nice Confederate Flags there and get me one of those, and a Earnhardt Jr. flag and a FL Gator flag and swap em depending on if it's raceday or gameday or sometimes they race and play football on Saturday so I'll have to have 2 flags flying. No race or game, just the rebel flag.

It's purty and adds some color to the yard....looks good among the azaleas, magnolia tree and hibiscus.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I'm going to be moving back home shortly and you'll see a few of them in my rural Florida small town. I figure I'll go to the flea market, I've seen some pretty nice Confederate Flags there and get me one of those, and a Earnhardt Jr. flag and a FL Gator flag and swap em depending on if it's raceday or gameday or sometimes they race and play football on Saturday so I'll have to have 2 flags flying. No race or game, just the rebel flag.

It's purty and adds some color to the yard....looks good among the azaleas, magnolia tree and hibiscus.

My first reply! Howdy and thanks for the input xlabel!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
In my mind, it's just a piece of cloth, similar to the Union/U.S. flag, but it is what it symbolizes, and in 2009, the Confederate flag is one of the few powerful symbols of Southern identity left which still seems to bother and offend the effete liberals of the North. By that standard, it can only be a positive

Keep your culture and values, Southern America. Not everyone wants to become the next New York, Massachusetts, or California.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
There needs to be one flag in this country, not 2.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Can't say the flag ever really bothered me. Love it or hate it, it is undeniably a part of US history for sure.

I wouldn't consider flying it everywhere but that's an entirely different animal.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
My first reply! Howdy and thanks for the input xlabel!
Well, Howdy to you desert and welcome to CD.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Well, Howdy to you desert and welcome to CD.
And I am honored by the welcome, good sir.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There needs to be one flag in this country, not 2.
Right... we're supposedly United.
No thanks, I prefer the First Amendment.
If someone wants to fly/display the Confederate Flag, they have every right to do so.
The US Flag symbolizes both good and bad.
So does the Confederate Flag.
What's the difference.
The US flag used to symbolize slavery too, and lack of women's right to vote, etc etc.
It also represents a lot of positives.
Same with the Confederate flag.
Those that interpret the flag in a negative/positive way are simply communicating their own agenda.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
A lot of people think the Confederate flag stands for racism and nothing else, and those people are wrong. The Confederate Flag is just a Southern thing (although it seems popular in rural areas nationwide..perhaps the Confederate flag has evolved to show rural pride, since the Old South was rural). It doesn't mean you want the Confederacy to return. I think the Confederate flag just shows that you live a certain type of life. There was more to the Old South than just slavery, you know. If someone wants to fly a Confederate flag to show they have Southern pride, how is that any different from flying a state flag to show you have state pride?

There are bad people on both sides of the spectrum. The Northerners that are extremely opposed to the Confederate flag without even knowing the true meaning are no better than the Southerners that are still fighting the Civil War (not all Southerners are like that, and I don't let the few bad apples give a bad name to the rest of the Southerners).

Last edited by city_data91; 11-25-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies