Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:56 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

There are some, even in this thread, who feel they have all the answers. So you can see there will be predictable reactions......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:08 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
What do people favor here: argumentation or name-calling?
OK. Call me liberal all day long. It's deeper than the name calling. It's the {what have you been smoking today} it's the {didn't you finish grade school? or why don't you go back and finish grade school?}

Someone gets a suspension for several days who only has a rep of let's say 200, while a person who has 1,500 reps goes away clean, but still launched the personal attack in the first place.

Dopo is right, except this whole forum is a big melting pot of jokes. Almost nothing is factual, especially the posts and threads which bash President Obama.

Another person's opinion isn't respected by another person's opposing opinion, instead, it is attack the opposition.

Well, I gotta go choke down some turkey, have a happy Thanksgiving all.

I wished my user name were "clearly biased" or, I'm in this just for rep points

Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't feel like the extremists do represent my views. I represent my views. I don't like the name calling, nor do I like the posts that say, "all liberals think ...", "all liberals have no morals", etc.
But Kat, a prog is a prog. Do you favor that name from me to the one you used?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
OK, I hear that. I'm a progressive, but I think both sides do it. Given who I am, it bothers me more when people say, "those moron liberals," but if I'm honest, I have to admit that it is really just as bad when liberals say, "all these stupid conservatives," or whatever. Bad behavior and verbal bullying is bad all around. I think it is bad argumentative form in any case. So, given those premises, I'm not going to point out any particular individuals. That would be to engage in the behavior I am deploring. I'm just working off the assumption that most of us have felt attacked and misunderstood around here. The question is--when people call each other names, what do they think they are really accomplishing? Maybe they are just blowing off steam, and that is understandable. But if they are really trying to convince other people to consider another point of view, then why would they insult them? That strategy seems counterproductive to me, at best.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all C-D posters! Maybe that is one thing we can all agree on.
Same to you about Thanksgiving.

My reason for answering here is to say that I would just as soon have somebody call me a name, directly, as in one post that I just answered on another thread. In that one the writer said that Sarah Palin is a moron and that all of that support her are also morons. Now that cuts it down to me as the biggest supporter of her and I thought it was funny so tried to be humorous while doing some digging myself.

The rules here keep lots of the fool things out of people's posts. I can see some toning down while they write just as I do. I have seen lots worse places in this respect.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I noticed a substantial deterioration in the discussions as the last election cycle unfolded.

I saw a lot of internal party name calling between Obama and Clinton supporters. Likewise, in the Republican discussions I noticed a lot of name calling between the McCain/Romney supporters and those who tended to initially support Paul.

Once the candidates secured their nominations, it really took off. Seems like much of what happens today may be a bit of a carryover.

Honestly though, even if you read "respected" publications such as the NY Times or Washington Post, many of their regular columnist really name call too, just in a more "painted" manner.
I have only been here about 10 months, like Obama, but it seems that I missed a whole lot of fun by not being here earlier. I hope it gets as good next year, but then I don't know that we will be allowed to vote next year.

I see that we agree wholeheartedly about those two supposedly leaders of the media.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:55 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
It's all good. We get the whole spectrum of society on this board and everyone has a voice within reason. We are free to speak our mind and Sister Mary Catherene(moderators) is there with the 18" ruler to smack our fingers when we get out of line. There are racists, Anarchists, fascists and sometimes, just plain stupid. At the same time there are the curious, concerned, informed, committed, engaged, responsible, experienced and those who just want to be entertained. In the end we are all better people for the whole mix of ideas, convictions and postulations we all share with each other.

I guess we just need to try and be nice to each other. I know that there's a few posts I'd like to have back.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Someone gets a suspension for several days who only has a rep of let's say 200, while a person who has 1,500 reps goes away clean, but still launched the personal attack in the first place.

I never thought of the role reputation played. Anyone else have similar experiences.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
name calling is much better. then they will simply get kicked off CDF.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I think if you changed your "Location" then maybe people would not feel offended.
I think we are too old for such things. And I am not saying this to start a fight.

LMAO!!! Really so people are offended because I "dis" Obama? Oh well it is a joke and we are never to old for that.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:06 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
LMAO!!! Really so people are offended because I "dis" Obama? Oh well it is a joke and we are never to old for that.
Never too old to joke, or dis someone?haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies