Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,849 times

Advertisements

Cap and Trade Lovers "Park your Cars Permanently"

GovTrack H.R tax road use

US, UK Move Toward Per-Mile Driving Tax

We have lots of Oil.

USGS Release 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
My last home in Europe had solar panels on the roof for heating, which was no option but mandatory by the city for new build homes....with not much sun in the part we lived in, it really didn't make much of a difference and after living there for 1 yr. the builder had to change something since it was proven that some parts didn't work as they should...

It would make more sense to have something like that in parts of the world with a lot of sun...not just because the government wants to come up with things...

Old 11-26-2009, 12:37 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
when they offer incentives, I actually was encouraged to support cleaner living. For instance, my wife and I used to collect cans, bottles, plastic, etc... all the time to which we would each month or so (as they gathered up), take them in and return them for a nice little amount of cash for various spending.

Then my county decided to mandate recycling by simply making us take containers for the recycling and then charging each month for using them (regardless if we used them or not. We tried to refuse them, there was no option to do so).

My solution, I dump it in the trash and could care less about their stupid little movement.

Interesting how their own oppressive actions resulted in exactly the opposite of what they "claimed" this was to achieve. The fact is, I knew it was simply a power grab with an excuse to essentially place a backdoor tax on the people.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
when they offer incentives, I actually was encouraged to support cleaner living.
I started to go down the solar panel path. There were incentives (rebates) and I'd heard of net metering. Then I found out that the rebates weren't that great and many electric providers don't do net metering. Mine doesn't and has no plans to either (TXU).

So I gave up as well...if you want people to change then why not change as well so we can all live fairly.

I should spend 30K to get "some" electricity from solar yet the electric company will not buy back any extra I generate ?
I should spend 30K to put panels on my roof yet the incentive is paltry and the industry gets practically nothing from the government in the way of R&D, grants, etc ?

And they want us to go green and get off oil ????
Looks more and more like a big sham to get more taxes and a revenue stream for companies.

Oh I'm going to go green eventually all right but it's more to "stick it" to the gov't and corporations by not having to rely on them. As I byproduct though I'll leave a smaller footprint. And I have no doubt that business/government will find a way to tax the "non reliance" on them somehow

Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Cap and Trade Lovers "Park your Cars Permanently"
You already pay a tax per mile. The federal excise tax of 18.4 cents per gallon divided by whatever mpg you get. Then add in your state tax, and calculate again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
We have lots of Oil.
We have lots of oil if you're willing to pay $10 per gallon and up for the gasoline that is refined from it.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I'm going to go green eventually all right but it's more to "stick it" to the gov't and corporations by not having to rely on them. As I byproduct though I'll leave a smaller footprint. And I have no doubt that business/government will find a way to tax the "non reliance" on them somehow
My thoughts exactly. It is less a matter of "going green" and more a matter of being self-sufficient while being "off" the coming "smart grid".

I don't see how Cap & Tax has a chance of passage with the recent fraud behind global warning "science" uncovered.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:20 PM

216 posts, read 343,524 times
My thoughts exactly. It is less a matter of "going green" and more a matter of being self-sufficient while being "off" the coming "smart grid".

I don't see how Cap & Tax has a chance of passage with the recent fraud behind global warning "science" uncovered.

I can see how, these fools are below deck partying counting their bribes and put the autopilot on a long while back . Their brain is groggy the weather is foggy and the iceberg is dead ahead Power drunk too

Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Cap and trade isn't going to happen. So stop worrying about it.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
from hussein obama's own mouth he said his plans would sky-rocket our utilities. You know he's pnly doing that because he cares

Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yet China and India are exempt among other "developing" nations ?

Unless ALL countries agree, it defeats the purpose and puts greater economic strain on those countries that implement it. It gives an unfair advantage to those developing countries as more industries will just offshore their work to escape the regulations.
Lack of regulation, both environmental and safety, is a bonus for corporations that offshore their operations. The main motivator is cheap labor, and the few manufacturing industries that will be affected are already offshore. We import most of our steel already, concrete is too expensive to ship across the Pacific, and I really can't think of any other industry that will be affected, though I'm sure I missed some. The concern with Cap and Trade is energy production, not manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies