Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 09:11 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
Whats wrong with a religious group voting as a block. Dont kid yourself, you live in a Christian country and that isnt changing, ever.

As Ive said before the evangelical vote won the Election in 2004. In 08 obama won by default and no amount of energizing the religious vote would have closed that gap. That wont be the case in 2012,. When we start screaming abortion is murder every GD christian in this country will find a booth and pull the ticket.

Be ready
For all you Christian folks who argue that your not trying to force your religion on America, behold the above post. I just wish every Fundamentalist would just own up to it. Btw, America is NOT a Christian nation, at least how the founding fathers envisioned America. Please educate yourselves, Jefferson hated Christianity, so did many others. DON'T DENY that Fundamentalist Christians would dismantle the wall between church and state in a holy heartbeat if they could. What's the difference between groups like Westboro and al Qieda? Not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 PM

112 posts, read 130,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Because once you leave this earth (die), you will not have any additional opportunites to make a choice in the matter. It's too late when we die to decide whether Jesus is the Son of God or mere mortal. Who are we to question the creator of the universe about whether this is "fair" or not? It wasn't fair for Jesus to suffer and die on that Cross for OUR sins but He did it out of love for humanity. It is up to us whether we embrace this gift of salvation or not. The choice we make here on earth will determine where we spend eternity.
This is what you are told, so this is what you believe.

I cant argue with that. However it sounds more like a selfish human trait to NEED to be told that you are god's son or risk damnation, and once you are standing face to face, they just say... "Told ya so!!! Sorry you had your chance, BYE!!!" I cant imagine why a spiritual entity would have such an egotistical need.

If my appreciation for different cultures as well as christ himself gets me thrown into hell with child molesters and thieves, well then, you can have a party watching me fry from heaven.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
This is what you are told, so this is what you believe.

I cant argue with that. However it sounds more like a selfish human trait to NEED to be told that you are god's son or risk damnation, and once you are standing face to face, they just say... "Told ya so!!! Sorry you had your chance, BYE!!!" I cant imagine why a spiritual entity would have such an egotistical need.

If my appreciation for different cultures as well as christ himself gets me thrown into hell with child molesters and thieves, well then, you can have a party watching me fry from heaven.
I understand this is all confusing to you and how it does not make sense to your human understanding but you are forgetting the fact that God gave us all free will to decide for ourselves. Ever since the beginning of humanity, we all have chosen in some form to rebel against God. Since the price of sin = death and eternal separation between the sinner and God, it would be unjust for us to escape that punishment. God, in His loving mercy, sent His only begotten Son Jesus to die on the Cross satisfying the penalty of sin once and for all. God does not desire for ANY of us to perish which is why He sent Jesus Christ to die for the sins of humanity. It is up to us to accept that gift or reject it. Do you think it was fair for Jesus, who was sinless, to die a brutal death on the Cross for your sins, my sins and the sins of all humanity? All God is asking in return for that HUGE sacrifice is that we accept this gift of salvation and allow Him to transform our lives. He loves us with an everlasting love but He will not force us to choose Him or take away our free will to decide for ourselves.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin
Whats wrong with a religious group voting as a block. Dont kid yourself, you live in a Christian country and that isnt changing, ever.

As Ive said before the evangelical vote won the Election in 2004. In 08 obama won by default and no amount of energizing the religious vote would have closed that gap. That wont be the case in 2012,. When we start screaming abortion is murder every GD christian in this country will find a booth and pull the ticket.

Be ready

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-iraq-war.html

Hmmmmmmm - you might like to look at this CD poll.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Many members of this forum are Evangelicals so I feel like questions like this can't be asked here since those Evangelicals will obviously say they have nothing in common with radical Muslims. If you've spent any considerable time on this forum, you know who the Evangelicals are and not suprisingly, they are ones on this forum who are in denial about the connection they have to radical Muslims.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I understand this is all confusing to you and how it does not make sense to your human understanding but you are forgetting the fact that God gave us all free will to decide for ourselves. Ever since the beginning of humanity, we all have chosen in some form to rebel against God. Since the price of sin = death and eternal separation between the sinner and God, it would be unjust for us to escape that punishment. God, in His loving mercy, sent His only begotten Son Jesus to die on the Cross satisfying the penalty of sin once and for all. God does not desire for ANY of us to perish which is why He sent Jesus Christ to die for the sins of humanity. It is up to us to accept that gift or reject it. Do you think it was fair for Jesus, who was sinless, to die a brutal death on the Cross for your sins, my sins and the sins of all humanity? All God is asking in return for that HUGE sacrifice is that we accept this gift of salvation and allow Him to transform our lives. He loves us with an everlasting love but He will not force us to choose Him or take away our free will to decide for ourselves.
I am not forgetting about free will!!! My free will tells me that anything is possible, period! This is not confusing, its clear to me. There is no benefit to boxing yourself into one religion when clearly so many cultures exist that live peaceful lives.

Christians do not have a monopoly on family values and morals. Its absurd to try and make me believe that someday the whole planet has to be Christian or SUFFER. I will never buy that.

I know you mean well, and I do believe you are speaking from your heart, but seriously, I'm not confused, or lost and I dont need saving. This very act is what gives people a bad perception of your religion.

Basically, I believe in the same morals as you do, except I dont stop there, I believe there is merit and wisdom in what other religions say as well, and many of the morals are identical to the teachings of Christianity.

Learning what other cultures believe across the globe keeps me stimulated, and by finding the similarities in all of them, I find REAL truth. I am content to sit on the sidelines and ponder all possibilities. I am not happy with hearing the same old regurgitated parables repeated over & over & over from one religious camp, it seems like brainwashing!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,826 times
Any religion can be warped but crazy people so even though I am a Christian I can see the beauty in other religions including Islam. Is my faith based in another religion? No my faith is in Christianity.

Being a Christian or any religion for that matter is done or should be by choice and once that choice is made you follow the laws of that religion. All religions have laws that need to be followed to save your soul. In Christianity is is believing in Jesus and that he is the son of God and died for our sins. There is nothing hypocritical or underhanded about it. It is pretty simple.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
they both make rules which they themselves never follow.
they think they can make things better by praying for the destruction of all mankind.
they tend to be angry and dogmatic alot.
they think their will and gods are the same
they lack a sense of fairness in all their works
they believe women and children should not dominate men
1 out of 6 is not bad

Old 11-28-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Any religion can be warped but crazy people so even though I am a Christian I can see the beauty in other religions including Islam. Is my faith based in another religion? No my faith is in Christianity.

Being a Christian or any religion for that matter is done or should be by choice and once that choice is made you follow the laws of that religion. All religions have laws that need to be followed to save your soul. In Christianity is is believing in Jesus and that he is the son of God and died for our sins. There is nothing hypocritical or underhanded about it. It is pretty simple.
That was a pretty straight forward statement as you are just explaining your own beliefs. Nothing to argue with there and certainly nothing hypocritical.

Its when it extends into.. "and if you dont believe this too, you are going to hell" that I start debates.

I will always debate that everyone is entitled to believe as they wish, but in the simplest purest form, all religions boil down to:

1) good vs evil
2) generosity vs selfishness
3) light vs dark
4) love vs. hate
5) understanding vs. ignorance
6) kindness vs callousness

and on and on.

For all those who pick the positive end of the spectrum, we are all on the same team no matter whose name you declare it under.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
I'm not a Christianity "expert" but I do what what my beliefs are about as I've studied the Bible for myself. Since this argument is getting us nowhere, why don't you stop acting as if you know what Christianity is all about and I'll not act as if I know what atheism is all about. Deal?
Can't defend your words, I see.
Then why don't you do the same. You're no expert.
So stop claiming that you know who is and is not xian.

Atheism is easy to understand.
Anyone can understand it.
It's very simple: we have no belief in a god-thing.
Period.
You can (and do) try to attach other things to it, knowing it's bogus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies