Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:28 PM

900 posts, read 673,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The founding fathers were Christian and the government they set up is far from being anything remotely like Saudi Arabia. Next!
That's because, unlike the modern day fundamentalist Christians, they were well educated and learned men, who understood the importance of science and learning.

And by the way, some of our founding fathers - such as Thomas Jefferson, for example - weren't all that Christian to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Wow. God certainly wasted his time walking around in human flesh, if this is true.
Of course, that assumes you believe God walked around the earth in human flesh. Since none of us were there, it's one of those grandiose statements that christians make without offering a shred of proof in support.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 PM

112 posts, read 130,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Of course, that assumes you believe God walked around the earth in human flesh. Since none of us were there, it's one of those grandiose statements that christians make without offering a shred of proof in support.
Christians speak with as much authority as muslims. The bible is their "proof" while the quran is the muslim "proof".

Its funny and narrow minded for both insist to the be ONLY way. In either case it seems that the fate of your soul boils down to pure luck since no one chooses which religion they are born into.

Both religions however, when they are non-radical, manage to live a rather peaceful life when they stop trying to conquer the other religions of the world.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 PM

541 posts, read 985,034 times
their brainwashed and brain-dead,not necessarily in that order...

Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Christian evangelist are also jealous of the success Muslim extremist have had. They look at the middle east with its no alcohol, no gambling, no having fun, religious laws, death by stoning, etc in envy.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default Don't tell me you're xian, show me by your actions.

Quote:
Skin heads and other racist groups are NOT Christian. Just because someone sticks a label on themselves does not = fact. I can go on and on about how I am a bird versus a human but no matter how much I say this, I can never become a bird.
Xians are self-identified.
You are if you say you are.
Now you can judge who is or who is not xian?
That's not your job; it's not at all christlike, now is it?
Others may say that you're not xian.
What's to stop them?

Xians murder doctors who do something they disagree with.
Bush said that Iraq was a religious war and that his god-thing told him to attack.
I've seen the aftermath of xians in small hilltribe villages in SE Asia.
I wouldn't give you a dime for any of them.

All religions are corrupt.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Xians are self-identified.
You are if you say you are.
Now you can judge who is or who is not xian?
That's not your job; it's not at all christlike, now is it?
Others may say that you're not xian.
What's to stop them?

Xians murder doctors who do something they disagree with.
Bush said that Iraq was a religious war and that his god-thing told him to attack.
I've seen the aftermath of xians in small hilltribe villages in SE Asia.
I wouldn't give you a dime for any of them.

All religions are corrupt.
We are talking about Christians and Muslims in this thread, not Xians (whatever that is )

Anyways, since you have no understanding of what Christianity is all about, you cannot say what a Christian would do or not. It is NOT Christian like to murder abortionists or bomb clinics - there is nothing in the Bible that would support that behavior. For someone to say they are a Christian while engaging in un-Christ-like behaviors are hypocrites to say the least.

Bush has stated that he does not take the Bible literally so he isn't a Christian either. NO, the Iraq war isn't a religious war, it is a war that was supposed to be about putting an end to terroism (not sure WHAT it is about now but it is certainly isn't a Christian war).

Since I have not been to SE Asian, I cannot comment on what you mean by the "aftermath of xians in small hilltribe villages in SE Asia" as I'm unfamilar with the situation. But I do know that persecution of Christians is very common in many Asian and African nations and they are treated worse than second class citizens. Thank God for the freedom of religion here in the US where atheists such as yourself can be free to express your belief system.

Yes, Christ told us not to judge as only God knows the heart of a person but the Bible also stated that we can judge the fruits that they produce. If it's bloodshed, selfishness and cruelty, it isn't Christian. Basically, if you are not following Christ and His teachings, you are not a Christian. Being Christian means much more than slapping a label on yourself - it is a life that has been transformed by the power of Christ once a believer has accepted Jesus' gift of salvation. There are many that call themselves Christian but very few actually practice true Christianity.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 PM

112 posts, read 130,265 times
Quote:
We are talking about Christians and Muslims in this thread, not Xians (whatever that is )

Anyways, since you have no understanding of what Christianity is all about, you cannot say what a Christian would do or not. It is NOT Christian like to murder abortionists or bomb clinics - there is nothing in the Bible that would support that behavior. For someone to say they are a Christian while engaging in un-Christ-like behaviors are hypocrites to say the least.

Bush has stated that he does not take the Bible literally so he isn't a Christian either. NO, the Iraq war isn't a religious war, it is a war that was supposed to be about putting an end to terroism (not sure WHAT it is about now but it is certainly isn't a Christian war).

Since I have not been to SE Asian, I cannot comment on what you mean by the "aftermath of xians in small hilltribe villages in SE Asia" as I'm unfamilar with the situation. But I do know that persecution of Christians is very common in many Asian and African nations and they are treated worse than second class citizens. Thank God for the freedom of religion here in the US where atheists such as yourself can be free to express your belief system.

Yes, Christ told us not to judge as only God knows the heart of a person but the Bible also stated that we can judge the fruits that they produce. If it's bloodshed, selfishness and cruelty, it isn't Christian. Basically, if you are not following Christ and His teachings, you are not a Christian. Being Christian means much more than slapping a label on yourself - it is a life that has been transformed by the power of Christ once a believer has accepted Jesus' gift of salvation. There are many that call themselves Christian but very few actually practice true Christianity.
The ONLY thing that bothers me about any religion is when people make a statement like "the only way is MY way". I think we live on a very diverse planet and dont understand how each of the different religions dont understand that it would be a cruel joke for a god to REALLY create only one TRUE religion.

Imagine how you would feel, if you get up to "heaven" and you see "Allah". He laughs wickedly and flushes you down to hell. You cant help the fact that you are Christian, this is what YOU were taught was the ONLY way.

Now, for you to say that a peaceful Buddhist Monk is going to encounter Jesus on Judgement day and will be flushed to hell because their culture taught them to live a peaceful life via Buddha is implying the same thing.

If we are going to quote the bible, how about... not making any graven images? A face or a symbol should not be put on any religion since this strips the spirituality and causes debate on who said what, who said it first, and who said it best. They are all teaching the same morals at the core, and the rest boils down to mankinds own ego.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
There are many many paths to attain the same universal truths and they can be found in christianity as well as every other major religion.
We hear this a lot, that there are "many paths". The problem with that whole theory is that it's an intellectual conclusion. Those paths are all traveled via the intellect. Knowing Christ (not knowing about Christ) is a spiritual, not intellectual transformation. Christianity is not a religion, and religion is not Christianity. There is a world of difference.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Oh. OK. That explains everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies