Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
1. Having access to abortion is a universal right for women.

2. Abortion helps control population growth.

3. Abortion helps lower crime rate.

4. Abortion saves society cost for unwanted children.

Murdering a child is never a solution for society's ills

If a woman does not want to get pregnant she should (a) use birth control and insist that her partner uses a condom or (b) keep her legs closed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:49 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

1. According to whom? You? Assuming it is a right, does that include not having to pay for it? Not in my world.

2. So does abstinence. And sterilization.

3. Really? Do you have proof of that?

4. Again, so does abstinence, and sterilization.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:50 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I hope there are NO women getting back alley abortions, now or ever again. but when you limit, tax, and make more expensive abortions, like the poster suggested, then it only punishes poor women who have a hard time coming up with the 400 bucks to get a safe legal abortion. abortion is here to stay and some women get so desperate that if they are unable to get one legally or can not figure out how to pay for it, or would have to travel hundreds of miles to get one, they will do whatever it takes for them to terminate. I don't want any woman to face that.
But public funding for elective abortions is already prohibited. I haven't heard about a rash of back alley abortions so low-income women who really want them are getting them somehow.

If you're so concerned about poor women getting abortions then donate to planned parenthood. I already pay enough taxes for things I don't agree as it is. I don't see the need to add yet another entitlement.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
If someone's wife or worse; 14 YO daughter were gang raped and wound up pregnant............where would that man's 'prolife's' beliefs be then?

Note I do not approve of abortion: but, my being a man (since I cannot get pregnant), I have no say so over a woman's choice to abort or carry to term. So, yes, I am technically Pro Choice----------which also extends to a girl/woman's choice to carry to term despite possible family pressure to abort.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
drugs are another issue all together. apples and oranges. so you would prefer poor women put their health at risk with a back alley abortion rather than to pay for it? you want women to feel punished because some people don't approve of what their choice is?

Maybe instead of putting their health at risk they could....I know this is shocking to some.....carry the baby to term.

Only elective abortions are not covered by the government, if it is a neccesary abortion they can get it paid for.

It's not the taxpayers responsibility to pay for someone's "choice" and "desire" to terminate a pregnancy

It's not "punishment", it's how life works. They put themselves in that situation, and it is their responsibility to get themselves out of it.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
But public funding for elective abortions is already prohibited. I haven't heard about a rash of back alley abortions so low-income women who really want them are getting them somehow.

If you're so concerned about poor women getting abortions then donate to planned parenthood. I already pay enough taxes for things I don't agree as it is. I don't see the need to add yet another entitlement.
"if I am so concerned donate to planned parenthood" is this the standard answer people give when someone questions restrictions on abortions and the possible effect to low income women? we all pay "enough" taxes, hardly anyone would disagree with that. we don't get a choice what the government does with our tax money do we? no, we don't. it does seem a bit ironic that we won't pay for abortion but we willingly pay both by taxes and the social implications for unwanted children. children that lead terrible lives of poverty and abuse. welfare, prisons, foster care, abused children who grow up and repeat what they were taught by life. yea, cuz that is so much cheaper than paying for abortion

Old 11-29-2009, 06:11 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Murdering a child is never a solution for society's ills

If a woman does not want to get pregnant she should (a) use birth control and insist that her partner uses a condom or (b) keep her legs closed

a. birth control fails.....then what?
b. people are allowed to have sex, do you tell the man to keep it in his pants? telling people to not have sex is unrealistic. besides the people you want to do the right thing are irresponsible and won't....hence the term irresponsible. what do you do about them?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
"if I am so concerned donate to planned parenthood" is this the standard answer people give when someone questions restrictions on abortions and the possible effect to low income women? we all pay "enough" taxes, hardly anyone would disagree with that. we don't get a choice what the government does with our tax money do we? no, we don't. it does seem a bit ironic that we won't pay for abortion but we willingly pay both by taxes and the social implications for unwanted children. children that lead terrible lives of poverty and abuse. welfare, prisons, foster care, abused children who grow up and repeat what they were taught by life. yea, cuz that is so much cheaper than paying for abortion
It's not any more standard than the typical response of some folks to throw money at the problem rather than let people take responsibility for their own damn lives.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
I haven't read all 20 pages yet, but I just wanted to chime in that YES abortions should be made avilable to women through medical clinics, but NO they should not be paid for by the government

Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:

where in the constitution does it say abortion is right.
It might be legal but so was killing the jews. wherei s this universal right you speak of

So does killing everyone over 70. so does drunk drivers op should we make killing while driving drunk legal, everyone over 70 get a bullet to the head. Are you a Maoist communist.

Show me any stat that proves this. How do you say killing a baby that will never live lower the crime rate.

4. Abortion saves society cost for unwanted children.[/quote]

killing 49 million does not save society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies