Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 AM

173 posts, read 364,617 times

Advertisements

Americans are not stupid

They may not like fundamentalist Christianity but they despise fundamentalist Atheism and Agnosticism as well

* Here comes the trolls but it's reality folks ... most Americans despise intolerance ... wherever it comes from ... so you smug Atheists and Agnostics should get rid of lunatics like Richard Dawkins before it's too late *

Why I Think the New Atheists are a Bloody Disaster - Science and the Sacred

I have observed that personally

Some have left Christianity

Some are turning into some form of Deism mixed with nominal Christianity ( Christian in name only )

Many are turning into '' Intelectual Protestantism '' --- Secular Right » The Death of Intellectual Protestantism

It declined and it's going up right back up from other resources I've seen

That is the '' Secular Right '' website and it highlighted it's decline

It's kinda like Renaissance Christainity and deals with Ancient Greece , Ancient Rome , Christianity through the ages , Judaism , the Bible and what not

It's philosophical and whatever

Most or many people are already secular and well are indifferent or just don't care about religion either way

Meaning does not care
People could be Atheists , Agnostics , Deists , Jews , Christians and most could care less

It's extremism that is scaring them

Personally I would prefer if Atheists , Agnostics , Deists , Jews and Christians ( and Pagans and what not ) could all live together and at least just tolerate each other

I'm not American btw but just my 2 cents
( and a Christian too )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
If you read the articles from any of those (at least all that I have read) who cry over the "Loss" of Christianity in society it's their belief that the only way to ever be a good person is to be Christian. Anyone who is not is just some evil heathen that needs to be shown the error of their ways.

Just because some one is Christian or not doesn't make them any better or worse then anyone else, the same with any other broad generalization of religious belief.

Those broad generalizations don't really count for the extremists, nothing good can come from extremism of any type.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:04 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia12345678910 View Post
Personally I would prefer if Atheists , Agnostics , Deists , Jews and Christians ( and Pagans and what not ) could all live together and at least just tolerate each other
I would prefer that also. My only problems with people's religious views come when they the the idea that their religion/or lack theirof can do no wrong and if somehow they were able to legislate their morality on everyone else the country would be a better place...Kind of like you suggest we do in some of your other posts.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-27-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
First of all, there is no 'fundementalist atheism'. There are no mega congregations of atheists.

Quite unlike the evangelical/fundementalist christians sects that have dominated one particular political party (in a country where there are only two parties) to the point of its destruction.

That is what I - non believer that I may be - fear. It is wrong to write law based on ones particular brand of christianity's view of the bible. Hell, it's not just wrong - it is scary as hell.

Myself and most atheists and agnostics don't care if we see a nativity scene on the lawn of the courthouse (I love those), or see the ten commandments in a public park (good rules to live by, after all). Those that do and create a stink about it are famewh*res nothing more. Because there is no giant organized atheistic movement, and there never will be.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:16 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
The religious right is upset that America isn't a fascist theocracy. The fact that religion doesn't dictate every aspect of life offends them. Nobody makes a big deal out of this but them.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
First of all, there is no 'fundementalist atheism'. There are no mega congregations of atheists.

Quite unlike the evangelical/fundementalist christians sects that have dominated one particular political party (in a country where there are only two parties) to the point of its destruction.

That is what I - non believer that I may be - fear. It is wrong to write law based on ones particular brand of christianity's view of the bible. Hell, it's not just wrong - it is scary as hell.

Myself and most atheists and agnostics don't care if we see a nativity scene on the lawn of the courthouse (I love those), or see the ten commandments in a public park (good rules to live by, after all). Those that do and create a stink about it are famewh*res nothing more. Because there is no giant organized atheistic movement, and there never will be.
I agree, but I wonder how you can say that, as a non-believer, you think it's "scary as hell"!

scary wrong, perhaps.
But
an athiest saying it's scary as hell is akin to saying: It's as scary as an imaginary scary place.

LOL! Is it not?!

Old 11-27-2009, 01:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Too much definition leads to a loss of clarity.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I agree, but I wonder how you can say that, as a non-believer, you think it's "scary as hell"!

scary wrong, perhaps.
But
an athiest saying it's scary as hell is akin to saying: It's as scary as an imaginary scary place.

LOL! Is it not?!

As the saying goes...its just an expression. After all, when my car won't start on a cold day I really don't believe it is a 'lazy mother f***ing son of a b***h

Old 11-27-2009, 03:13 PM

272 posts, read 215,893 times
The Christian right makes a very nice voting block. As much as you want to make it about good and evil or people trying to force their views on others the reality is that its all political. The left has coalitions the right have theirs. If you dont think the GOP can get out the religious vote and win an election then you have a bad memory because thats exactly what happened in Ohio in 04.

Short of Obama running off with Monica the slot, Republicans werent winning in 08. Thats something that even energizing the evangelical base could not have cahnged. After shoving it up liberal booty for 8 years and a biased media conspiring to tear down a reasonably good President the empty suit won by default.

I wouldnt be resting on what will amount to thin liberal laurels in 2012

Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
If you dont think the GOP can get out the religious vote and win an election then you have a bad memory because thats exactly what happened in Ohio in 04.
Diebold played a bigger role in Ohio in 04.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies