Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I fear this is just the first of many foreign policy mistakes to be made by the Obama administration. They just don't have what it takes.

We should have backed the government of Honduras, their Congress, and their Supreme Court when they did the right thing to stop Zelaya of pulling a Chavez on the country.

When Zelaya tried to circumvent the country's Constitution this should have been a red flag for the Obama administration and they should have at least stayed out of it and let the Honduran government do what needed to be done to avoid the attempt to install a dictatorship.

I know the left wing loons will start talking about how corrupt the existing government was and that Zelaya was just trying to set things straight. Before we take the sliver out of someone else's eye we should be aware of the log in ours first.

I am also sure that the left wing loons will attempt to bring up a Bush administration scew up to deflect the obvious ineptness of the Obama administration. Feel free to, I am not Bush fan which is why I did not vote for him his second run. I am not afraid to admit mistakes like some.

Notice the difference between both of these men? Neither is running for President. One still wants to be President forever. Does Hugo Chavez ring a bell? The other just wants his government to move on and start functioning again with normalized relationships with the world.

Manuel Zelaya, the left-leaning president ousted in a June 28 coup, is urging Hondurans to boycott the vote, hoping overwhelming abstention will discredit the election and persuade the international community not to recognize the next government.

The interim government of Roberto Micheletti hopes the election is Honduras' ticket out of months of isolation and foreign aid cuts that have deepened poverty in this banana-exporting nation and turned it into a pariah state.

We sure made a great impression with this Zelaya backer.

"The best thing for this country is not to vote to show the world, the United States, which stabbed us in the back and betrayed us," said Edwin Espinal, whose 24-year-old wife, Wendy, died of from asthma complications a day after soldiers hurled tear gas to disperse her and other protesters demanding Zelaya's return.

We have made a huge mess of this situation and only the people of Honduras will be the ones to pay the price. Great move Obama administration.

Honduras hopes to move past coup with election - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091129/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_honduras_elections - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:31 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
The election is a joke. It is ran by the coup leaders and some countries like Brazil and Argentina have already announced they will not recognize the results of the elections.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The election is a joke. It is ran by the coup leaders and some countries like Brazil and Argentina have already announced they will not recognize the results of the elections.
Did you mean to say that leftist-leaning Latin American countries including Brazil and Venezuela say they will refuse to recognize the vote?

Lobo has blamed the political crisis on divisions within Santos' Liberal Party, which turned against Zelaya over his deepening alliance with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and attempts to rewrite the Honduran constitution.

Zelaya argued he wanted to shake up a political system dominated by two traditional parties controlled by a few wealthy families. Opponents said his real intention was to extend his time in power by lifting a ban on presidential re-election, as Chavez did in Venezuela.

Zelaya argued he wanted to shake up a political system dominated by two traditional parties controlled by a few wealthy families.

This sounds like something that is needed here in the US too.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Did you mean to say that leftist-leaning Latin American countries including Brazil and Venezuela say they will refuse to recognize the vote?
No, I said Brazil and Argetina, and that is what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies