Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 01:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,391,254 times

Advertisements

The line was long as Arleen Avila pulled her 2002 silver Mercedes SUV into the drive-through lane of a Visalia fast-food restaurant.

Avila, 46, says she has suffered from Parkinson's disease for 11 years and takes several medications for the condition. While waiting for her lunch at In-N-Out Burgers on Mooney Boulevard, she dozed off.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/NEWS01/705150312 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 PM

340 posts, read 742,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The line was long as Arleen Avila pulled her 2002 silver Mercedes SUV into the drive-through lane of a Visalia fast-food restaurant.

Avila, 46, says she has suffered from Parkinson's disease for 11 years and takes several medications for the condition. While waiting for her lunch at In-N-Out Burgers on Mooney Boulevard, she dozed off.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/NEWS01/705150312 (broken link)
Unfortunate situation for all involved... I doubt the Police had bad intentions (tough job) and if the woman is truly that sick and taking medicine which makes her sleepy or drowsy, she should not be endangering her life or the lives of others by driving... Delivery ????

Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,583,439 times
She didn't fall asleep driving, she 'nodded off' while parked and waiting in a drive through. You've never dozed while sitting in a car WAITING for something or someone?? Never??

She drove to the window, got her food and was driving out when the police stopped her. That's a far step from being a 'danger'...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
She didn't fall asleep driving, she 'nodded off' while parked and waiting in a drive through. You've never dozed while sitting in a car WAITING for something or someone?? Never??

She drove to the window, got her food and was driving out when the police stopped her. That's a far step from being a 'danger'...
I wasn't there, so it would be impossible to completely judge the situation... Why the mention of all the medications if it is not a factor ?? Her own lawyer (who has represented her before, a problem here ??) says :

Quote:
Romaine said he has represented Avila in the past.

"Sometimes people afflicted with Parkinson's and similar diseases do not have the patience that most people have," he said, "and misunderstandings can occur quite easily."

Like I said before, unfortunate situation for all.. Do the police need better training ?? Maybe. In my opinion did they intentionally try to do harm to this woman, especially in front of all those patrons/passersby ?? Highly doubtful.. Can the officers involved read her mind, know her medical conditions, and come to the instant conclusion that "Oh", It's just Mrs. Avila, and she has a medical condition that makes her refuse to exit her vehicle and instead yell at us, so just let her go"... NO, I don't think so.

The police have to investigate when called, and sometimes it get's ugly for many different reasons, with no bad intentions on anyone's part... I am sure there will be an investigation, and corrections made if needed.. Maybe you are or were a police officer in the past, but if not, it is completely impossible for you to know the emotions involved with doing the job, and the fact that you will almost always be "wrong" when the armchair quarterbacks who have days, months, or years to think about you're actions that had to be taken in seconds, come into play...

Old 05-16-2007, 04:29 PM

126 posts, read 548,390 times
The womand "dozed off" in line at a drive-thru! She had to be "rousted by other drivers"....according to the article.
When police arrived, her speech was slurred and she was unable to comply w/their requests. She is on several meds for Parkinsons. I can tell you, those meds are heavy duty.
The woman has no business driving. Unfortunate, but true.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
The womand "dozed off" in line at a drive-thru! She had to be "rousted by other drivers"....according to the article.
When police arrived, her speech was slurred and she was unable to comply w/their requests. She is on several meds for Parkinsons. I can tell you, those meds are heavy duty.
The woman has no business driving. Unfortunate, but true.
Yep... Unfortunate, but a risk you unfortunately have to take when you are unable to think or act rationally due to disease or meds, and then go into public... I feel sorry for her and everyone else who cannot live a "normal" life due to illness, I hope it is something we never have to go through.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM

126 posts, read 548,390 times
Well, there is little risk involved, unless you are operating heavy machinery or say, driving a motor vehicle. Being unable to think and/or act rationally is pretty obviously, a disqualifier for driving. On a personal note, my mother was in a car w/a woman w/a similar medical condition. The other woman was driving. Due to her condition, they were in a horrible accident. The woman was gravely injured, became an amputee, later died due to complications. Fortunately, my mother did not sustain life threatening injuries.
I feel very sorry for individuals afflicted w/conditions preventing them to be fully mobile, however, it really is for their own safety and for others, that I say....in certain cases these individuals should not be driving.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
Well, there is little risk involved, unless you are operating heavy machinery or say, driving a motor vehicle. Being unable to think and/or act rationally is pretty obviously, a disqualifier for driving. On a personal note, my mother was in a car w/a woman w/a similar medical condition. The other woman was driving. Due to her condition, they were in a horrible accident. The woman was gravely injured, became an amputee, later died due to complications. Fortunately, my mother did not sustain life threatening injuries.
I feel very sorry for individuals afflicted w/conditions preventing them to be fully mobile, however, it really is for their own safety and for others, that I say....in certain cases these individuals should not be driving.
Well, actually the risk in my opinion is being in public period... If you are acting strangely, irrationally, etc., you are going to attract the attention of say "The Police", or maybe you will walk in front of a car or bus, or appear vulnerable to someone who takes advantage of that type of situation... Maybe after years of seeing people with disabilities/disease exploited as well as accidentally harmed, I feel being in public is a risk in itself...

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,274,023 times
I have NEVER gotten in my car at a time when I was tired enough to NODD OFF...

I know my own limitations and if I am tired I am lucky to know my own name, never mind know how to drive a car safely.

I am sure the police thought she was drunk...I know I probably would have...or hopped up on pharmacueticals...

You don't have to be abusing illegal drugs or alcohol to be considered intoxicated while driving...she might every well have Parkinsons and be taking the medication perscribed by her doctor...thats why these meds say to not operate heavy machinery until you know how the medication will effect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies