Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times

Advertisements

Great news!! Makes my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
I am doing the happy dance he is dead.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Great news and will save the taxpayers lots of money.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Something like this and you still don't believe in capitol punishment?? I just can't understand...

He has been released several times, always to turn around and commit worse crimes. Remember when I mentioned to you, not long ago people do get out and repeat. Yes, he never murdered before as far as we know, but his release alone shows anyone can get out. Even the sentences that say "without parole" can be commuted. We never know. In this case, it didn't take God to know he killed 4 innocent people, people who were protecting us from harm or trying to protect us..

Nita
No, I still do NOT support capital punishment. I have never contended that people who get out of prison for crimes OTHER THAN FIRST DEGREE MURDER don't murder people. I've said all along, in my strong support for life without parole ever, that people convicted of first degree murder and sent to death row don't get released. NO ANYONE cannot get out; that is simply not true. Not today, not last week, not in recent time. The only way people sentenced to death row get out is when they are executed or when they are FOUND TO BE INNOCENT OF THE CRIME AND RELEASED. Charles Manson is still in prison, isn't he? And, remember, Manson doesn't even have an LWOP sentence!

Do you realize that you're basically advocating for a death penalty for people who are repeat offenders? Yes, that's what you're saying. It seems to me that you are angry that the man was not executed so Huckabee could not have released him along with 999 other inmates. When this country starts executing people for what they MIGHT DO IN THE FUTURE, well.......may as well move to Iran or China; you'd get better "justice." Who ever told you that life is safe and secure? It is not possible for government or the law to give you or anyone else absolute safety. Not possible.

These days for any public offical to commute a sentence of life without parole ever would be POLITICAL SUICIDE. There is simply no way that would happen. The man in this incident was not sentenced to life without parole. If he had been, then he wouldn't have been released by Huckabee.

Try for just a minute to step outside the circumstances of any specific murder case and see if you can think in terms of logic and reasoning regarding death penalty law. Our justice system is not PERFECT. It cannot predict the future. In an IMPERFECT SYSTEM, there WILL BE MISTAKES and an innocent person will be convicted of a murder they did not commit. That's an absolute. My argument is and always has been for the innocent person who gets caught up in the system by mistake and is executed, and not for the person who did in fact kill another human. For example, Todd Willingham in Texas.

(In a withering critique, a nationally known fire scientist has told a state commission on forensics that Texas fire investigators had no basis to rule a deadly house fire was an arson – a finding that led to the murder conviction and execution of Cameron Todd Willingham.
The finding comes in the first state-sanctioned review of an execution in Texas, home to the country’s busiest death chamber. If the commission reaches the same conclusion, it could lead to the first-ever declaration by an official state body that an inmate was wrongly executed.)
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...-0824-082aug25

I do not believe that ANY KILLER is worth the life of an innocent person when it can so easily be avoided by sentencing people to life in prison without parole rather than, in the heat of enormous passion and emotions, we send an innocent to execution because we want so desperately to get even and try to make things "right." In other words, the death of ONE INNOCENT PERSON BY EXECUTION is far, far, far too costly and not worth it to execute a few of the really guilty. You do realize that we do not "catch" the killers in every murder in the country, don't you? So even with the death penalty, we are not punishing all of them.

Death is different. We cannot afford even ONE MISTAKE.

Last edited by Austin13; 12-01-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Great news!! Makes my day.
Geeee, is that all it takes to "make your day"?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and what would you have had them do, baby sit him??? I hope you are not serious..Of course he was hunted down, he killed 4 innocent police officers.

Nita
Would you have felt different if he had killed 4 guilty drug dealers?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Good, he deserves to be dead....it would have better if he could have died a more slow, agonizing death, but, the world is better off without him.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Geeee, is that all it takes to "make your day"?
Speaking for myself - there are loads of things that "make my day".

But, the situation here certainly is near the top of the list for today

Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Speaking for myself - there are loads of things that "make my day".

But, the situation here certainly is near the top of the list for today
Well, enjoy.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
I honestly don't know WHY anyone would want to waste 100's of thousands of taxpayer dollars to keep a savage like this.....behind bars for LIFE!
And that's why I said that part of me wanted him in prison for the rest of his life ... I agree that it costs a LOT of money to do so.

Most of me is just fine with his death earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Depending on your religious beliefs. Life in prison is nothing compared to eternal Hell.
True enough, but - if it weren't for the financial considerations - I think eternal Hell could be delayed for a few decades, until he died in prison. After all, eternal is eternal - no need to get started right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies