Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM

873 posts, read 1,799,110 times

Advertisements

I have a nephew who is a cop up there. Haven't had the opportunity to talk with him about this yet, but I will. If Austin13 has her way, the Southern Poverty Law Center will sue the cops and anybody else up there that is happy this low life scumbag isn't breathing our air anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,434,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
These cops were armed weren't they? So they couldn't help themselves, how would Joe Schmo off the street help them?
I think this is a great point.

Often I've read the sentiment expressed by gun enthusiasts, when talking about the latest gun massacre, something along the lines of "if me and my Glock were there, things would have turned out differently." Well, maybe yes, and maybe no.

A determined person with a gun can do a helluva lot of damage, and in this case, it didn't matter that the four people killed were not only armed but trained in using their weapons.

I wish I knew the answer. I don't think that repealing the 2nd Amendment is the answer. But each of these tragedies - basically, a nut with a gun - takes a considerable toll on the individuals/families involved as well as society in general.

It is said by some that guns don't kill people, people kill people. And there's no denying the effectiveness of that cute slogan. The sad truths are:

• a gun makes it possible to kill more people more quickly
  • being armed does not make you immune to death by gun
  • the combination of mental instability/criminal intent and a gun results in far more deaths of innocent people than mental instability/criminal intent combined with explosives, knives, motor vehicles, etc.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,208,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
I have a nephew who is a cop up there. Haven't had the opportunity to talk with him about this yet, but I will. If Austin13 has her way, the Southern Poverty Law Center will sue the cops and anybody else up there that is happy this low life scumbag isn't breathing our air anymore.
You are totally clueless, aren't you? You just don't get it. Such tunnel vision that you are almost blind.

There's no reason to be happy about shootings and killings in our streets anywhere. It's all VIOLENCE and that just creates MORE VIOLENCE.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,943,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This individual WAS (past tense) an ANIMAL.
I'm not going to mourn his death at all, the police officer was completely justified to shoot they guy, but he believed the end of the world was upon us and he believed he was Jesus. Most likely, he was schizophrenic.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Doesn't make one darn bit of difference, anyone, especially a criminal that wants to get a gun will always be able to.. He shouldn't have had one..

Nita
I agree with you, Nita. And I don't believe there is any way possible to collect all the guns out there now anyway. I do not support gun control.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,336,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So the point of your whine about gun manufacturers making money was......??
The point was, there are already laws against felons owning guns, but as long as someone can make a buck (manufactures, licensed and unlicensed gun dealers, importers, and even the government), they (as in the criminals of the past, present and future) will have them.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,211,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Well, maybe, if you're lucky, there'll be a high-profile shooting every day, and then you can have an endless succession of immediate gratification days/moments.

Maybe I'm just different; for some reason, shootings in the street and multiple killings just don't make me all that happy.

Perhaps you would do well to find a "high horse"........to take you to a different level of emotion and you wouldn't need those high-profile shootings and killings to make your day.
I think it's because of those that think like you do is one of the reasons we have such a high crime rate in this country..

Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think it's because of those that think like you do is one of the reasons we have such a high crime rate in this country..
I disagree. Btw, exactly how do you "think" I "think"? I'll bet you think I'm "soft on crime"........lol. You could not be more incorrect.

I believe it is those who refuse to think deeper than the surface about violence that just don't get it. The guy was killed, story over, jump up and down, cheer, feel good about the outcome, and on to something new. Those police officers didn't have to die that way. When we ignore the seriously mentally ill, we get violence. It will happen again. Haven't you heard that local jails and prisons are now where we "store" most of our mentally ill? Haven't you seen any documentaries about this subject? Maybe it is just necessary for people to see it up close and personal before they "get" that there is a context in which these things happen.

"In spite of the overwhelming evidence, there are many violence deniers out there. Most of them are commissioners of the state mental health departments. If they acknowledge violence, then they would have to revamp their 'blinders on' policy. Instead of helping the 5% who are most seriously ill, they focus the bulk of their dollars on the 40% with a "diagnosable" mental illness which they define quite broadly. As a result of abandonment of the most seriously ill by the mental health departments, the police have become the de-facto mental health system. Four policemen recently paid the price."

DJ Jaffe: Maurice Clemmons: Mental Illness Does Cause Violence

Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 PM

5,469 posts, read 12,218,195 times
I think they might be moving the bodies of the policemen from the coronor's office now. There are several helicopters hovering over our work site (we're about a mile from the Lakewood police station and not far from the coronor's office). There are just constant reminders of this tragedy all the time. I am going to stop by the makeshift memorial during my lunch break.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,211,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I disagree. Btw, exactly how do you "think" I "think"? I'll bet you think I'm "soft on crime"........lol. You could not be more incorrect.

I believe it is those who refuse to think deeper than the surface about violence that just don't get it. The guy was killed, story over, jump up and down, cheer, feel good about the outcome, and on to something new. Those police officers didn't have to die that way. When we ignore the seriously mentally ill, we get violence. It will happen again. Haven't you heard that local jails and prisons are now where we "store" most of our mentally ill? Haven't you seen any documentaries about this subject? Maybe it is just necessary for people to see it up close and personal before they "get" that there is a context in which these things happen.

"In spite of the overwhelming evidence, there are many violence deniers out there. Most of them are commissioners of the state mental health departments. If they acknowledge violence, then they would have to revamp their 'blinders on' policy. Instead of helping the 5% who are most seriously ill, they focus the bulk of their dollars on the 40% with a "diagnosable" mental illness which they define quite broadly. As a result of abandonment of the most seriously ill by the mental health departments, the police have become the de-facto mental health system. Four policemen recently paid the price."

DJ Jaffe: Maurice Clemmons: Mental Illness Does Cause Violence
Yes I do think you are soft on criminals, understand? And I will add the mental illness thing is just a very poor defense in 99.9% of all crimes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies