Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,291,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Of course not! Im only saying that in certainly communities, police are not seen as 'protectors' but more as 'harassers' and 'enforcers'. I work with impoverished peoples and come across discussions of police often.
It seems to me that the communities that see police not as protectors but more as harassers are the same communities where the most crime is committed. The crime did not come because of any perceived harassment. The perceived harassment came because of the crime. I know that if I committed a crime I would not think that the police were coming to protect me.

You may not be condoning this behavior but you do seem to be trying to provide a reason or an excuse to justify such behavior. You seem to be saying that such behavior is understandable. Even assuming that the police are harassing innocent individuals in black communities, that behavior would be inappropriate and even highly inappropriate. What this guy did was unacceptable and is not justifiable.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,797,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not only did he have a criminal record in Arkansas, the old governor Huckabee pardoned him or he would still be there. if this isn't becoming political with this report think about who will not be running for President in 2012 whether he said he wouldn't or not. He is out of it that year as our memories aren't very long but too long for that one.
Governor Huckabee is a very likeable guy and I agree with him on many issues. But I could never vote for him because he pardoned all those dangerous criminals. This just goes to show what a tragically poor decision that was. Huckabee used Christianity as an excuse to forgive and pardon dangerous criminals. This is Christian left type of thinking. I prefer the way the Christian right handles crime and puishment issues. For example George W Bush did a wonderful job as Governor of Texas by allowing the state to execute a record number of bad guys.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM

5,464 posts, read 12,199,625 times
This shooting happened only 1 mile from where I work. Yesterday while driving through Lakewood running some errands, the place was covered with police, helocopters, even 2 snipers ontop the police station. This is so horrible I can't even begin to explain. 700 people congregated at a non denominational church last night for a vigil. 10 hours after the shooting the bodies of the four slain police were moved to the coroner's office in a police car procession. An american flag was hung between two hoisted cranes and people standing on the street saluted the motorcade as it passed. It was sad.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM

900 posts, read 669,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
The bystanders,
the waiters,
the pedestrians,
the eye witnesses who saw but could not draw ( a pistol)...

Yes, because obviously the people who had guns faired so well!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 AM

900 posts, read 669,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Dead on right.

If someone had been armed the killer would have been the one in cold storage.

We need to clear the streets of scumbags like this one way or another.
I can only conclude that this poster is joking. We had four experienced, trained, and armed police officers gunned down in a coffee shop and somebody actually thinks we needed somebody armed in the coffee shop to stop this?

What am I missing here?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,798,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
I can only conclude that this poster is joking. We had four experienced, trained, and armed police officers gunned down in a coffee shop and somebody actually thinks we needed somebody armed in the coffee shop to stop this?

What am I missing here?
At this time there is no proof that an armed citizen could have stopped this ambush. Likewise there is no proof one could not have made a difference. Keyboard quarterbacking when the known facts of the case are limited at best will always be off-base.

The supposition claiming CCW would absolutely have stopped this murderer is just as flawed as the supposition that armed police officers are always as situationally aware as they should be; and, that they will always be trained to a level that exceeds the training of any armed citizen.

This is a tragedy that was avoidable on so many levels of the "criminal justice" system including the suspected murderer's most recent release on bail for child-rape and assault of a LEO.

When society finally accepts that there are evil predators in our midst that must be permanently removed from society, then, and only then, will we stop experiencing murders by repeat offenders of the most violent kind.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,266,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Dead on right.

If someone had been armed the killer would have been the one in cold storage.

You mean like the 4 cops?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This is Christian left type of thinking.

LOLOL Blame it on the liberals. Nice spin. You RW apologists really do love to shuck and jive.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Just read on Seattle Times that they somehow have confirmed the perp is wounded. And they think he may be on the UW Campus. Yikes!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM

392 posts, read 1,093,307 times
These horrible, sub-humanm acts are always committed by those who blame others for their F-ups in life. This worthless scum has spent the majority of his life in prison for violent crimes he did. But in his twisted mind, he blamed cops for it. It must be someone else's fault.

These were good cops too. None of them were the hard core militant type officers we read about. They were good people with families, just doing their jobs. This is such a sad event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies