Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

I would like to reply to your reply point by point but don't see any use in doing so since you have done that old liberal thing of attacking with nothing but attempt to change the topic as much as possible. If you read that letter you did so with a very hard leaning attitude so nothing in it really got through your liberal shield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
As a white woman who is about fifteen years younger than the author of this letter, I don't identify much with what she says. For me, the eight years preceding Obama pretty much sucked. This would be my letter, and I would be overjoyed if someone could find common ground between us. I've tried to offer a pretty much point-by-point response to what she says.

I am sick of the idea of states' rights. States' rights has meant that at least 5000 black people have been killed because of lynching, and it also meant that the Jim Crow system survived far longer than it should have. People tried to launch anti-lynching measures over and over again in the U.S., and they failed because of states' rights arguments, even under FDR. States' rights arguments have also ensured that public education has languished in the Deep South as compared to the rest of the country as documented by every possible measure.

I could care less about illegal immigration. A working class, former waiter girl, I know exactly how the service economy works in the U.S. Undocumented workers work in the back of the house, outside of restaurant patrons' view. I serve the food and charm the guests; dishwashers wash the dishes. I have no idea if my great-grandparents had papers or not when they arrived on Ellis Island in 1910, and I don't care. We made it work, and we will continue to.

The stimulus bill was an unnecessary evil born out of a lack of regulation in both the housing and investment markets. I don't like it, but it is necessary discipline. A bunch of people behaved like children, consumers and businesses alike. We are now grounded, but at least we're not starving.

A czar is just a metaphor for a person who is in charge of things. Czars were the pre-Soviet name for rulers. I really don't get why people are upset with this one.

Some form of cap and trade is probably necessary because, unfortunately, many people refuse to assume the costs of their actions and selfishly want everyone else to pay. See behaving like children above. In my lifetime, and I have lived in both rural and urban areas, our shared physical space has deteriorated. We have to stop this somehow. I'd be welcome to hear other alternatives.

I would love an ethos of less government control. Can my gay friends get married, now, please?

There are serious misunderstandings of ACORN. ACORN was arguably entrapped. Haliburton, Blackwater, and other firms have been accused of far worse, and their alleged crimes have cost into the billions. This issue is a species of red herring.

There has always been redistribution of wealth. When I trade my labor for money, redistribution of wealth is happening. The problem is that now, wealth is being concentrated into fewer and fewer hands. Working people should be upset at the oligarchs about this, and these people are not in public service.

I don't know what the letter writer means about charitable contributions. How has this category changed?

Corporate bailouts have been happening since the emergence of corporations. See above. The corporate bailouts of late 2008/early 2009 were meant to forestall a far worse crisis--a necessary evil.

I don't see how the increase in spending since November 2008 has been unprecedented. I'd like to see some numbers, scaled for today's values, to support that.

Finally, I don't see how our Constitution is really threatened today. The PATRIOT Act did more to threaten it in 2001-2002 than anything else I've seen.
I am right with you Diva360.

My only point I'd like to add is that I do believe that the shock and awe reactions to the semantics of the "czar" word is just melodramatic hysteria.

This word was brought to us FIRST during the Reagan administration!

Remember Nancy and her "Just Say 'No to drugs'" campaign?

How quickly people forget. "Czar" began with the beloved "Dutch"! Gee, Thanks Gipper

Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
What's with all the postings of spam e-mails lately? Can't people generate real discussion based on their own thoughts rather than spamming the board with the contents of their junk box?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
This "Unhappy American" is also a very stupid American.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I am right with you Diva360.

My only point I'd like to add is that I do believe that the shock and awe reactions to the semantics of the "czar" word is just melodramatic hysteria.

This word was brought to us FIRST during the Reagan administration!

Remember Nancy and her "Just Say 'No to drugs'" campaign?

How quickly people forget. "Czar" began with the beloved "Dutch"! Gee, Thanks Gipper
I know, and I remember that. The whole Czar thing started with the Reagans. I don't understand why this gets to people. Don't people understand that Czar was a pre-Bolshevik term?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Love this letter. Almost everyone I know would love every word of it. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
An unsigned forwarded spam email.
Excellent.

Get over it, you lost.
These problems didn't start on 20 Jan 09.

How much has Bush's war cost to date?
COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War
get over bush. he lost.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
get over bush. he lost.
He wasn't running....I truly do despair.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
An unsigned forwarded spam email.
Excellent.

Get over it, you lost.
These problems didn't start on 20 Jan 09.

How much has Bush's war cost to date?
COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War
Well, who did you vote for? Oh wait, you're an enlightened expat who fled America for a better place. Why should we care what people like you think?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would like to reply to your reply point by point but don't see any use in doing so since you have done that old liberal thing of attacking with nothing but attempt to change the topic as much as possible. If you read that letter you did so with a very hard leaning attitude so nothing in it really got through your liberal shield.
Why do you seem more interested in labeling the poster than responding to the ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies